Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Dinostar77 wrote:

Well up for nicking one of these when I get round to my annual CV update, cheers.
  • We've had CVs sent as fully constructed and packaged card games, GDDs and also a branded toilet seat with letter attached. Always appreciate something different, whether they get a job or not.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Photo CVs can make you look like a right weirdo. When we were recruiting for educational contractors at my old job the photo ones often got gathered round and laughed at.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    In my profile bit at the bottom, I talk about hobbies and there relevance to the workplace. "Promoting punk rock shows, shows ability to manage different stakeholders and diary management", then I always had the "follow my football team to around a dozen away matches a season, I feel this shows both loyalty and an ability to cope with disappointment"

Never underestimate a joke, just raising a small smile can be enough to get you into the will look at again pile, plus it gives the interviewer (if you get that far) an easy question to use at one point in the interview
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This happened on the A12 this afternoon. 2 hour detour to get home and a police friend tells me southbound will be shut tomorrow morning and perhaps even for the next few days while they check/repair the bridge and the road.

Probably for getting Nioh early.
  • So, got signed off work for 3 weeks. Emailed my gm and dgm to inform them.

No reply for 2 days, then a txt from dgm saying hope I'm OK etc etc, fair enough.

On the third day, get an email from gm, pressuring me to return to work early. What an absolute prick.
  • Fairly certain that's illegal.
  • Yeah, that's my thinking as well, I'm the guy that handles most d&g cases in the place so I'm not too bad on ACAS policies and procedures. I wouldn't do it with a sup or team member, dunno why they think it's OK with me.

Fuckem. Just giving me more ammo for the appeal I was likely gonna have to submit anyway; as I think they're gonna finalise my year end appraisal (and therefore decide if I get a bonus or not) while I'm not there to argue my case.

These clowns have zero clue how to manage people.
  • Definitely sounds like you're best off out of there.

Use the next three weeks to fire off some more applications.
  • Aye, been rattling out applications left right and centre.

This is just the latest in a long, long line of stupid moves by senior management in the company. Stopped being surprised by it now.
  • So, to recap:

On the 7th, signed off for 3 weeks. No specific date given, so by my count that's 21 days; therefore signed off till the 28th.

Today, received a rota, showing me back at work from the 24th.

Can they do that?
  • My doctors note had an end date, so I'm not sure, but the 24th isn't 3 weeks.

Speak to your doctor if in doubt
  • Dont know uk law but if its a sick note of any official source than i would imagine they cant. Maybe they are chancing their arm. Risky though, i never mess with sick note dates. The worse i can do is withhold pay and even then it depends on the employee.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah sometimes they include an end date sometimes just a duration, I've had them both ways in the past

At the end of the day, if you want to and are fit enough to return on the 24th just go back in, however if you are unsure (which is currently likley) then email saying that the 24th is in a period where you are signed off sick, and you do not know this far in advance whether your condition will have improved enough to return on that date. You aren't prepared to make a commitment that you might break, and if any part of your sicknote is stress or mental health related also state that you feel that being asked to return early or make a commitment that far in advance makes you feel obligated and places you under an extra level of stress that is not conducive to recuperation
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Had a quick look online, it says I can choose to return early, but they're obliged to discuss it with me first; if I return early and exacerbate things by doing so they may be liable for a potential personal injury claim.

Emailed citizens advice. I'll see what they think.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Plus you are in catering aren't you Dave? So if someone comes back early there's potential for (extra) liability if punters get sick
  • cockbeard wrote:

if any part of your sicknote is stress or mental health related

Yup, signed off due to stress. I'd say it was 70% work, 30% other things, at the time. Now, I'd say it's 75% work related. Which is having an impact at home as well.

Arseholes.

(My employers, not you guys. All your advice and input is gratefully received.)
  • Do you not have a follow up appointment with your doctor to check you're ok to go back?
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    So, to recap: On the 7th, signed off for 3 weeks. No specific date given, so by my count that's 21 days; therefore signed off till the 28th. Today, received a rota, showing me back at work from the 24th. Can they do that?

In short, no.  If a doctor writes 3 weeks, then they absolutely mean 3 weeks (21 days).  You are signed off until the 28th.  You can return to work before then if you feel like it, but you are under no compulsion to do so, and your employer should not be pressurising you to.  If your employer is able to offer some Occupational Therapy input, that's fair enough (indeed, actively encouraged), but otherwise you've told them how long you're going to be off for, and they have to accept that.

As others have said, record all and any pressure to return early, so that you can use it as evidence if necessary later on.  Definitely speak to Citizen's Advice, as they're usually great with this sort of thing.  If you have any kind of union, speak to them too.

If you need further time off work, and you're still under pressure, chat to your doctor about it.  There's a surprising amount of mileage that can be gained with some employers if the note specifically states you're off with "Work related stress" as it places the responsibility firmly in their court.  Equally I will sometimes write a fit-note that states that an individual can return to work as and when their employer addresses the cause of their stress.  (This can work if it's a particular individual or role that causes the problem - not if it's an all pervasive atmosphere of misery.)

