Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I had a meeting with his line manager and the Director but they think it best resolved without HR, but a documented verbal warning with third party present. 

I don't know enough to be sure if that's appropriate but I'm not sure how anyone in a workplace can be given a warning without HR being involved? If it's documented, presumably that means it's in his employee file...

It's worth checking if there's a documented company policy for this kind of thing and also consider putting your complaint it writing so there's evidence of it should this be repeated or escalated in future.

Best of luck with it whatever you decide, mate.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Cheers Cosby, I had it all typed, but out of courtesy mentioned my intention and it’s kind of being kept below stairs because it’s bad press and the guy is a good worker aside from his aggressive nature.

I don’t want him to lose his job, he’s got a family I just want him to stop being a cunt, (not to me necessarily) but in general.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Cheers Cosby, I had it all typed but out of courtesy mentioned my intention and it’s kind of being kept below stairs because it’s bad press and the guy is a good worker aside from his aggressive nature.

Right, so because he's a good worker he gets to skate on physical assault? Fuck that. If this was handed to me as a disciplinary, it'd be immediate dismissal. I've sacked folk for less. Put in a written grievance, and ask your witness to write down what they saw. If your boss/hr are still talking about handling it informally or just giving him a verbal, go to acas/citizens advice/your union rep if you have one.
  • Can't you just tell him that you won't tolerate that kind of shit any more. One more aggressive outburst to you or any colleague and you'll get HR involved.

Nobody want's to work with a cunt.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Cheers Cosby, I had it all typed but out of courtesy mentioned my intention and it’s kind of being kept below stairs because it’s bad press and the guy is a good worker aside from his aggressive nature.

Right, so because he's a good worker he gets to skate on physical assault? Fuck that. If this was handed to me as a disciplinary, it'd be immediate dismissal. I've sacked folk for less. Put in a written grievance, and ask your witness to write down what they saw. If your boss/hr are still talking about handling it informally or just giving him a verbal, go to acas/citizens advice/your union rep if you have one.

Seconded. What about other people who may be intimidated by him
  • If you are empathic to his family etc & dont to want to nuke him follow Griffs advice, but this incident needs to be recorded first before you have words. It's unbelievable that the management are trying to keep HR out & it sounds like your new director is just trying to not upset the apple kart.

If your company/HR is any good they will try to get the route cause of his outbursts & offer support if they can, but he needs to be brought into line & the process needs a starting point. Tho imo, physical assault is a step to far, regardless what shit he has going on outside of work & in his head & maybe some tough love will awaken him to not be a cunt to others, verbally or physically.

Anyway, hope it all comes good for you "&" your colleagues, as Lord G said above, no one wants to work with a cunt.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Management will always try to handle things informally. Once HR get involved management lose control as process kicks in , a formal investigation will take place with interviews - and the whole thing develops a life of itself.

However - physical stuff is way out of bounds. If this happens again and someone gets hurt - it may bounce back in management's face as something that could have been avoided. I suspect management haven't thought of that.

That isn't the reason why this should be dealt with (saving a manager's arse) - just saying. It is management's responsibility to ensure a safe working environment.

The guy has to go. No second chances in this case.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Good management doesn't. Process is everything, making sure everyone is treated fairly. More than likely the first stage of any investigation would be done by management anyway.
  • Good management doesn't. Process is everything, making sure everyone is treated fairly. More than likely the first stage of any investigation would be done by management anyway.

We split investigation and disciplinary between 2 seperate managers. Dgm and gm stay removed from the process in case they have to hear an appeal. We only involve hr (or er these days) if it's a potential dismissal, or if there are any complicated mitigating circumstances, like mental health issues etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good management doesn't what? Not following you.

Stuff I've been involved in does have a basic investigation done by management - esp. with respect to a disciplinary. You can control it up to a point. But HR are crawling over that too with where I work.

The investigating officer if it goes full blown will be independent where I work too - I've been shipped into different depts for one or two serious ones where jobs have been on the line. Thankfully I haven't been involved in someone losing their job yet - though as an investigating officer I deliver a report to a panel with senior HR chairing who take my recs and make a final judgement.  :(
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Really appreciate the time you chaps are spending giving me advice. Genuine thanks.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dude, just we don't want you to be unhappy
  • What a complete dickhead. He’s supposed to be an adult, not throwing tantrums like a toddler.

