Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
  • AJ wrote:
    What are those? If you mean split screen, that's Android, not MIUI.

I used this to watch the Champions League whilst chatting shit on here last night.

There seems to have been a more recent update where if I hit home, it keeps a small window with the video active whilst I open a new app. I very much like this.
  • AJ wrote:

It means multiple instances of the same app with different accounts logged in.
    Facebook, twitter, whatsapp. Google may or may not have adopted this feature from miui already.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • The weird thing is old folks seem to adapt to miui a helluva lot faster than other android flavours due to the similarities with iOS. Especially if they already own an iPad, the jump to miui seems 'smaller' .
  • hunk wrote:
    It means multiple instances of the same app with different accounts logged in. Facebook, twitter, whatsapp. Google may or may not have adopted this feature from miui already.

Cool. Can't say I'd use it myself, but it sounds useful for those that need it.

hunk wrote:
    The weird thing is old folks seem to adapt to miui a helluva lot faster due to the similarities with iOS. Especially if they already own an iPad, the jump to miui seems 'smaller'.

They're welcome to, I still think it's fugly shit that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, short of the unlikely event that Xiaomi bring out a 4" phone.
  • WorKid wrote:
    The A2 does Android One if you want a stock experience.

But really not sure what the issue is with MIUI? It's a bunch of icons on a background of your choosing.
  • Functionally, I think miui is far superior to iOS.
    Graphically, I feel they tread a little too close to Apple for comfort. Unnecessarily, I'm certain they have the ability to do a kick ass gui that doesn't resemble iOS.
  • WorKid wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    The A2 does Android One if you want a stock experience.
    But really not sure what the issue is with MIUI? It's a bunch of icons on a background of your choosing.

Does it not have an app drawer?
  • It does yes.

It was the fugly comment that threw me. Heck there's even themes.
  • It looks like a child has tried to draw an iPhone and I can't be arsed fucking about with themes. I'm sure there were other issues I had with it that were worse than how shit I think it looks, but I honestly can't remember what they are now.
  • For the record, I think iOS it's ugly to start with, so a poor copy of that...
  • That's the bit I'm genuinely confused by. Doesn't everything look the same? A bunch of icons sat on a background? Maybe some icons are a bit squarer or rounder or something?

But as you choose the background and what apps you install don't all phones basically look the same, even if they function differently?
  • I don't like square icons. It was probably the notification slide down that bothered me the most but, if I'm honest, it's gone through a couple of revisions since I last looked at it properly, so there's a chance it's not so bad now.
  • Aren't you on iPhone atm AJ?
    It's not that bad is it?
  • I am on an iPhone and I hate it.
  • It's not that I hate iOS or anything, I just don't like apple's limitations and the stuff ios users have to put up with

No file explorer, no emulators, everything has to be in the apple ecosystem. Would drive me up the wall. Not to mention features like cpu auto throttle as time advances.
  • I don't do much with my phone beyond calls, messages and the web. It's the shite widgets and the UX I have issues with. They don't want me to do anything the way I want to. Oh, apps not being able to do anything nice with the notifications is a problem, too; had a really nice reminder thing that lived there on my Nexus, but iOS doesn't allow anything close.
  • Gremill wrote:
    I was reading about them - never heard of it but it gets good reviews.

And tariff-wise it's cheap compared to its rivals. I've got unlimited everything on it for 36pm. You'd be looking at about double that (?) for the iPhone.

Who’s your contract with? EE are asking £43pm for that with 10GB.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gavs on that free greggs hot drink wuntu life. YES BIG MAN, correct choice.

o/
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Got myself a Huawei P20 Pro - my first ever Android phone. Looking forward to seeing if everyone banging on about how much better an OS it is than iOS is true.

What do I need to set up admin wise? What’s the iTunes/App Store equivalent etc?
  • Google play for all the apps. Completely ignore the huawei app centre, it's bobbins.

For music I have Spotify so that does me.
  • Do you want to purchase music like its 2007, or stream it?
  • Do you want to purchase music like its 2007, or stream it?

I have Spotify, so will be using that. My list of apps that need downloading to the new phone is surprisingly long.

I’m probably overthinking this.
  • Probably.

If you meant transferring existing (totally legally acquired) music, just plug it into your PC and copy the files as you would to any external storage device.
  • Surely there's a tedious piece of crap bit of software that takes ages to do that simple task and is generally a load of irritating bullshit? Surely you can't just connect your own phone to your own computer as a mass storage device? Anarchy.
  • Is that a dig at iTunes? If so, completely warranted - one of the main reasons I’m leaving Apple is stuff like that.
  • You saw right through me. Damn it. :)
  • Huawei has an app called Phone Clone which took all the important stuff from my old phone and popped it over via Bluetooth in minutes. No idea if it's gonna work from ios over to android though. Sonys equivalent app on my older phone did, though.
  • I’ll take a look cheers. Can’t believe the deal I got on it from EE too. They were quoting me online for £48pm for 10GB - I called them up and they price matched me to another deal for £33pm with 20GB!

• Awesome stuff. Just get rid of all the bloat you don't need and carry on as normal as you can. It's pretty much all the same.

Enjoy the camera. It's a stunner.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!