Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Does anyone know of a good general purpose text to speech solution for listening to articles in webpages and PDFs? I tried Google's Talkback but that doesn't really work the way I need it to.

I could really do with a way to absorb more research, while walking hither and thither and doing cooking and such. Something that I could quickly activate in a browser or other app with tolerable voice quality would be great.

Dude did you find anything? I'd like something that would read pdfs aloud for me.

Not yet, found a few apps that look promising but haven't had time to test them yet. I will be persisting on this though, I'm really needing to cram in some research atm.

Regarding Samsung phones, I've been very impressed so far with my S7. Build quality, performance, screen, battery, all great. Really liking the camera, seems to capture textures really well, and OIS (optical image stabilisation) is a big plus IMO. Makes taking sharp stills a piece of piss, and is somewhat essential for good videos. I think the downside of those dual lense cameras is the inability to use proper stabilisation, though I haven't looked at the P10 to see if anything has changed there.

I've not had any serious problems with bloatware, don't think it's an issue anymore. Particularly with the latest Android update which has introduced an overhauled battery saver mode which is fukn amazing. You can toggle 1080p (actually I can lower it all the way down to 720p from native 1440p, looks a bit quaint though ;) ), CPU limiter and a pretty aggressive background app control. The first use from a full charge using the mode yielded this battery life -
    w8hRXXa.png

A massive improvement over the longevity prior to the update (it was already pretty good), a good 50% better at least I reckon. It's prompted me to look for some more ways to use my phone during the day, such as text dictation.
  • I'm using a Note 4 and still love it. I find the pen really useful. Samsung mulling over rereleasing the note 7.
  • One of the options turns your home screen black and white, with black not using the screen, so saves a ton on battery.
  • My old phone had an app drawer containing all apps and the home screen provided selected shortcuts to these apps. 
    My new phone doesn't have an app drawer and all apps have to be arranged on the home screens. 
    The last few apps I've downloaded have put 2 icons on my home screen and if I delete one,the app uninstalls.
    What is this nonsense and how do I fix it?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Huawei Y6 II.
    "That's your problem there" is not a helpful response! :)
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The huuwwwahhahhahaheewwee phones are supposed to be decent hardware, but apparently the custom UI they stick on is crap. It basically mimicks an iPhone so you don't have as much flexibility as most Android's, which kind of misses the point imo.

Confirmed.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You might be able to install a different UI, not sure of the complexities or issues with doing that though.
  • This is the only issue I've found so far.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Battery life on my s6 isn't great. What update is that one above that made things better?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Does this help?
    Adding apps to folders.
    Another feature which makes EMUI great is the ability to add apps easily to folders. In stock Android, you must do this manually with individual apps – dragging and dropping them from the app menu. In Emotion UI, this is done using a tick box method which is altogether faster and more convenient.
  • No,no sign of a tickbox method. Just regular move apps together! I'm gonna tidy stuff up and put duplicates in a folder together.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You could always install the Google Now Launcher.
  • Top hit on Google:
    Google will discontinue the Google Now Launcher in the coming weeks!
    I shall investigate further but its only a minor annoyance.
  • Not really a mobile junkie but the Galaxy 8 really looks lovely. It's nearly all screen.
  • Not really a mobile junkie but the Galaxy 8 really looks lovely. It's nearly all screen.

Aye, that's the main reason I'm pre ordering one today (depending on what Vodafone customer services offer me to resolve a complaint).

Would've preferred the hoowawawa p10 plus, but they're only stocking the standard p10.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Battery life on my s6 isn't great. What update is that one above that made things better?

I noticed big improvements on Android version 7.0, don't know exactly what version I was using before though. I think I must have had auto updates turned off, as it started to update once I did a manual check in the settings. I think it was already out for a few weeks.

I still find that shutting down the phone and starting it again every so often improves idle usage, so give that a try if you notice high drain.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Huawei Y6 II. "That's your problem there" is not a helpful response! :)

A quick look seems to indicate that Huawei don't have an app draw, so the icons aren't shortcuts, they are the actual apps. Why there would be 2, I have no idea.
  • Thanks Dante. I'll just hide the duplicates.
  • Can't just install a launcher like Nova launcher?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah,suggested earlier but involves reading up and stuff...
  • As long as the phone has google app store and you can find the settings to set home screen you'll be fine.

Its basically like vanilla, with more options.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Interestingly my Xiaomi has a cracking feature where you can install multiple copies of an app so you can have say multiple twitter accounts or multiple Spotify accounts or multiple games and their saves.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

I noticed big improvements on Android version 7.0, don't know exactly what version I was using before though. I think I must have had auto updates turned off, as it started to update once I did a manual check in the settings. I think it was already out for a few weeks.

I still find that shutting down the phone and starting it again every so often improves idle usage, so give that a try if you notice high drain.

Hmmm I'm on Android 6 but there's no obvious way to upgrade :-(
  • Who is your network?
  • Facewon wrote:
    As long as the phone has google app store and you can find the settings to set home screen you'll be fine. Its basically like vanilla, with more options.

I'm fine with both of those but what launcher? Do you recommend Nova?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Who is your network?

EE
  • They're still testing it. They take absolutely ages to push through updates.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good info - thanks! Guess I'll get it when I get it!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!