Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Advantages of working in a big chain pub: Actual training, actual guidelines/rules, HR procedures if things go wrong, genuinely good experience that’s of value to other pubs in future.

No’ a bad thing, all round. And a few quid in your pocket.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The bonus of working in a bar is the money you don't spend on a Fri/Sat night in the pub.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • And tips, depending on the bar. (I wouldn’t expect there’ll be any in the kind of pub we’re talking about here though.)

Oh! And staff drinks after the shift.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really enjoyed the couple of years I did bar work. It feels really weird to be that side of the bar at first but you soon get used to it.
  • I broke my bartending cherry at the goddamn Cathouse. Absolutely shite most of the time but the staff drinks afterwards were legendary.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've already written a solid 3000 words on my time in a hotel bar on the oldrum. Best people I've met, some I'm still solid pals with bow, but by fuck was that a draining job .

Of course the differences between that and a big pub were - 1) entitled wee pricks on £45 offer price rooms shouting "DICK TURPIN WORE A MASK" when I rang them up drinks at a 4 star hotel. Call the fucking banter police.

2) there was no set closing time due to it being a hotel bar. This could mean 4 or even 5 am finishes on a 5;30pm start.

Again tho, the staff drinks were legendary
    "You're allowed one"
    *Fills pint glass with Macallan"*
  • I did bar work at a working men's social club. Amazing times.

Proper 70s throwback with blue comedians, no women in the bar, that sort of thing. Cribbage, dominoes, pool and darts.

Loved it. Down times chatting with the oldies was great. Also fun on a Friday/Saturday when it got properly heaving and you were flat out so the time just flew by.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - I did working men's club work too (aircraft factory in Belfast built a club for its workforce). Though women were allowed in that establishment. Actually one of the rowdiest nights we had was the East Belfast Ladies' Darts Team annual dinner. The waiters ended up refusing to go out on the floor....One guy's arse was black and blue.

Normal Saturday nights had bingo at 9pm when you couldn't even wash a glass without getting a killer look. Ballroom dancing, dodgy singers and bands.

We had the Sunday Sport topless Roadshow for 2 nights. That was a different crowd!

Also worked in an English pub ('89-90) - The Unicorn in Great Malvern. Mixed crowd but tending to be younger. Was packed at weekends and I was a bit of a novelty with my NI accent. Good times.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Looks like I maybe bartering my way to a significant payrise by potentially leaving my current role and joining someone I currently freelance for.

I would be leaving a dream job, like literally best place I’ve worked at, but as I said before I don’t feel like I’m going anywhere fast where I am. Meeting the boss of the new company next week to discuss terms before making any hasty decisions but it’s all sounding very promising... they are opening a position for me based on the work I’ve done for them over the last 3 months.

It will all fall through now lol.

Holy shit this might be happening. Met up with them last week, everything went really well, showed them a few things they weren’t aware I could do, talked about ways I could improve what they do currently etc. All went cool.

Today I’ve been offered a head of design and marketing role! Starting salary is a significant boost, meaning I probably won’t need to freelance/graft in the evenings (I probably will still). Just asked them to send a contract in writing before I officially accept but I’m bloody chuffed, the hard work seems to be paying off... finally!!

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Congrats.
  • Ooooh! Well done mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Great stuff. Well done.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Brilliant! Great news Mike.
  • So in September, we're going to be switching to supporting Smart TV's.

Anyone know about them? Any online resources I can look at?
  • I used to do tech support for LG. No idea if there are online resources but the main thing people do wrong is they are divheads.
  • Just memorise the entire contents of this website Dante.
    https://www.devicemanuals.eu/tag/tv/
  • I used to support the Samsung smart TV app for our company, it was the 2010-2012 models. They were awful back then.

Got a new one a couple of years ago and it’s always been fine, they’re fairly self explanatory, and as with all these things, will mostly depend on your broadband anyway.

I used to get things like ‘I’m trying to 3G from my hut in Finland to the iPad which I’m using this unofficial Samsung app to mirror your app and it’s a little stuttery, why is your app so shit?’
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Turn it off and on again.

Have you updated it to the latest firmware?

Is it plugged in?
  • You’ll just get loads of 60 year olds calling up and asking you why Netflix won’t work despite there being a Netflix button on the screen.  You’ll exhaust all possibilities to help them until it becomes apparent that they don’t actually subscribe to Netflix at all, and won’t want to provide any information to anyone on the phone or internet anymore anyway because Sue, at the end of the street, well her husband once told a man from talk talk his password and now they’ve lost the retirement fund and he’s still got to work even at his age and with his knees.
  • hahaha
  • Some friends of my folks were convinced they had Netflix cos there was a Netflix button on their remote.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Doesn't seem unreasonable :)
  • Was like when I was a wee lad and there was the Internet Explorer shortcut on Windows 3.11 on our 486. I watched that little world symbol turn way too many times. Each time expecting "the internet" to just work. Took me a long time to learn the truth.
  • As far as I know this is London based, but I haven’t checked. Might be of interest to one or two of you.

K4Ftwj3.jpg
  • Too bad I'm not a handsome man.
  • In casting call language ‘real’ = ‘no need to be a looker’. Just sayin’ …
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    He's just fishing for compliments, he knows he's gorgeous.
  • That's why I like you. <3
  • I still haven’t lived down the Labo advert at my place. If they ever find the Japanese Hitachi ad my family did, I’ll have to leave teaching.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!