• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    They’re not offering any terms to anyone though – they’re skirting the issue. The director's talking to me are implying that nothing is going on, while the MD and HR guy are telling my Mrs that multiple redundancies are imminent, and she’s probably maybe first.

Either they don’t talk to each other or they think we don’t. (And we know the former isn’t the case – they’ve been having secret meetings about redundancies etc for two weeks now.)

Acting like grown ups and discussing financial and redundancy worries openly with the whole team would have been much easier on all concerned and allowed us to leave on good terms, like the competent professionals we are.

Shit on the MD's desk.
  • It’s on my mental list of potential responses, depending on the next couple of hours.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Oh right, I thought they'd made the decision, not putting the feelers out. Snide stuff.

Anyway, fingers crossed for you both, hope you get redundancy out of it as it's a canny lumper when you've got another job lined up.
  • Shit situation, pop. Same for yorr lass, Paul.

Is yorr right I dont speak good keepa.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I might redact that, as she's not out yet and you never know who's snooping.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Jesus bollocks, sorry you've to go through all that. It's not that hard for them to just stand up, could be a potential case for constructive dismissal, after all they are making your position untenable, but maybe they offer the redundancy
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Our beloved MD bottled it. Said he had ‘missed the email about the half-four meeting’ and that he ‘didn’t know’ whether a decision hadn't been made yet.

Both statements are grade-A bullshit. He sent out the email requesting the half-four meeting. And our HR guy has already confirmed that they’ve made their decision but he can’t talk about it until the MD is present.

The Mrs and I are done with this place. Even if it means missing out on redundancies, we’ll take jobs elsewhere as soon as we get good offers. Now that we’re seeing the owners’ true colours we no longer want to work to line their pockets.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Shit on the MD's desk.

• Bloody hell, that sounds like an awful situation to be in. While it sounds incredibly unprofessional, I would still wait and see what they have to say. 

As shit as redundancies are, the payout would be welcome if you are able to get something lined up in the meantime.

(Also do a shit on the MD's desk - sounds like someone I used to work with, completely bottling the hard chats)
  • They are going about it such a cunty way.

Redundancies are horrible things but the best way to take the edge off is to be open, honest and efficient.
  • Yeah we had a "restructuring" this year and to be fair it was all pretty well handled. Some good people went (some dross too) but the comms were good and management listened. Most of those who went were happy to go.
  • My redundancy was run pretty well but was rough. A lot of us went and we were all genuinene friends, 3 of the guys lived together and two couples were involved.
    My boss was gutted, she knew she had built a good team of people and knew she wouldn't get it back.
    I go back there for freelancing but the company is a shadow of it's old self.
  • Wait to see what happens with redundancies. Don't let them off the hook, make them pay. It sounds like a wave of resignations from long-serving senior staff is exactly what they want.
  • I’m past giving a shit whether they get what they want or not. Yes, I’d prefer a little justice and a little pile of redundancy money, but our futures are more important. If jobs come up that we genuinely want, before the directors here make announcements, we’re taking them anyway.
  • Spot on there Pop.
    Don't cut your nose off to spite your face.
  • Manager seems stressed today. Hmmm, I'm just getting on with it best I can. Meeting at 2pm. Fingers crossed.
  • You’ve got this Gav. Being intelligent and competent trumps being a manager, every time.
  • So it was better than I thought. My personality and passion and intelligence for the job is never in question, I just need to up my policy knowledge game and be more confident and assertive making decisions when running the place. Basically, Time+Confidence=Good Boi.

Phew.
  • High-fucking-five. Hell yeah.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I never doubted it for a second, Gav.
  • Played Gav.

On a different note no joy here.

Will get more feedback in the next few days, but initial feedback sounded as previously expected, "not corporate enough".

Rather be myself to he honest.
    Can-of-sprite
  • So it was better than I thought. My personality and passion and intelligence for the job is never in question, I just need to up my policy knowledge game and be more confident and assertive making decisions when running the place. Basically, Time+Confidence=Good Boi. Phew.

Aye, both of those will come with time. Knowledge of the policy will help with your confidence in making decisions as well.
  • Setting myself a target of half an hour daily reading the ops manual.

It was how I'd hope it'd be in my head. I think my worries came from not knowing how seriously, if at all, they take my shortcomings after this long in the job. But, I'm the only supe here that's came from outside, all the others were SA's before. That's time and experience I can't buy, or read up on.
  • Have to say Gav, you are showing a great attitude there. Taking on board criticism and actively trying to address it is a skill in itself that not enough people have.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Chin up Skade. Fuck all that corporate nonsense.Candidate over bullshit. Best of luck next time.
  • Cheers Stoph, that dinner lady job still available?

My manager has been hinting at another opportunity for me for about 3 months, fingers crossed this isn't some carrot waving as the role she is hinting at is right up my street. Something that was made even clearer in the feedback today.

Can only wait and see, meanwhile I have a bottle of wild beer Co "Millionaire" to drink with the promise to myself to buy a crate when I'm successful next time.
    Can-of-sprite
  • 'not corporate enough' sounds like you had a lucky escape to me.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    to share (in writing) all my personal connections

They're onto you! What a bunch.

My personality and passion and intelligence for the job is never in question, I just need to up my policy knowledge game and be more confident and assertive making decisions when running the place.

‘We have a use for you right now, but we always reserve the groundwork for a future firing.’

Unless your policy knowledge is demonstrably lacking? I never trust criticism about decision-making without examples. I also have no career.
  • Escape wrote:
    My personality and passion and intelligence for the job is never in question, I just need to up my policy knowledge game and be more confident and assertive making decisions when running the place.
    ‘We have a use for you right now, but we always reserve the groundwork for a future firing.’ Unless your policy knowledge is demonstrably lacking? I never trust criticism about decision-making without examples. I also have no career.

Ignore this Gav, this is bollocks.
  • Yup.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!