PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mind you don't hit Wossy
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Are you giving birth to a grown women, Reg?
  • Apart from having to go to Zurich last Monday for a day/night, I am doing far far less work in my new job than my last. For more money, and better hours.

I sort of understand why people get a bit flustered in smaller companies. I came from a tiny place that needed each person to multitask 20 random jobs at once, and make sure you never spent any money on any projects unless completely necessary. I used to wonder why people who came from such big companies knew so little or get so stressed compared, as I assumed you did way more in a bigger place...

I’ve had days where I’ve literally sorted my email boxes, tidied the IT lab, and just watched the clock till the days last meeting. We do get busy periods, and get asked to wing the occasional task, or fix a major outage, but it’s pretty infrequent.

I do worry I’ll get very bored quite quickly, and will want to join a more ‘creative’ company again. Just I know they don’t pay particularly well, and I’ve never asked for much.

I should just follow the money, I guess. As long as the people are nice and the jobs secure enough.
  • I would like your job please.
  • Got absolutely stitched up my boss. Again.

I was on a residential a few weeks ago and there was a small safeguarding incident where a TA didn't head count her group and a child was 'lost' for 10 minutes. This was within the main camp area (it's a big place) but still... it was a fuck up. Due to rigorous head counts. we noticed she was gone 10 minutes after the non-head count and then I jogged back and found her. 15 minutes max.

I explained to granddad when we returned, who was fine. Mum was less fine, but she's an anxious lady. I said I was more than happy to talk to her myself and explain exactly what happened. Head insisted he would speak to her and I didn't need to. He did. As far as I was concerned, the matter was closed.

I found out today that he told the mum I would be phoning to apologise. He told her this on the 18th, then told me today. He was also heard, today, telling her 'I must not have communicated this clearly enough to Mr Tiger' when he didn't communicate anything. He is lying through his teeth and has made me look like an awful person. I even had a separate meeting with this parent two days ago about her daughter's transition to secondary... no wonder she was frosty with me!

Absolutely appalled. 

Turns out he also took a child out of school today for a sporting event (an after school event) without any parental permission forthe child - Mum didn't even know there was an event and only found out due to another parent.
  • I've heard nothing from Feb when I last mentioned salary in our 3 monthly appraisals/talks. And even the appraisals/talks seem to have disappeared.

Fine if there is to be no rise but at least discuss it. I know others have asked for rises too and I think they're purposely ignoring it for as long as possible.

Feb was the 2nd time I mentioned pay. First being previous October when I was told 'they want to make sure I'm happy, can we discuss in Feb?' felt very positive. Then when I mentioned in Feb the atmosphere disappeared from the room.

Opinions?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Ask again.
    Update CV.

It seems in this world the only surefire way of getting a pay rise is to hand in your notice.
  • @Tiger That absolutely sucks. The guy seems useless and almost a liability really. You still moving to a new school in September?
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Shit work days today lads. Sad to hear.
  • I would like your job please.

It's only IT, but where I was before meant I was involved in so many projects. I built websites, edited trailers, sorted out servers and all the backups, pretty much all IT and admin support for both the offices, ran to cinemas to help fix equipment and helping with events...

Just lots of cool creative filmy stuff, running around like a madman.

Here I... sort some IT issues out via a ticket system. Everyone has basically the same setup, It's all just Office 365 and desk set up stuff. Sometimes help get systems back online if they go down and the guys in America are still asleep.

I know I shouldn't complain. I don't know if it's my slight ADD, or the fact I came from a very busy retail background, but it's just not me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I would like your job please.
    It's only IT, but where I was before meant I was involved in so many projects. I built websites, edited trailers, sorted out servers and all the backups, pretty much all IT and admin support for both the offices, ran to cinemas to help fix equipment and helping with events... Just lots of cool creative filmy stuff, running around like a madman. Here I... sort some IT issues out via a ticket system. Everyone has basically the same setup, It's all just Office 365 and desk set up stuff. Sometimes help get systems back online if they go down and the guys in America are still asleep. I know I shouldn't complain. I don't know if it's my slight ADD, or the fact I came from a very busy retail background, but it's just not me.

