Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Cheers, G.

Mate, we all know you've got a great work ethic and heaps of experience, I'm sure you've smashed it.
    And, for the record, I've definitely felt the same with everything I've done.

Good luck with everything pop. At least you've got the good interview experiences of late to calm the nerves somewhat, not just jumping into the great unknown.

And grats HawBaw!
  • Keep getting sign off rejected because of supplied art work within my visuals.

I'm not a graphic designer, bell ends!
  • How do you get a job that you can then pretend you know what you're doing in - I keep failing at the first part.
  • Become a teacher? We all seem to wing it.
  • I can't command respect, Scottish kids would destroy me.
  • Tempy wrote:
    How do you get a job that you can then pretend you know what you're doing in - I keep failing at the first part.

First, pretend you know what you’re doing in interviews. No, wait – in first contact emails.

In all seriousness, most creative employers what to know what kind of person you are and how your brain works. Experience comes with time, nobody expects you to magically have it from the start. Tell employers how enthusiastic and willing to learn you are. Be interested in and informed about the stuff they do.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Become a teacher? We all seem to wing it.

It's true! I've now done 10 years and I've so far got away with it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It is pretty simple Tempy.

You get 4 years experience before getting a job that will give you experience.
    Once you are in you get paid as a junior despite being a middle weight then pretend you know what you are doing with the umpteen additional roles they dump on you.
  • Then you get burned out, realise it's a young kids game then you change careers.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • On the way home from work the other day I walked up the station stairs and there was a poster that went something along the lines of...
    Have an exciting career become a graphic designer, join whatever university. 

Fuck right off.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Haha.

Got to admit going freelance has rejuvenated my enthusiasm. The rant above and a few other recent niggles are coming about because I have been in one place too long.
    Been here since April and still have another 4 weeks before my contract ends. So it will be five months total, that is a long time for me to be in one place and I definitely start to feel bored and frustrated.
    Just focussing on the money right now, if I am careful with money I won't actually need to work for the rest of the year, but have a few other contracts lined up anyway.
  • Oh man. My personal review was a laugh-a-minute.

First thing they said when I sat down was that they want me to ‘do more writing’ because I’m good at it. So I asked what sort of thing they have in mind. Oh, writing project reviews, press releases, bids and tenders, that sort of thing.

So, that would be what they pay Mrs Poprock to do then.

I asked if the two things were related – if their request was anything to do with the ‘current situation’ with my Mrs. They pretended that there is no ‘situation’ and swiftly changed the subject.

Later in the review, they started banging on about how it is now to be part of my role/responsibilities to bring in new business. To source new client leads and to share (in writing) all my personal connections and networks with the company directors.

Again, new business is Mrs Poprock’s job.

But nothing’s going on there, oh no. It’s just coincidence that it’s 20 minutes until she finds out whether she’s going to have a job tomorrow or not.

The sheer arrogance just astounds me, let alone the complete lack of empathy for how I might be feeling about the company today. Fuck them all in both ears. With a rusty chainsaw.
  • That is beyond words.

Get the fuck out of there!
  • Aye. And I’m taking my ‘personal connections and networks’ with me to whichever of their competitors offers me money first.
  • I suggest taking notes on all of this and getting onto citizen's advice.
    I think it will be a bit of a grey area but they don't seem to be following procedure to me.

If your Mrs is made redundant, especially if she is the only person made redundant, then they put all the work on you it seems a bit dodge.
    Like I say a grey area so I would look for proper advice.
  • Did you say your relationship was an unknown Poppo?
  • That sounds a) bad, bordering on illegal and b) fucking moronic, don't they know spouses talk to each other??!!

Wow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, that's staggeringly dumb, unless they're hoping that one or both of you quit in a fit of pique.
  • The Mrs and I are openly in a relationship and we’ve been transparent about that with work from day one (we’re engaged – hopefully marrying next year).

They’ve been very very carefully covering their arses and saying ‘this is not an official conversation’ with my Mrs so far. But our part-time HR guy has been in every day, which can only mean that he’s keeping an eye on everyone’s big mouths to make sure they don’t cross any legal lines.

Outlining that I’ve got new responsibilities (non-negotiable) which are all openly known to be my Mrs’ current jobs … it’s just ridiculous. I’m reaching Malcolm Tucker levels of outrage. 

They won’t be putting all her responsibilities on to me. They’ll be spreading them across our team, after making her role redundant – because if it’s redundancy then they can’t hire anyone to replace her. 

But I’m still expecting them to announce redundancies across the whole team as soon as they’re done talking to my Mrs. We’ll see.

(Got another interview lined up for myself on Wednesday. Today’s not been a total waste.)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yeah, that's staggeringly dumb, unless they're hoping that one or both of you quit in a fit of pique.

And save them paying redundancies out. Yep.
  • Ah yeah. Of course everyone else will agree to the extra responsibilities as to avoid redundancy (which is fair enough on them).

They can't be asking yourself though.
    Say yes and make your Mrs redundant, say no and make yourself redundant.
    They can't possibly ask you that and that is where the dodgy part is for me.

Also a conversation is a conversation, don't buy any of this "off the record" shit.
  • Sorry Poppo, I thought I remembered you saying it was on the DL. They sound awful, I hope you steal a 100 contracts from them.
  • The fact that we’ve both already decided to leave removes a lot of the stress with this situation.

I’m just astounded at quite how shit they’re being.

I mean … either I stay on and they’ve got a key employee they know will resent them, or I leave as well and they’re knowingly burning bridges with both of us. Both options are simply bad business. Shooting themselves in both feet, the idiots.
  • … aaand our MD has blanked Mrs Poprock all afternoon. He’s completely missed the 4:30 meeting with her that he scheduled to announce whether she’s staying or going. He’s called a meeting now about a project with a bunch of other staff and shut himself in the boardroom.

We close in 10 mins. Fucksake.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Knock on the door, ask what time the meeting will end.
  • Doesn’t matter now. I’m leaving at 5:30 to go home and let the dog out, Mrs Poprock is going to stay here until they’re finished and confront him. Making an official complaint about all this through our HR guy tomorrow, whatever the outcome.
  • Aye, sounds like the thing to do.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The fact that we’ve both already decided to leave removes a lot of the stress with this situation.

I’m just astounded at quite how shit they’re being.

I mean … either I stay on and they’ve got a key employee they know will resent them, or I leave as well and they’re knowingly burning bridges with both of us. Both options are simply bad business. Shooting themselves in both feet, the idiots.

It's a shite situation, but what else could they do? They had to offer you the same terms as everyone else didn't they?
  • You deal with the role being removed first.
  • They’re not offering any terms to anyone though – they’re skirting the issue. The director's talking to me are implying that nothing is going on, while the MD and HR guy are telling my Mrs that multiple redundancies are imminent, and she’s probably maybe first.

Either they don’t talk to each other or they think we don’t. (And we know the former isn’t the case – they’ve been having secret meetings about redundancies etc for two weeks now.)

Acting like grown ups and discussing financial and redundancy worries openly with the whole team would have been much easier on all concerned and allowed us to leave on good terms, like the competent professionals we are.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!