Final Fantasy - General
  • Why is everything called Nora in FF13.

It’s a really weird battle system. I sort of feels like they’ve shifted Decision aspects mainly to changing the set up of the team rather than the specific things you do like choosing a fire spell or whatever.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's no rationale, you're probably just imagining it, setting things that aren't there
  • It’s a great system though but takes a while to get going. Can’t remember who said it, maybe Tempy, but you don’t see how good it can be until a certain boss fight. After that and specially later in the game it really becomes quite good and tactical.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I mainly remember fighting giant tortoises in FF13. If you break it down, that's about 50% of the game.
  • I cream the boss of the world one minute ten minutes later I’m getting Owned by some slimes in a sewer.
  • Much like Dark Souls where most of bosses are piss, but little enemies can ravage you in seconds.
  • Man Snow is completely thick as bricks.
  • Ha I finally made it to chapter 11. The fabled chapter that opens up the game. And fuck me it’s completely fucking boring. It’s almost as if they were told “why are you doing all this linear shit!? Final Fantasy is about roaming around” “ oh you want an open world do you? Okay we’ll just make this bland map and make you do missions at a waypoint make you back track then make you go past the way point just to carry on moving forward”. Utterly obnoxious and unnecessary.

Also I’m at this point and I still don’t really understand the story.
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Those are Cie'th stones. They are l'Cie that failed to complete their Focus given by the fal'Cie. They turn into crystalline monsters for a while and when they run out of energy they turn into stones.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Got offered this at £25 so thought why not. Not sure it’ll be for me after the demo but I’ll give it a go then sell it on for ore if I don’t like. Any tips before I start?
  • Resist the temptation to just spam out attacks, the game sort of pays homage to its turn based roots by giving the combat a back and forth which means you'll get caught out if you just hammer away. When the option to switch characters in combat becomes available, make use of it to build up their ATB gauge so they can be useful.
  • Went back to Remake last week and I'm closing in on the Platinum now. Just need to do the last optional fight and then go through the final 2 chapters again on Hard.

TBH some of the stuff it requires is a bit of a bore, but it's a good reason just to spend more time with it. I hadn't had enough when it ended.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Resist the temptation to just spam out attacks, the game sort of pays homage to its turn based roots by giving the combat a back and forth which means you'll get caught out if you just hammer away. When the option to switch characters in combat becomes available, make use of it to build up their ATB gauge so they can be useful.

That sounds like good advice as I’d very much play like a hack and slash.
  • Yeah, after 3 hours I’m not sure it’s me. It’s just too...boring and camp. Some of it looks nice, some looks awful, the action isn’t too bad, but the music is so awful, the quests and characters are all so camp it’s beyond belief. It feels like a much better quality Shenmue just not as good. I’ll keep going for now but just don’t think it’s me....
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Those are Cie'th stones. They are l'Cie that failed to complete their Focus given by the fal'Cie. They turn into crystalline monsters for a while and when they run out of energy they turn into stones.

It’s just why do the falcie give missions like save the planet and Also kill this one monster. It just feels arbitrary and bizarre.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I was expecting there to be no answer to this, but I have found one. Apparently the gods created the fal'Cie for a specific purpose, almost like a Focus of their own, and the fal'Cie can't directly do stuff other than this goal, so l'Cie are like a loophole that allow them to do other activities. So some of the basic bitch Focus stuff is just because the fal'Cie literally can't kill that rando little monster because it's not what their god created them to do.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Every question has an answer if you spend hundreds of hours poring over the datalog and get a degree in Final Fantasy XIII studies I guess.
  • You deserve your day getting up on a stage to shake the hand of vice chancellor square and get a certificate.
  • Doing the marks on Pulse gets you lots of lore and explanations etc.
  • Some of the best bits in FFVIIR second time around on Hard were some of the worst bits first time, and vice versa to an extent.

Just done Chapter 17. It felt like padding first time, but this time I thought it was a real highlight. It's basically a long series of battles that tests you on every aspect of the combat you've learned up to that point and gets you to use all the characters to their strengths.

On the other hand, Chapter 9, one of the most entertaining bits first time, becomes a drag (pun intended) on repeat playthroughs.
  • Yeah, this is going on eBay, really not me, can’t seem to enjoy a second of it. Such is life.
  • Finally completed. I liked it.
    Spoiler:

I look forward to the next one.
  • Finally finished the Remake today and actively said "what the fuck" about half a dozen times in the last 30-60 mins.

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Ending spoilers:
    Spoiler:
  • Basically. I think it's a poor decision for them, mainly because
    Spoiler:
  • Tempy wrote:
    Basically. I think it's a poor decision for them, mainly because
    Spoiler:

Yeah I don't really get why they did it either...
    Spoiler:
  • Maybe they'll make something of it, but I don't particularly get what they've decided to do.
  • I think they may have painted themselves into a corner with it
  • It comes from a desire to not want to just retread the original, which I get, but I don't see currently how it gives them much interesting to work with. You have these strong characters that they really build up well in this game, and then they escalate things so rapidly that I think they lose that facet.
    Spoiler:
  • Tempy wrote:
    It comes from a desire to not want to just retread the original, which I get, but I don't see currently how it gives them much interesting to work with. You have these strong characters that they really build up well in this game, and then they escalate things so rapidly that I think they lose that facet.
    Spoiler:

I'd forgotten that about the original,
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!