Super Street Fighter 4: Cross-up Tatsu Wake-up Ultra edition.
  • What falls of the little old man being dragged ha.

Literally no idea Smangu, randomly stumbled across it on twitter.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    It makes sense if you want to attract all the pro fifa blads to top up attendance and get dat paypuh.

As opposed to a wandering holiday man in a hat with his luggage valet behind.

They've no class.
  • Ahaha Turquoise Jeep
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Be right at home in a background.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    SSF2T is on arcade cabs? Wut?

Supergun most likely... 
    Most players would surely want to use their own controllers...

Fifa though... I'm a Pro Evo loyalist.

Appealing venue though, with a brief look at those pics, eh?

Smang wrote:
    holy shit and they're playing Garou, it's like someone reached into my brain and stole my house.

I have this on Dreamcast... I main Terry Bocat.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • We ran a qualifier for the Street Fighter 25th Tournament Series event in Paris at the weekend.

44 man bracket for AE and five other tournaments ran in the same day. Was a bit hectic, but great craic. Videos should be appearing on the brianvondoom youtube channel soon.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Sub'd.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Fifa though... I'm a Pro Evo loyalist. 
    word
     I have this on Dreamcast... I main Terry Bocat.

STANDARD! B. Jenet over here.
  • Hori stick dispatched.  SFIV despatched.  Should be receiving the goods this Friday,  anyone up for some fighting?
  • 360?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Also. SFIV or SSFIV(AE)?
  • vanilla is tight. dibs on Sagat. i like to rock the low tiers to make it more challenging
  • If I can tear myself away from Dishonoured, I'll play. (Unless its PS3 or IVanilla, which I don't have.)

I'm gonna main Gen. ;)
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Also. SFIV or SSFIV(AE)?

Its the Arcade Edition, but I have quite a hankering for this so can get the other one also if nobody has teh AE version
  • we all have it :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I am going to be utter gash at this btw...  haven't played a SF game for many many many years.  I think I was a teenager, which is longer ago than I care to admit.
  • Well the regulars here will be able able to give you tons of advice, Jimmeh, and there are places like www.shoryuken.com that have guides and forums that literally overflowing with information for players new and experienced.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Was is Frantic or JRPC who was learning the game a while back?

Best thing you can do is find a sparring partner at similar experience level.
  • Or approach it like you're playing Dark Souls and PREPARE TO DIE.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Ok it was JRPC, and I wrote him a little intro thing that I'll post again for Jimmy.

The things that don't make sense below just ignore, after some time playing refer back to it and see how you're doing.
    I’ll just talk a bit about learning to get to a competitive level at SFIV. It’s the one I recommend of the games you’re up for trying. I’m not sure of your knowledge and skill level, so I apologise if I’m over explaining things. I’ll briefly explain some terminology as there are inconspicuous words in the SF lexicon that have a very specific meaning.

Normals – any attack button or attack that isn’t a special move, super, ultra, throw or command normal.

Command Normal - a direction and attack button that creates a new move. An example is > + medium punch with Ryu which hits overhead.

Overhead – an attack that must be blocked standing up.

Combo – a string of attacks that the opponent is unable to block if the first hit connected.

Link – a strict timing combo. One that you can’t dial in like a tekken chain (punch punch kick you can press as quickly as you like, for an example in that game, and it will all connect).Links exist because when some moves connect, your opponent is a reeling animation of ‘recovery’, during which time your move ends and there is a very strict window of opportunity to input the next one.

Cancel – interrupting the animation of one move to combo a second. Normals cancel into special moves, special moves cancel into supers. It’s not a quirk of the game system like links, it’s a deliberate mechanic that allows you to pile on damage, and for new player it’s one of the first things to master. An example is cancelling Ryu’s standing fierce (hp) into a shoryuken. Whilst the fierce connects, input the shoryuken.

Lp/mp/hp lk/mk/hk – low punch, medium punch, hard punch, light kick, medium kick, hard kick

QCF - quarter circle forward motion used for hadouken, and inputted twice before many ultras

Crossup – jumping deliberately over someone’s head, and inputting a normal in the air that designed to hit them in the back. They face one way, and get hit from the other. It’s hard to block the right way, can even be as bad as 50% likely that they can block it, with no risk for you. This is called gambling in your favour, and it’s my whole playstyle.

- That’s as much terminology as you need to start deliberately practicing stuff that will help you win.

There are two ways you can get better at SFIV. One player things (1p) and two player things. The former requires more patience, but both lead to progression of skill.

1p

It’s about execution. Let’s take an easy example with Ryu, then something a bit harder.

