Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Not directly related to my own employment, but my GF's current dream job opportunity happens to have come up where I already work. Can't discourage her from applying for it as she's super-suited to it and has her heart set on a change, but I'm wary of a change in dynamic if we end up working in the same office as well as living together and spending most of our free time in each other's company. Anyone had any similar experience? She might well not get the job, in which case this will all be moot, but it's still gotten me thinking/worrying, perhaps overly so.
  • I used to work at a place with two couples working closely.
    Both the guys did the same job as me, one of the girls was a project manager and the other was head of the department.
    They seemed to get on ok.
    Depends on the couple I guess.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Be supportive to her face, but casually undermine her around the office so she doesn't get the job. Win/win.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Be supportive to her face, but casually undermine her around the office so she doesn't get the job. Win/win.

Oh no, Yoss. You're that guy.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Not directly related to my own employment, but my GF's current dream job opportunity happens to have come up where I already work. Can't discourage her from applying for it as she's super-suited to it and has her heart set on a change, but I'm wary of a change in dynamic if we end up working in the same office as well as living together and spending most of our free time in each other's company. Anyone had any similar experience? She might well not get the job, in which case this will all be moot, but it's still gotten me thinking/worrying, perhaps overly so.

Not exactly the same perhaps (because I work in a fairly solitaire job) but my partner and I met in our workplace and are still together after five years. (We have the same job)

One thing I quite like is being able to decompress knowing the other person can empathise with my problems on more than a general level (and vice Versa).

I guess the only real question is if there will be professional interaction (and specifically with a seniority dynamic) that might be a bit more tricky but otherwise if you work on different things mostly then I don't see why it should be a problem automatically.

• Good advice all, cheers. I'm just over-thinking it really.

Not exactly the same perhaps (because I work in a fairly solitaire job) but my partner and I met in our workplace and are still together after five years. (We have the same job) One thing I quite like is being able to decompress knowing the other person can empathise with my problems on more than a general level (and vice Versa). I guess the only real question is if there will be professional interaction (and specifically with a seniority dynamic) that might be a bit more tricky but otherwise if you work on different things mostly then I don't see why it should be a problem automatically.

Aye, we actually met working together in a previous job, though didn't get together til a few months afterwards. It's a small sector up here so if you happen to meet your partner in it then chances are you're going to end up working together at some point. I shouldn't worry!
  • So I put through a holiday request back in November for the end of march, start of April. I was the first person to request this off. Whilst I was off sick, holiday for this period was processed, and despite me having requested first, other people have been given this time off, and now there is no availability.

I asked about this when I first came back in January, and the manager said he would speak to the contact centre manager to sort it because it's not fair that I don't get this time off because the person processing holidays didn't follow the sheet properly. This has dragged on and on, and every time I've asked about it I've been told he's trying to sort it.

I've now been told that I'm not getting this holiday because the only way to do this is to take it off other people.

I'm incredibly pissed off about this, but there is nothing I can do.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Not directly related to my own employment, but my GF's current dream job opportunity happens to have come up where I already work. Can't discourage her from applying for it as she's super-suited to it and has her heart set on a change, but I'm wary of a change in dynamic if we end up working in the same office as well as living together and spending most of our free time in each other's company. Anyone had any similar experience? She might well not get the job, in which case this will all be moot, but it's still gotten me thinking/worrying, perhaps overly so.
    I worked, in fact I was kind of her boss, with my girlf/wife for 10 years, it was fine (we met way before working together).
    Of course you don't get to come home and say "Guess what happened to me today." but on the other hand we could support whinge because we both knew what it was like to be dicked about by the same persons.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    One of my Business Analysts and the IT Director here have been married for years. I thought it would be mental but they seem to manage it pretty well

Although if I take him out for a beer after work, she happens to sit just behind me so I do get evils if he gets home too late
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Good advice all, cheers.

NP.
  • So I put through a holiday request back in November for the end of march, start of April. I was the first person to request this off. Whilst I was off sick, holiday for this period was processed, and despite me having requested first, other people have been given this time off, and now there is no availability.

I asked about this when I first came back in January, and the manager said he would speak to the contact centre manager to sort it because it's not fair that I don't get this time off because the person processing holidays didn't follow the sheet properly. This has dragged on and on, and every time I've asked about it I've been told he's trying to sort it.

I've now been told that I'm not getting this holiday because the only way to do this is to take it off other people.

I'm incredibly pissed off about this, but there is nothing I can do.

That's wank and out of order. Find a new job then shit on managers desk as leaving pressie.
  • Yep, that's kind of my plan.

