Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Monster seems to me to be more about selling me things than getting me a job. I realise this doesn't apply to everyone, but that's been my experience.
  • Monster seems to me to be more about selling me things than getting me a job. I realise this doesn't apply to everyone, but that's been my experience.

Selling you what?
  • @google
    Totally agree.
    I had an old mate who setup an agency, being small it was hit heavily by the recession and struggled, virgin media contacted him asking for recruitment consultants. He ditched the company, bigged himself up as the best candidate out there (without them knowing he was on about himself) and nailed the job. He is genuinely the best sales men I have ever met but he found god and found full in sales greedy.

@Dante
    I dont rate Monster. I found Jobsite to be best for job hunters. Dont get me started on Reed.
  • @google any old shit it seems. A course in this or that. £100 off boilers. Life insurance. Business cards.

@live I've not actively looked for a while. I might give Jobsite a go then.
  • Seems that Reed have finally got rid of their media jobs section. Actually good on them really. It was pointless and irritating spam of mainly commission only jobs.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Yup.
    The emails I got were 90% art sales and kitchen designer jobs, which are always pure rubbish.
  • I have completely given up on searching for video editing jobs (and this is genuinely not a backlash on a disappointing refusal of job the other day). I really do live in a shit part of the country for such jobs. Mainly in London and most require you to be a god with 3 years of high profile shit attached to your cv before you can even be considered for a 25k job.
  • @three1ne
    Send me your CV and links to anything like show reels etc. I only really know people in London or low level people tup nord! However I do know quite a few people in TV.
    I will send it round some People who work as editors etc who could at the very least give you a second opinion on your CV etc.
  • Cheers mate, i'll send it over tomorrow.

Ive actually got everything pretty much up and running for going self employed doing music vids and providing I can open the doors there may be a little bit of money to be made. I am in slight turmoil about it though as I am better suited to work for myself, got all the gear and software, although I dont want to be pushing this, trying to get it off the ground for 6 months to find myself making ends meet. 

I also dont want to be moving 60 miles away editing shit internet adverts making cups of tea.
  • I would say though that the guys I know have worked in jobs beneif them for years.

Text book example
    My mate Nath (Cloaka if you follow the dance music thread).
    He worked his ass off at uni, he was one off the very few to get a runners job the same summer as graduation. He then worked 18 months running, followed by being a technical assistant for a year, 9 months doing quality control before finally becoming an editor.

The biggest barrier was getting past daddy's girl/boys, media is rampant with that bollox.

Now he is so jaded by TV he is solely focussed on music production. Editing is now that shit bit in the middle of the day that pays but holds you back.
  • three1ne wrote:
    Cheers mate, i'll send it over tomorrow. Ive actually got everything pretty much up and running for going self employed doing music vids and providing I can open the doors there may be a little bit of money to be made. I am in slight turmoil about it though as I am better suited to work for myself, got all the gear and software, although I dont want to be pushing this, trying to get it off the ground for 6 months to find myself making ends meet.  I also dont want to be moving 60 miles away editing shit internet adverts making cups of tea.

Yeah man, totally understand.

Send it over anyway. There are a few of us, all mates from uni or mates of mates etc etc, but the golden rules are..
    1) Criticise openly without fear of offence.
    2) Accept criticism as open forum.

We have all sorts of jobs, producer, editor, digital media artist, researcher, comedian, sales, furniture designer etc etc. It just gives a nice forum for ideas and criticism.
  • Part of my concern is I am 30 now. I stupidly believed a few wonderful people who told me "you cant do something like that" a long time ago and mulled about in my 20s instead. Mainly my fault.

Apart from a basic college course a few years ago (too old for it really, otherwise a good course) I have taught myself everything and I have a reasonable skillset (terrible word). Which is why im reluctant to come in/apply for an 'office junior' level job.

I sent you a link and it would be genuinely extremely helpful to hear some pointers although I am just venting here a little, I know what I want to do and I have an idea of where I am heading. I am writing a lot and trying to get a short film off the ground with a bit of funding. I just get caught up in the uncertainty of it at times. If this fails, or if I cant make enough money freelancing or if I cant get that break in a media job then what...
  • No probs mate. Don't worry about age, media is ridiculous. If you throw out a good CV and showreel age will only aid you, they will assume experience.