Cancel combo

Let’s put a crossup in here so you practice two techniques at once. In training, jump over the dummy, and at the last possible moment in the air hit mk. You should hit their back shoulder and land next to them, automatically forcing them to switch direction. When it connects, hit hp, and immediately do a mp shoryuken for a 4 hit combo. If your struggling with the shoryuken, try activating it with down forward tapped twice rather than the traditional towards, down, down forward and punch. This is an input shortcut, SFIV is full of them.

When you can do this combo consistently, try it after you get a throw in a match. They can’t stand quickly, so it’s hard to block the air mk, therefore the rest will connect.

Another fun cancel combo. > +hp command normal, cancel into shoryuken.

Link Combo

Ryu has a silly little combo, where you can link his low medium punch into itself, and then link a low roundhouse for a knockdown (one which you can’t rise quickly from, giving you more advantage to plan your next move). To do this combo you hold down and press mp, mp, hk. Sounds easy? Well links like have a window of one or two sixtieths of a second in which you can input the next move. So how to practice this. Go into training mode, and when you press the mp, press lp at the same time both times. This doubles that window but letting the computer read it as two inputs. Then when you can get a two hit combo from low mp, low mp consistently try adding the hk. But press hk and mk at the same time to increase the chance of that one too. Whole combo:

Lp + mp > lp +mp > mk +hk

Cheap ass combo.

Set the dummy to jump. Do a lp shoryuken whilst he’s in the air. When he’s falling input two qcfs and all three punches. You’ll do an ultra fireball that he can’t avoid. Do this in every match where the opponent jumps a lot.

2p things.

Blocking. It’s underrated. Some games, just see how much pressure you can soak up before you’re hit. A bad to intermediate player can’t get free hits off you if you’re careful.

Everything above requires some patience, and doing that stuff alone is not fun in my opinion. So this is where it counts. Your progression here will live and die by how much you enjoy the game, so if there’s any way you can find someone of similar skill level for regular matches, that’s the best way possible to improve. But something I have been taought recently has really helped me, it’s about how you lose.

It’s fine- for your sanity as well as progression - to play and lose over and over on one condition. That you learned something. If the guy keeps jumping on you, and you had ultra lit, you could have some the cheap ass combo. If you got a throw and didn’t try a crossup combo, remember to next time. Just watch what the opponent does. Much of my play now is about seeing how much rope I need to hand the opponent for them to hang themselves. If they throw two fireballs in a row, move back and forward so you know you’re in jump in range to land a jumping hk into combo. If they jump all the time and you’re struggling to get the shoryuken out, just do down + hp over and over – half the life will disappear and you’re doing almost nothing.

Lastly, just cos I have to give a presentation in a minute, ask ask ask! If you’re really getting into it you’ll find the community is one of the best in gaming for sharing info. Shoryuken.com and mordor-mashup.com are you friends.

Happy fightans
  • A Mordor Mashup is long overdue. Is it worth looking into hiring a place if we can get around 16 people again?
  • I'll think you'll struggle to get those numbers.
  • pro tip - dont jump.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Were I ever to captain a vs-fighter development project I'd take Steps to eliminate linking from the engine, for I hate that shit a lot.
  • Would you allow anything to combo or just specific chains?

SFxT has a good balance between chains and links.

Chains are easy to do and you can end with an EX move or a Super, but links being hard can regular special cancel and do more damage.
  • Chains and legit cancels I'm okay with. Linking, like kara-cancels, is bullshit mack-tha-system wangling and it manages to offend me for some reason.
  • "bullshit mack-tha-system wangling"

Wouldn't describe links like that at all. Kara-cancels are completely different to links.
  • Well, I mean they take advantage of itty-bitty frame advantage and recovery stuff, can confound damage scaling and it just strikes me as a spanner in the general cockaching work of balancing.

I suppose I'd either meticulously ensure no attack anim could outdo a recovery anim when having the frames initially sketched up, or simply just put a kind of ghost data in the system that makes it think there's always an extra frame there so the target is always able to block before the next clean hit would connect, unless it's a specific cancel chain that's on the Official books. Yes, it's prescriptive but I don't care - so are fucking health meters.
  • I have said since the release of IV that all 1f links should be made 2-3f, there's no need for them.

Top players land them what, 95% of the time? To me that 5% where they might miss is not exciting, it's disappointing to see people lose when they miss a combo they can do every other time. The stratergy should be WHICH combo and WHEN, not IF you can do it.

And more importantly, it's an arbitary hurdle to get to the meat of the game which is the mindgames and stratergy. You suddenly open up that part of the game for everyone who can't do 1f links.

Brooks is righ that they're a mathematical quirk of the system. Every game that has hitstun, startup, active and recovery frames that allow the formula to work have 1f links. They're in the old SF games, just no where near as important as in 4. As you say you'd need to trick the system in to stopping it, but it should be done. Pointless bullshit that I've always hated, yet put 1,000+ hours into trying to do with over 50% accuracy and still can't becuase fuck plinking. Sigh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!