Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
  • Anyone on that Play Pass? Google version of Game Pass for phones.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Well I went for the S20 vanilla and I'm really liking it but fucking hell this "under the screen" fingerprint scanner is doing my nut in. So flaky and inconsistent. Should be instantaneous.

I had the same issue and what many suggested, was registering the same thumb/finger more than once i.e. giving the phone more data to work with. Things improved hugely once I'd done that.

Also worth noting, that the S20 comes with a Samsung screen protector by default. I didn't realise at first and thought I'd done by screen in when I saw a weird bubble! Various reviews i read, said the protector was of poor quality and worth removing. Again, this massively improved the fingerprint reader once I'd done it.

However, if you keep it or upgrade to a better one, switch on the setting for making the touch screen more responsive, which they recommend when using a screen protector. Mine was off by default.
  • Getting a phone upgrade in a months time and I really don't want to spend money. I can get a p40 Huawei for nothing and I've been on a p20 for the last year and a half with no issues. Are there any major issues with using a Huawei especially with the US stance
    SFV - reddave360
  • You'll lose all Google apps unless you sideload them on which will lose your warranty.

It's what stopped me from getting the P40 cos I adored my P20 tbh

And thanks, Kestla. I'll have a fiddle.
  • Ah that sucks balls. Are there any other notable bargains in the android world at the moment? I don't need top spec, a bit faster than my current p20 would be fine
    SFV - reddave360
  • The Oneplus Nord sounds right up your street, I'd say. Or the Pixel 4a but I dunno if that's available just yet.
  • Pixels are solid. Missus has one. My oppo r15 is still a champ. It's not super cheap, but from what I can see it punches above its weight for its price.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think I'm going to hold out on an upgrade until the pixel 5 comes out.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Anyone on that Play Pass? Google version of Game Pass for phones.

Hmm, didn't even know this was a thing. Might try it once I have a commute again, but don't I'd get value atm & already have a backlog, and there's no real standout games AFAICT?
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Getting a phone upgrade in a months time and I really don't want to spend money. I can get a p40 Huawei for nothing and I've been on a p20 for the last year and a half with no issues. Are there any major issues with using a Huawei especially with the US stance

I mean, if you can get it for nothing, surely its worth trying to install Google services yourself?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Anyone on that Play Pass? Google version of Game Pass for phones.
    Hmm, didn't even know this was a thing. Might try it once I have a commute again, but don't I'd get value atm & already have a backlog, and there's no real standout games AFAICT?
    Nothing really jumping out. Just tempted to try it out and then probably forget to cancel! I have my account on a few devices so the kids may get some use out of it.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • What the hell's going on with nVidia and ARM. What'll happen to mobile if nVidia aquires them? It'll give the Americans even more of a stranglehold over mobile. The Chinese will probably move to adopt something like Risc-V and develop their own OS' and hw. Not sure if that's a good thing tho.

Even if Trump gets voted out, the Chinese will strive for tech independence. Can't see that changin'.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • What I don't get is, the Govt wants Britain to be a tech utopia. Buy Arm then.
  • Heh, the Tories would never dare and stand up to the US. Their main aim now is to carve up and privatise all of the UK's main assets.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can the government buy a technology like that? Could a government potentially buy Intel or something like that?
  • Kow wrote:
    Can the government buy a technology like that? Could a government potentially buy Intel or something like that?

Why not?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I dunno. Might be against the law in some way.
  • They'd possibly frown upon it because 'State Capitalism'.
    Although whatever the Americans are doing to the Chinese isn't State intervention or State Capitalism at all lol. Shows how the US is desperately clinging to the nr.1 spot they've been projected to loose.
  • Just got a Samsung A51, seems alright except for a few notable exceptions compared to old phone. I don't seem to be able to display the battery level as a percentage rather than an icon, can't see anywhere to show current data rate (my old Huawei showed what speed data was being transferred at all times) and there doesn't appear to be an option for a 4th button which will bring down the menu instead of having to swipe from the top of the screen. Any thoughts?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Samsung like to fuck around with the OS interface.

I've just bought a pixel 4a for my wife, I'm looking forward to having a play with it and seeing how good the camera is.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    there doesn't appear to be an option for a 4th button which will bring down the menu instead of having to swipe from the top of the screen.

What?
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Just got a Samsung A51, seems alright except for a few notable exceptions compared to old phone. I don't seem to be able to display the battery level as a percentage rather than an icon, can't see anywhere to show current data rate (my old Huawei showed what speed data was being transferred at all times) and there doesn't appear to be an option for a 4th button which will bring down the menu instead of having to swipe from the top of the screen. Any thoughts?

If you are on the home screen, you shouldn't need to swipe down from the top, but anywhere on the screen.  Also, have a look on the Galaxy App Store for "One handed operation+".  It's a Samsung app, not 3rd party.  I have this on my S10e and it allows me to swipe diagonally down from the side to drag the top half of the screen down to the lower half.  It works really well.

Battery percentage is available under settings > Notifications > Status Bar.
  • Thanks Kris, I can do that on the home screen yeah but it's handy to have in apps. I'll check out that app, just added %.

Dante, I have 3 buttons at the bottom of my screen: back, home and app switching (for want of a better description). On the Huaweis you can add a 4th which will bring down the quick menu from the top.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    got a realme 6 thingy - indian phone - very impressed - no wireless charging in this model, miss it bad yeno
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Realme is actually a subbrand from chinese BBK and Oppo. You might know them from that other subsidiary, 1+. Realme was designed to be a competitor to Xiaomi's Redmi brand of phones. Note the similarity in pronounciation and visual script between realme and redmi. Both are fierce rivals in China and India.

Great quality brand though. Realme and Redmi are currently the top budget android champs imo.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Holding the power button on my Pixel no longer gives me a screenshot option (following an Android update).  Where the fuck's it gone?
  • It’s DLC now. Pay your subs.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • @Hodge on my S10e there's also an option to bring down notifications by swiping down on the fingerprint sensor. Not sure if the A51 has it though?

"Finger Sensor Gestures" somewhere in advanced features.
  • @Hodge on my S10e there's also an option to bring down notifications by swiping down on the fingerprint sensor. Not sure if the A51 has it though?

"Finger Sensor Gestures" somewhere in advanced features.

Just tested it on my Son's A20e, so certain the A51 will have it. Works great!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!