Where I work is a bit like this. But once the number of users is in the thousands it kind of has to be with separation of duty. You have to set things up to minimise creative thinking with troubleshooting. We can rebuild a PC in an hour  -  and quite often it's easier to just blow the image away instead of messing about trying to fix something.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, realise it's the nature of the beast. When I run into random problems I just re-image the machine.Not a huge amount of problem solving usually, as that takes a bit too long and as you say, there's hundreds of people.

I sort of took the job wanting to see what it's like on the other side, and also because I was used to having random work piled on and couldn't get a pay rise.

I now have a much better idea of standard IT practise, but maybe I should find a way to do this in a more creative industry. Maybe Cartoon Network are looking...
  • Nothing wrong with moving between industries and gaining experience.
    The days of single company careers are all but dead.
    I realise you are joking about Cartoon Network but I know some people who work in TV doing IT and while the job is largely the same they do get a kick out of being in a more creative company.
  • Thanks for the reassurance, it really does no favours staying put does it?

I would never joke about Cartoon Network! I would love to work for a cartoon channel, or even a marketing company that worked with them.

Problem is I actually knew people who came from places like that and they said it was ok except for the constant redundancies, which put me off. I do keep an eye out now and then though just in case.
  • A really good mate of mine does a lot of freelance editing for Viacom. They are Channel 5, MTV, Nickelodeon etc.
    Tricky being freelance and a different department but I could ask if he has an email address.
    They seem really very stable right now, in fact they are pushing MTV as a service currently which I suspect will run into their other content in time if successful.
  • As for staying put.
    I guess it depends on the person.
    I like being liquid. I like being master of my own destiny.
    I think you can stay still if it suits but these days I would always be ready to move, have money put away, just generally be smart.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Ah, we got to see them win in a 5-4 thriller. On the free baseball, did you make a catch?

It was free baseball day! First however many people got a free baseball commemorating the 150th of Canada.

4aJ3ilf.jpg

Got a free towel at Angels stadium too in LA.
  • poprock wrote:
    Depends how ‘clever’  the boss thinks they’re being. Making someone that uncomfortable in their position will usually start them looking to leave voluntarily, saving the company any redundancy payout. Which is a real dick move from an employer, but happens a lot in small/medium size businesses.

Isn't that literally the definition of constructive dismissal?
  • Yes, but constructive dismissal is near-impossible to legally prove. You have to demonstrate that there has been a major breach of contract and/or trust by your employer – and that you’ve attempted to address it through an official grievance procedure first.

We actually looked into it when our last boss told Mrs Poprock that her role ‘might’ be at risk but definitely wasn’t yet. The actual definition of trying to make her jump ship voluntarily.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    END OF TERM BUDDIES SEE YOU ON THE 15TH AUGUST NOW HOW DO I FILL THE VOID
  • A really good mate of mine does a lot of freelance editing for Viacom. They are Channel 5, MTV, Nickelodeon etc.

Oh yeah I used to have the job postings for Viacom bookmarked a while ago. I’ll re bookmark an IT search and keep an eye out. Cheers Live!

Edit: I suppose I should stay for a wee bit longer than 5 months in my current job though...
  • Employers, if you ask in the last hour of my shift if I want to stay on for another EIGHT hours, yer getting whatever half-baked story I can come up with. Jeez.

Thankfully, "I've a driving lesson, sorry" is quick, easy, and relevant. Absolutely not happening though. I'm away to play videogames for the first time in a week.
  • My answer would be no, because I don't want to.
  • To play Devil’s Advocate Gav, yer manager has probably been shafted by one of your colleagues to even be asking you that.

They can still get tae, but I do have sympathy.
  • Yep, another guy had car issues apparently (get a fuckin bus m8?) but it's all sorted now. If I went the Dante route I'd have been blacklisted for any future overtime I'm sure. S'the way the game is.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!