Hope you get it sorted out, as someone who has massive anxiety with aggressive confrontation (I’ve been working on it and getting better these days luckily) this would make work extremely difficult, so not surprised it’s on your mind.

Man, fuck that though.
  • davyK wrote:

Try to handle things informally. If its not on paper it didnt happen.
  • Sounds awful. Report the swine.

I've had a lovely day and it's the last day of school tomorrow. Had some amazing comments from parents and staff and I wrote my own poem for the Leavers' Service that went down an absolute storm. Kids all started crying during the final song and nearly set me off but I maintained my heart of stone (despite what anyone says!)

I fucking love my job sometimes. So rewarding.
  • This is all very sound advice but I think you should just a throw something at the back of his head when no-ones looking then play dumb.

Perhaps piss on his chips for good measure?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Shit on his desk.
  • Nice one Tiger.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Shit on his face
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Shit in a kettle and then pour it on his face.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Shit on his face then pour it into a kettle.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Try to handle things informally. If its not on paper it didnt happen.

Our policy, depending on the event, is to try and resolve an issue informally. It's also important to handle something as far down the the pecking order as possible and as appropriate - as this facilitates an ordered escalation path. 

You can meet with people and keep notes - that's usually recommended. I did that in a recent case when I had two parties in with me literally crying. It was a misunderstanding and I was able to clear that up.

Obvs. some event such as fisticuffs or like this event would be handled formally.

I've managed certain events informally in the past - related to insults for example. 

I think it depends on the workplace too. I'm sure there are more robust environments in which things are handled differently. There are parts of the organisation I work in like that - they couldn't function otherwise because of the nature of  the business.

We have had some members of staff (in another dept) lose their life over H&S issues - obvs. those are totally process driven.

I'm in the public sector and we are pretty heavy on policy and process but even then we can manage some things informally. We in NI have extra pressures dealing with religious descrimination etc as well so going informal can be dodgy at times but it can be done. Depends on the circumstances and if in doubt we consult HR.

Quite often in my environment things are handled informally. But I've been involved in formal cases where, for example, a financial situation has arisen - no way you would go informal on that.

I'm reasonably senior in my organisation - senior enough to have enough rope to hang myself so I have to be careful - but that goes with the job. I've mentioned a series of events - they are all on a spectrum and in the middle is where things get grey and experience and judgement come in. (Also HR consultation). But if one party wants to go formal then I have to facilitate that no matter what.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Great insight there davy.

I have emailed HR this morning and cc’d my managers. Something I didn’t mention was my dept had a similar incidence a few years ago with a different dick involved in some shoving, he was sent home immediately and HR got envolved. I feel a precedent has been set by the company and my line manager shouldn’t act any differently.

Thanks again peepls..
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Sit at your desk slowly caressing your jobby knife and cackling.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ...........my dept had a similar incidence a few years ago with a different dick involved in some shoving, he was sent home immediately and HR got envolved. I feel a precedent has been set by the company and my line manager shouldn’t act any differently....

Correct.

@Diluted_Dante's point is quite correct in that process facilitates consistency.
  • Desperate for money right now but had a potential break - snagged some shifts at a Greene King/Bellhaven pub. It's a rotten place, that gets 3 deep on the bar on Fridays and Saturdays, coupled with the fact I have never worked a bar in my life. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Elsewhere, any attempts at selling stuff to earn money are sluggish. No-one wants my lovely Gibson for £300 less than in cost me, despite the fact it's basically brand new.
  • Bar work is alright mate, you'll smash it no problem!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Make sure they put you through a SALPs certificate, it'll come in handy if you decide to go for a job in another bar.
  • Temps literally just watch a vid on how to pull a pint on YouTube and you'll wing the rest. It's a piece of piss. You'll make wee mistakes but it's just a bar so crack on and get the next person's drink.
  • Anyway, congrats man. A slither of light! Let's build on it bud!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!