Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Applied for a job at the end of July and still waiting to hear if I’ve been shortlisted - man, waiting is the pits. However, when I spoke to the recruiting manager before I applied he did say that due to holidays etc they probably wouldn’t be interviewing until early September so maybe they still haven’t done the shortlisting.

Trying to resist the temptation to email him and ask.

Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm not sure there's anything to lose by emailing? But I could be wrong... I would've thought it shows interest more than anything.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I've just taken 5 days off work to catch up on personal projects.

Finally finished a promotional documentary for a photographer I know. Started filming it a year ago. It's only 2m40...

Caught up with some freelance work and then most importantly actually made a start on my short film I shot in October last year.

I'm lucky to earn from freelance on top of my job and I'm really appreciative of it but it's a fucking time sink. Back to work today. Freelance work this evening. 7 til midnight.

Sometimes not sure if it's worth it.

equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I’m going through the same thing. Regular thoughts of ‘is this really worth it?’ about freelance work.

Now that I’m not reliant on the extra income, if I were to put a cash value on my free time … would it be higher than the money I’m earning from freelance? Almost certainly. So why am I doing it? All I can really come up with is a sense of responsibility. I don’t want to turn my back on the clients who have been loyal freelance customers for years.
  • I am in the same boat. 

I try not to book myself too much, but the last month has been full on evening work non-stop (I still keep weekends as a break), probably the busiest I have ever been. I've been able to keep it interesting for myself my mixing up the work i'm doing, so a web job one week, design/branding the next - currently doing an animation thats being mapped to a building. I'm kinda lucky I have clients in different areas. 

Its been enjoyable though, the financial benefits are starting to show (saving for a house deposit) - but i know I need to give myself a break soon; I'm starting a new job next month and don't want to feel distracted.
  • I got in a lot of trouble with the wife yesterday for intimating that her business enterprise isn't a real job and that the days she is off doing it should count as a day for herself without the lad to look after because she chose to do it and it wasn't a necessity that she did it because the money it makes is negligible and it's going to be net minus for years due to franchise costs.

This did not go down well.

I'm not a clever man.
  • I didn't really mean it either. Just a bit fucked off with the amount of time she puts into it where I'm left with Lad whereas I don't get the same time to do any writing.
  • I got in a lot of trouble with the wife yesterday for intimating that her business enterprise isn't a real job and that the days she is off doing it should count as a day for herself without the lad to look after because she chose to do it and it wasn't a necessity that she did it because the money it makes is negligible and it's going to be net minus for years due to franchise costs. This did not go down well. I'm not a clever man.

Always a tricky issue when work comes up. I tend to work long unsociable hours as well as finishing up work at home and my wife gives me grief for it (and more often then not she is somewhat correct, I should be stepping back a bit more and managing as opposed to trying to do the line and manage) but she doesnt feel that her doing courses to improve her education to further her career is the same even though both my overtime and her courses ultimately fuel the same goal of career advancement.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Make hay while the sun shines lads.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Make hay while the sun shines lads.

You think there is something coming that may disrupt the economic harmony? Some form of exit perhaps?
    SFV - reddave360
  • We won’t be able to afford beer once that happens. We could call it a beer-exit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What kind of franchise, out of interest, tiger? (No need to reply to that if you don't want to, just being nosy as my wife has just quit her job and is mulling over franchise stuff amongst other things...)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is Avon still on the go?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Pretty sure we get an Avon catalogue dropped off now and then.
  • Baby Massage.

If this is a real answer, then I'd say you were right.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I know babies are soft and all, but I still don’t think you should be massaging people with them.
  • NO ITS BABY MASSAGE.

AS IN YOU JUST DO A REALLY TINY RUB ON THE AFFECTED AREA.

D'UUUUUUHHHHHHH YOU DUMBDUMBS
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • This is all pretty fucking weird. I would absolutely not want a massage from a baby. My experience tells me they would not have a clue what they are doing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tiger’s wife is a baby? Someone call the police.
  • Sometimes I wake up to a ‘massage’ where the kids just crawl all over me to get me up on the weekends. If I just curl up and refuse, they then ‘knead the dough’ which basically means thump my back with their fists till I give in.

It’s not a great business plan I have to say. I would pay to not have this done though, maybe that’s a thing?
  • So what youre saying is shes running a protection racket?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sometimes I wake up to a ‘massage’ where the kids just crawl all over me to get me up on the weekends. If I just curl up and refuse, they then ‘knead the dough’ which basically means thump my back with their fists till I give in. It’s not a great business plan I have to say. I would pay to not have this done though, maybe that’s a thing?

I remember that treatment involving a small child running up and down on the bed and treading on my bollocks occasionally.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • No I don't want more siblings.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Considering the fact that Davy’s kids would have had siblings before they could walk, I think you need to add ‘more’ into the post above.
  • Corrected. Thanks Guardian Fact Check Desk. :)
  • davyK wrote:
    Sometimes I wake up to a ‘massage’ where the kids just crawl all over me to get me up on the weekends. If I just curl up and refuse, they then ‘knead the dough’ which basically means thump my back with their fists till I give in. It’s not a great business plan I have to say. I would pay to not have this done though, maybe that’s a thing?
    I remember that treatment involving a small child running up and down on the bed and treading on my bollocks occasionally.

I hadn't been to the doctors in nearly 10 year, but after having that occur so many times I did go in for a check when I found it hard to walk once... 

No joke, when she was 2 she climbed up the top of the headboard, and jumped off with her elbow pointed directly into my nads. It was pretty impressive looking back, but I couldn't see that at the time. i couldn't actually see very much at all.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!