Of course, none of that helps if your employer is just a shit.  In which case, sign off, look for alternatives, and gather evidence.  Good luck...
  • Do you not have a follow up appointment with your doctor to check you're ok to go back?

Nope, was a locum doctor, she basically couldn't get me out the door quick enough. Due another appointment to review the pain medication I'm currently on, I'll bring it up then.
  • Yeah, I'd definitely get an appointment in beforehand.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    So, to recap: On the 7th, signed off for 3 weeks. No specific date given, so by my count that's 21 days; therefore signed off till the 28th. Today, received a rota, showing me back at work from the 24th. Can they do that?

In short, no.  If a doctor writes 3 weeks, then they absolutely mean 3 weeks (21 days).  You are signed off until the 28th.  You can return to work before then if you feel like it, but you are under no compulsion to do so, and your employer should not be pressurising you to.  If your employer is able to offer some Occupational Therapy input, that's fair enough (indeed, actively encouraged), but otherwise you've told them how long you're going to be off for, and they have to accept that.

As others have said, record all and any pressure to return early, so that you can use it as evidence if necessary later on.  Definitely speak to Citizen's Advice, as they're usually great with this sort of thing.  If you have any kind of union, speak to them too.

If you need further time off work, and you're still under pressure, chat to your doctor about it.  There's a surprising amount of mileage that can be gained with some employers if the note specifically states you're off with "Work related stress" as it places the responsibility firmly in their court.  Equally I will sometimes write a fit-note that states that an individual can return to work as and when their employer addresses the cause of their stress.  (This can work if it's a particular individual or role that causes the problem - not if it's an all pervasive atmosphere of misery.)

Of course, none of that helps if your employer is just a shit.  In which case, sign off, look for alternatives, and gather evidence.  Good luck...

Thanks for that. Unfortunately its the 'all pervading atmosphere' I'm working under, and I doubt they'll make any attempt to rectify things. I've pointed a lot of them out to my bosses, and offered practical solutions; but they don't react kindly to a young upstart pointing out what they're doing wrong.

Updates to follow..........
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Plus you are in catering aren't you Dave? So if someone comes back early there's potential for (extra) liability if punters get sick

There's that alright but to be honest that's mostly only in cases where you have diarrhea and vomiting, food handlers need to be cleared 48 hours before returning. In general, it's more for the safety of other staff - simple things like flus can run through restaurants very quickly and nothing worse than a decimated work force (which inevitable leads to more sickness as people get run down covering). We used to be lenient about it but after a few bad winters we now insist on the doctor clearance for just about anything.  

In the case of a physical injury, absolutely I insist on the clearance. It's too risky an industry for someone to come back less than 100% from that kind of thing
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:

There's that alright but to be honest that's mostly only in cases where you have diarrhea and vomiting, food handlers need to be cleared 48 hours before returning. In general, it's more for the safety of other staff - simple things like flus can run through restaurants very quickly and nothing worse than a decimated work force (which inevitable leads to more sickness as people get run down covering). We used to be lenient about it but after a few bad winters we now insist on the doctor clearance for just about anything.  

In the case of a physical injury, absolutely I insist on the clearance. It's too risky an industry for someone to come back less than 100% from that kind of thing

Aye, we're the same (not a catering business, but we do serve food) that's why we have to do return to work interviews as soon as the employee comes back, to make sure they're safe to be back and we're not putting our customers (or business) at risk.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I get hardly any feedback from my boss, about once every 4-6 weeks I'll get a well done off him about something or another. Now I don't particularly need my hand holding or anything so it doesn't bother me on a personal level. We have a laugh in nights out and when he's in the office, which is rarely recently due to another project and given my own workload and picking up his I constantly feel like I'm behind

Anyway had my appraisal yesterday, went better than expected, we've agreed that i need to dedicate a day and a half a week to the infrastructure improvements they hired me for, whereas I've been firefighting since I got there. Also that is get a little more feedback from him about what the workload is, and to tell other departments to get lost with inane requests

Anyway I fully expected that pay discussions would be a separate discussion, I'm used to negotiating when it cones to money, seems it doesn't. Anyway I've been offered a rise above inflation but below the companies annual growth, not sure if to feel aggrieved or not. Felt like I've been stealing a living because I've not been able to start the infrastructure work, but I suppose the regular ten hour days and 15 days of holiday left over tell a different story
  • New rules policy at work - no personal internet use.

Yeah, I'm not far from quitting.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How did you post that?

Burn the witch!
  • I've not signed it yet.
  • New rules policy at work - no personal internet use.

Yeah, I'm not far from quitting.

So use your phone? Or if office computer Google "proxy bypass" and use that if they block stuff like Facebook etc.

• Can't have phones on the floor.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!