I will have a look tomoz, will be brutal, as will my mates if they get back, we have a thing about not pussy footing around because faux compliments only hinder progress, but at the same time being constructive.
  • Sounds good.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Can anyone suggest a sensible day rate for an IT contractor working for a large government department?
  • If they're anything like the IT dept at my work, £3.50.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Ahh, that's the point, their IT dept is hit so they want some who can actually do the job.
  • General government policy seems to be to pay through the arse for ridiculous contracts that in no way meet business needs, so you should be fine charging what you like and doing as little of the work as you like.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    This isn't especially helping. I knew I should have paid closer attention to those contracts I signed when I was on the other side of the fence.
  • Yeah, that would probably have been a better move.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It's a very clear-cut case of sexual harrassment, no doubt about it.  It's just a question of what evidence, if any, she could present to make her case stand. The ipod thing probably counts in her favour though, regardless of the fact that she accepted it.
    Honestly Igor you never fail to surprise me!

How is somebody getting a gift from their employers when they are leaving their job proof of sexual harassment? I got an expensive bottle of Whisky and a Leatherman, do you think I should get in touch with a tribunal and see what money I can get...
  • He first presented her with a brand new ipod, before suggesting that she ought to consider posing for a topless photo for him. He offered her 150 euros to do this, to which she obviously refused. 

I misread that as the iPod being offered in an attempt to coerce sexual favours, rather than a sincerely offered parting gift.  I skimmed past the 150 euros bit first time around.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I misread that as the iPod being offered in an attempt to coerce sexual favours, rather than a sincerely offered parting gift.  I skimmed past the 150 euros bit first time around.
    Ah right, I take my comment back then!

You can guess what I'd have done if it was my missus...
  • Run them over?

Wait that's igor ;)
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Can anyone suggest a sensible day rate for an IT contractor working for a large government department?
    £250-£400 depending on what you are doing. Or go for £50p/h , standard rate for most IT guys I know.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Seems I've got myself a job at Richer Sounds just outside of London. It all happened rather quickly. Walked past the store on the way to Kew Gardens, dropped my cv in the next day, got invited for a trial the next day, interview the day after and pretty much have the job and should be starting next week.
    Seems to be a pretty good place to work, good perks and chance for good commission (especially in the store I'll be in as it's an affluent area) so could work out alright. Will be a more long term thing though so that'll mean I'll be here for a while. I was initially considering getting a job I could leave easier so I could travel but I should get more money this way and maybe make small trips into Europe while I can and save up enough for a big journey before going home sometime in the future. Unless I fall in love with the place or something.
    Would have liked to go to Manchester but relocating that far would have been hard with the amount of money I have left anyway. Maybe I can do a store transfer at some point.

At any rate, I think this kind of work will fit into dev stuff quite well too. Anyway, future ahoy!
  • And yes, that sounds like some serious sexual harassment.
  • Well done Shabba, get me a separates system on the cheap, yeah? I bought your damn iPhone game.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Seems I've got myself a job at Richer Sounds just outside of London. It all happened rather quickly. Walked past the store on the way to Kew Gardens, dropped my cv in the next day, got invited for a trial the next day, interview the day after and pretty much have the job and should be starting next week. Seems to be a pretty good place to work, good perks and chance for good commission (especially in the store I'll be in as it's an affluent area) so could work out alright. Will be a more long term thing though so that'll mean I'll be here for a while. I was initially considering getting a job I could leave easier so I could travel but I should get more money this way and maybe make small trips into Europe while I can and save up enough for a big journey before going home sometime in the future. Unless I fall in love with the place or something. Would have liked to go to Manchester but relocating that far would have been hard with the amount of money I have left anyway. Maybe I can do a store transfer at some point. At any rate, I think this kind of work will fit into dev stuff quite well too. Anyway, future ahoy!
    RADIOHEAD TICKET
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Well done Shabba, get me a separates system on the cheap, yeah? I bought your damn iPhone game.
    It's free now too, sucka.

I don't think about work very much, but there are rumblings that I'll be in good shape to go for an associate lecturer possie in the near future if I want it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!