Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Oh fuuuuck, my old firm Radiant Worlds is going under! I only left a few months back, had no inkling things were potentially getting rocky with the clients :-/

Was there when Blitz went under and was lucky to be on the SkySage team, so didn't lose my job then as that got spun off into Radiant Worlds. Was randomly getting tired of the place a year or so ago and started looking around, and only just got out months before they go under! I am one double-lucky sonofabitch right now.

Obviously, I found out cos of a recruiter email via LinkedIn popping up on my phone and the notification starting "First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear the bad ne..." I guess it's good that nowadays LinkedIn lets news spread fast and other employers can step in and hire people up.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've never known a company not find fault with someone at a review. That doesn't mean that targets for improvement indicate a sacking on anyone's backburner — 'course not, but if a sacking ever comes, they need something to blame it on.

I'd be wary of making a huge effort to be a star employee unless I felt sure that I could become indispensable, and I'm not sure that you ever can be in retail? I'm inherently lazy when it comes to things that don't inspire me, though, so I probably would get sacked for indolence. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't dance through hoops to please anyone, 'cause I'm sure that you're doing perfectly well as you are.
  • Dodged a bullet there chump.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yup, for sure, twice! Just call me Neo, or Boris.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I've never known a company not find fault with someone at a review. That doesn't mean that targets for improvement indicate a sacking on anyone's backburner — 'course not, but if a sacking ever comes, they need something to blame it on.

I'd be wary of making a huge effort to be a star employee unless I felt sure that I could become indispensable, and I'm not sure that you ever can be in retail? I'm inherently lazy when it comes to things that don't inspire me, though, so I probably would get sacked for indolence. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't dance through hoops to please anyone, 'cause I'm sure that you're doing perfectly well as you are.

Could it not just be an attempt to highlight an area where a good employee is lacking, and enable them to improve themselves?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Usually is, I'm just a big old cynic. When they say that about someone like Gav, fair enough, but if they said it about me then I wouldn't trust them. Doesn't make me right, I just wouldn't bend over backwards if I knew that I was already competent.

(Personality and passion'd be lies, for a start.)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Passion can be faked.
  • Not long term, it can’t. Truth will out.

Jeezo Chump. Funny way to find out.

Mrs Poprock is FINALLY in with our MD for a proper discussion. We’ll know what’s going on soon.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hoping for the best, Poppo, whatever that may be.
  • Well, our HR guy is in the studio again, but he’s not in the room with them. That indicates it can’t be a dismissal or an official notice of redundancy process. Or it should anyway.
  • Interesting.
  • Nice one gav. Seems like a fair review for starting out. Do some study as you say and the confidence for decision making will come with time and the knowledge.
  • poprock wrote:
    Well, our HR guy is in the studio again, but he’s not in the room with them. That indicates it can’t be a dismissal or an official notice of redundancy process. Or it should anyway.
    Slightly concerning.
    Once the r word crosses lips HR really should be in all relevant meetings.
    Although if they fuck up procedure you only stand to gain really.
  • They called the HR guy in for the end of the meeting.

Two-week consultation process begins today. Four week redundancy process after that.

So Mrs Poprock’s redundancy process starts on her birthday and she gets made redundant officially just around mine. Nice touch guys.

Certainly looks like that ‘unofficial’ warning chat two weeks ago was specifically to try and get her to leave of her own accord and avoid redundancy. Now they have to pay out and they can’t hire a replacement in the same role if business picks up.

Lots of insistences from the MD that it’s only her role affected. No other redundancies planned around the company. I call bullshit, reckon that part of the chat was just for my benefit. If they’re on such a financial knife edge that one salary makes a difference, then nobody is secure any more.

Still, chin up. I have another interview after work tonight.
  • Aye, fuck 'em Pops! Pair of you are better off elsewhere. At least they'll have to stump up for redundancy.
  • Yep, sounds like a decent result in pretty unpleasant circumstances.
  • Well, it could be better.

It’s really the option of voluntary redundancy for me that we were hoping for. Mine would be a much bigger payout, y’see.

As this stands, I’ll be walking out voluntarily with no cash in hand, once I get a new job offer. At least the Mrs is going to get a few grand and she now has a timeframe for how long that’ll cover her.

Onwards and upwards.
  • They may well be talking bollocks, and you'll still get that before you have to hand in your notice.

Maybe now is the time to talk to them about upping pension contributions.
  • Focus on getting another job Pop.
    If you get a redundancy payment, bonus, if not then you are out of a potentially sinking ship that you have lost respect for. You were looking at other roles before any of this anyway.

Your Mrs has 6 weeks, plenty of time to get something confirmed if not started.
  • So are you not at risk Pop?
  • If you're definitely going, don't give them your personal networks and connections or whatever it was they were asking for.
  • Officially I’m not at risk. Officially nobody is except my Mrs, who has two weeks to build a case for staying on. She’s not going to do that, she wants to leave.

That’s all because she is a department of one within our company, with a unique role.

I call bullshit on there being no other risk though. They just don’t want to say it. If their goal is to save three grand per month (which is what they’ve said), then that’s too fine a knife edge to be sitting on. One more project coming to an end could see more redundancies.
  • monkey wrote:
    If you're definitely going, don't give them your personal networks and connections or whatever it was they were asking for.

Oh hell no. They can go fuck themselves on that one regardless. It was plain stupid of them to try and start reallocating parts of Mrs Poprock’s responsibilities before starting the redundancy process.
  • Yeah does sound very odd to just put one person at risk. It also means the outcome is near enough certain.
  • Like I said the other day, when I was made redundant they were close to folding.

They did a small round of redundancies (about 5% of the company) a few months before the big one which involved all but a few core people. In between they sacked all the sales team bar one and the sales director.

They left it so late at our place that otherwise good ideas to save money/bring in more were rejected because they wouldn't have time to get them up and running.

Like you say, if one salary needs to be dropped then things are very tight.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Accidentally got myself an interview at Media Molecule.  Eeeeek.
  • Fuck yes.

Is that commutable, or would that mean a move?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Are you leaving your current role of your own accord, or did you get the sack, boy?
  • Sounds great. They're probably just sitting around and playing Mario Kart or something. Certainly don't seem to be making any games.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!