Does anyone have any experience of writing for content mills? Is it doable to make enough money to scrape by on them? Reports seem to vary from they are great, to they are the devil.
  • Call in sick on the days you wanted off for Wrestlemania.
  • Yep, that's kind of my plan. Does anyone have any experience of writing for content mills? Is it doable to make enough money to scrape by on them? Reports seem to vary from they are great, to they are the devil.
    I was trying to use one a while back for proofreading and editing jobs, but didn't get anywhere. I think mainly it was because I wasn't willing to put my rates too low (or lower myself to proofreading some prick's school assignment for $5), and most people will give jobs to those with a track record on the site.

Perhaps if you were willing to offer your services for next to nothing for a couple of months you could get somewhere, and then start to put your prices up. But I would do that now, as a sideline, rather than after you quit your job.
  • I'm looking at maybe either going part time here, or getting another part time job if I can get some other income.To be honest, as long as I can pay my bills I'll take that for now.

Signed up with Textbroker, and looking around for any others.
  • Thanks for your thoughts, chaps.

Stoph - I don't really fancy secondary. I nearly went into it straight from Uni but I don't think I'd enjoy it much. I don't think I have the knowledge to thrive in the things I'd want to teach (English).

Private school I'd consider - Since having Leo money is something I've started to put into the equation a lot more. We have a Alternative Provision school around the corner but I don't think I'd be very good at getting thumped.

I was on my pseudo-NPQSL tonight and everyone was a dickhead. All "A member of staff comes to me upset because they can't control their class? They get no sympathy from me" etc and stuff like that. "People always cry when I do their PMR." What the fuck is wrong with these people? I thought we were supposed to have some emotional intelligence in this job? 

Bleugh bleugh bleugh.

On another note, I had a mild hissy fit at the end of school today. LSA's fuck off bang on finishing time because, well, they don't get paid enough to work beyond it, basically. And for some reason half of them work until 3pm instead of until 3:10 when the school day finishes. Somehow it had been contrived that I ended up with no additional adults at the end of the day and had to take my class of 31 children across the playground - filled with parents - on my own, with two major flight risk children (one with downs, the other a looked after child with emotional problems) on my own. Fucking ridiculous and a huge safeguarding risk.

Quite fancy a nice office job.
  • Kaz - I worked with Lady Tiger for the better part of 2.5 years in very close proximity it almost killed our relationship. Spending all of your time together is a lot.

It was great for the long stretches but it put a lot of strain on us. Well, me. I'm quite precious.
  • Fuck me lost a big post clicking on the BBcode thing accidental. In essence, it was good luck to Tigro and HawBaw and that I've got two more first interviews this week, and the one I wrote about want me back in for a second...even though I said to the recruiter I only would go back for that if they agreed to 10k more than what was on the job description, or being able to work from home day a week. I expected them to say no instantly which would have been fine but this has thrown me a bit. This one is in line with my experience, the two others are at the other end of the spectrum, one startup, and one that's outside my comfort zone but could be a lot more creative. Goal is to hand in notice by end of next week one way or another. I can't wait to see my manager's face.
    Good luck mate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We have a Alternative Provision school around the corner but I don't think I'd be very good at getting thumped.

I'm happy to help if you need some practise.

But yes, office jobs are the best.
  • I think I'd probably get bored in an office job, but I do quite fancy it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Depends on the job really, some are interesting some aren't, sitting at a desk or not has little to do with it. Retail is as dull as fuck most of the time.
  • Sitting at a desk for hours on end every day is the single best way to destroy your wellbeing. It wrecks you physically and mentally. If I could have my time over, I'd be a mechanic or a carpenter. Screw being desk-chained.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've spent my time in non-desk jobs, my desk one is far, far better for my mental wellbeing. Maybe not physical (although doing regular hours and having a proper weekend is not to be sniffed at, and less common in non-desk jobs), but based on my experience, I'd pick a desk job every single time.
  • Yeah it fucks with your health.
    Sitting on a gym ball rather than a chair can help a hell of a lot, same for stand up desks.

When I'm in an office/studio I will walk around all the time, I can't hack sitting at a desk hours on end.
    Home is harder but having the dog is helping.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am considering a standing desk, it's far from impossible where I work. Should I actually do that, the desk job will win in every way.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Been a bicycle mechanic for almost 3 years, was definitely better than sitting at a desk. Had to work Saturdays, but only till 4. Would love finding something like that again, (preferably part time though). All my work was at eye height, the store I worked at was really well equipped though. Doing standing work while you have to bend or stretch too much isn't very good for you. Kinda miss it. Being able to go outside for a test ride was also a plus, nothing worse than staring at a screen / wall / window all day. Think that's actually the worst thing about desk work, being inside the whole time. I like fresh air.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Take up smoking, loads of excuses to go outside.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I never smoked at work, not even when working retail. Quit though, not planning on starting again.
  • @Yoss
    See if they will go for one of them desks that convert from standing to seated. Or standing hot desks if you guys use laptops.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The first seems unlikely, but we have various cabinets around that would be about the right height for this (at least one other guy in the department does it already). It would just mean moving my screen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!