Gears thread
  • Good good. It has a chance to sneak into the top half of my GotY list at this stage.
  • Is Tactics quite tricky then? I'm not really a fan of turn-based stuff so it's putting me off.
  • There are plenty of difficulty settings, but the problem I occasionally have with some of these games is trying to find the Goldilocks zone between too hard and a walk in the park because either side annoys me. I'm an average tactics player at best and the second difficulty setting seems to be suiting me perfectly in this - not so easy to be a waste of time but I wouldn't say it got hard until the first boss.
  • It's getting tougher now though, up to 3-4 I think.  A certain amount of side missions need to be played in order to progress, and if you put your A team in for the first one you can be left floundering by the third.  I won't be making that mistake again. 

Very good game overall, maybe a touch samey - there's definitely room for the devs to flex with a sequel - but it still has that vice-like grip that the genre does so well.  Executions giving the entire team an extra ability point is brilliant.  I even like the way it's a touch heavy on the overwatch.   It definitely feels like a perfect fit as a series spin off.
  • Aye it's great. I'm playing on normal and have mostly breezed my way through Act 1, found the boss fight an entertaining yo-yo battle. I think I'm about 4 missions into Act 2 and the difficulty has turned up a notch. I've had to restart from checkpoint a couple of times but now having to quit the mission and go for a full restart as I need to rethink my strategy. There's not much peril involved in losing teammates like there is in XCom, I've retained my initial squad and working on buffing their abilities and gear.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I'm on 3-5 now, only 4 chapters left, bit gutted really as really enjoying this. Some missions can really become a real battle and you have to stay one or two turns ahead and really make use of all Jacks abilities to keep everyone alive and the enemy on the back foot, really can get quite intense too. Definitely in my top 5 for the year. Will be interesting to see if there's a NG+ and what it looks like as I'd go through again on a harder difficulty. Hope they do some DLC too. Would've been interesting if they could have made some slightly larger scale missions and a co-op addition where you both managed 3 or so soldiers against the Locust.
    Artist also known as Verecocha...
  • I'm playing without Jack, there were two options at the beginning and I went for what looked like the original mode without the droid.  Would be interesting to see if what Jack adds would suit me as I've been playing with a touch of FOMO since (but perhaps the OG mode is a better fit for me, I won't know until I've played both...)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm playing without Jack, there were two options at the beginning and I went for what looked like the original mode without the droid.  Would be interesting to see if what Jack adds would suit me as I've been playing with a touch of FOMO since (but perhaps the OG mode is a better fit for me anyway).

I didn't know which one to go with and had a quick look online which seemed to say it was a little more fun with Jack so went with him. To be fair I don't think you're missing much aside from maybe it being a little easier as Jack does add some good options, they might have tailored it to that fact but I'm not sure. Cloaking Jack to rescue prisoners whilst you just wage war is fun though.
  • Potentially trickier but with less to learn was pretty much what I assumed I'd be getting, so it sounds like my snap decision might've paid off.
  • Aye that was my reasoning for going Jackless first too.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • You Jackless wonders...

I've not had any one die yet unless they were mission critical, what actually happens if they do at the end of the mission?
  • Any of the main players dying prompts a fail state, the recruits can die properly afaik.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Any of the main players dying prompts a fail state, the recruits can die properly afaik.

I was hoping there'd be something interesting if they died, like a stats page for them or something. I almost wanna let one die to see...but I've become too attached...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Ah Gears... should really bring back Gears 'n Beers Fridays!
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Ah Gears... should really bring back Gears 'n Beers Fridays!
    Seconded.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Finally dug into G5. The campaign has more atrocious padding than ever, what even was that skiff bollocks, apart from a showcase of powder rendering.
  • True. I don't have the energy for pvp.
  • Shame. Its a thing of beauty.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Ah Gears MP, those were the days.
  • Tactics is good. Probably my favourite 'next-gen' title so far.
    Back on this. Still a cracker.
  • Nostalgia's a wonderful thing but I don't think it's all rose tinted glasses. Gears n Beers was a wonderful time. How about we get the band together one more time?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I am definitely up for this hodge! Would love to get a room full of badgers together. Gears holds so many fond memories playing with you guys.
  • We could start a league…
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'd be up for this.
  • I do get an urge to play this every now and then, gears 1 that is. But anything less than a full lobby of tipsy badger's doesn't do it justice.

This popped into my Youtube feed today.
  • Managed to find some public games today. Point capture on Gridlock where people where more interested in sniper shootouts and not playing the objective. Eventually got kicked for beating someone down with a pistol.
    Had a few rounds with another group who were playing Execution but only on Canals. Nice to play but they were way beyond a random joining after so many years.
    So tonight I started the campaign in co-op with my son. Nice change from our usual Fortnite and hopefully we'll work our way through the series.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I'm trying to recall how long ago it was when we used play this a lot, must be well over 10 years I suppose. Good times, good memories.
  • I think that video said it released in 2006? So prob about 15 year ago?
  • Yeah 2006. Yeah I got married. I still remember.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!