regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We cannot normalise CHADLEY
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Chadley follows you around the game, he's not a missable.

Good to know!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • There is a grind thing later which you can access if you want:
    Spoiler:

And then after that:
    Spoiler:

Plus anything you miss can be completed later by using:
    Spoiler:

Ta. I levelled a bit by circling around the areas near the slums.

Just went
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly wrote:
    We cannot normalise CHADLEY

Chadley is a shitheel and I hate him.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The graphics are more realistic yet Chadley wanders around impoverished crime-infested slums and DOESN'T EVEN GET MUGGED FOR HIS FANCY VR HEADSET how does that make any SENSE Square Enix???
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The graphics are more realistic yet Chadley wanders around impoverished crime-infested slums and DOESN'T EVEN GET MUGGED FOR HIS FANCY VR HEADSET how does that make any SENSE Square Enix???

He’s pure Nomura.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WyhtBTD2KPa1vuweQkyEsoQd2QA=.gif
  • Hahaha

I have real reservations about the way all of this flashback stuff pans out.

The fact that an hour in we have
    Spoiler:

Rest of it seems ok though, apart from the fact I am seven hours in and haven't even fought
    Spoiler:
    yet.
  • Yeah wondered that myself. I'm interested to see how it plays out, because the introduction of the
    Spoiler:

Seems super early as well, and would be weird as hell if you hadn't played the original.
  • Also, I love Tifa.

Aerith is gonna have to go some to win my heart.
  • They're absolutely cutting Kalm and other stuff of that ilk. They might keep it for Tifa backstory but pacing  in FF7R is 100% done in the knowledge these games have be standalone and there's expectations re. antagonist and finale. 

Get threads in early - they couldn't afford to leave Sephiroth on the table until after Midgar when this game is...Midgar.
  • The 5 second swamp past the Midgar Zolom in game 2 will be a 1 hour dungeon. "No padding" lol.
  • To be fair, Sephi is mentioned a few times in Midgar and his presence being felt in Shinra Tower is brilliantly atmospheric.

@Matty, there is a tattooed guy in Sector 5 in the original, so I don't have an issue with them being there. It's just the way they did it. Hammer where there should be a scalpel.
  • Padding is the inevitable result of going so big. There was no way they were going to make all those assets for Midgar then whip through some of those sections in minutes. I wonder if they realised how long it was going to take to create Midgar to current standards of detail and switched it to a full game for that reason.

I don't see a perfect solution. Go small and lower budget and you end up with that nasty looking Secret of Mana remake. Try and do it all at at full detail and it could take 15 years. So this is what we've got. Too much padding and a segmeted narrative, but fully fleshed out characters and evironments.

It's also not clear what they can do next. Recreating the whole thing like this still seems out of the question. But the ending here makes for some interesting implications.
  • If they hit the beats of the original they could do good stuff, but they'd have to change a lot. Can't really have Yuffie and Vincent being optional in a modern AAA title.
  • I guess the main story points and locations will still feature (looks like they've made some of them already), although not necessarily played out the same. But I wouldn't be surprised if smaller villages etc were cut, and I'm not sure there'll be an open world at all.
  • I wouldn't miss it TBH, they're of an era of fidelity that can't be replicated well now.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think the thing is everyone kinda thinks 3 original discs = 3 games but in reality you'd have a pretty short last game if it was just Disc 3 because most of the core gameplay was concentrated on the first two. It could be they pad the whole thing because more games means more money or it could be they've focused their recalibration of the story on this one and the remaining games will be more straightforward adaptations (albeit still longer due to cinematic voiced cutscenes, realistic 3D environs vs easily navigable pre-rendered screens etc.)

I think Part 2 will really define the project.
  • Tempy wrote:
    To be fair, Sephi is mentioned a few times in Midgar and his presence being felt in Shinra Tower is brilliantly atmospheric.

Yeah, I think it was Kitase that explained his appearance in the original being kinda like the shark in Jaws.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Part 2 will really define the project.
    Aye, interested to see where they go with this.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    So this is now the fastest selling PlayStation 4 exclusive of all time.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

I liked it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Apart from Chadley.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    without chadley it would have sold twelve copies AND YOU KNOW IT
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I found my absolute jam from FFVII finally, and it's called Due Recompense and go and listen to it on YouTube and tell me this game does not fuck.
  • Still loving it. Just got to
    Spoiler:
  • Squall gunblade miniature replica has been on my computer desk since... well, since shortly after the game was released. 2 days ago, I broke it. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Oh man, that’s sucks. Superglue? I had the same with a little shadow of the colossus figure, also most of my unboxed figures in the loft were in one big box, but it turns out it’s the same box my wife threw a load of Christmas stuff in and then a crib on top, that’s all mostly fucked. Not overly bothered, it’s all just stuff, but still... stuff I liked.
  • Nah; just chucked it. Gonna put something else there now. Maybe the 4 Judge Magisters up. 

I have a Kotobukiya polystone statue of the first colossus with a tiny Wanda. I broke Wanda the day I got it. Superglued him, broke him again while putting it away.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I remember that statue, that was gorgeous. Shame :(
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    FFXII has apparently been patched on PS4 and PC to add feature parity with the later Xbox and Switch versions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!