Work - The pros and the cons...
  • For the last 8 months I’ve been working to a new set of responsibilities, created in the previous round of reorganisation by a combination of my boss’s post being made redundant with some of her work filtering down to me and a more general re-structuring of how my service operates.  I wasn’t formally consulted on my job changing, as many other were during the last round of re-organisation, it just sort of happened out of necessity and practicality.

My organisation has a policy that, where an employee feels that their role and responsibilities have changed as significantly as mine have, that you refresh your job description and agree it with your line manager – it is then sent to HR with a request for re-evaluation to see whether your new roles & responsibilities warrant a re-grading of your job band.  I did this back in March.  The request should have been received by HR and sent to a Job Evaluation panel where a decision would be made as to any potential re-grade.  My request for re-evaluation has been delayed and delayed and delayed by both HR and then the Exec Team, with no reason given until recently as to why the delays were occurring.  In 2018/19, like many other NHS organisations, my organisation has to make another 15% cost savings (on top of last years 15% which was partly the cause of my taking on the further responsibilities) a part of which is likely to be on staffing.

On Friday, I was called into my Director’s office and advised that the Exec team had come to a decision about my request for job re-evaluation – not that a decision had been made at the JE panel, but that they had decided that my request for re-evaluation would not be considered at all – wiith no right of appeal.  This ‘gatekeeping’ of whether someone is permitted to apply for re-evaluation is not part of the agreed & established process and is a change that would have to be agreed by both management and staff side (eg. the unions) representatives -  which it has not been, to date.

So I am now in the position where I am doing a job which has changed and I am not being paid for, I was not formally consulted on the changes to my job and the agreed avenue for redress has been denied to me.  I am in discussions with my union about taking out a grievance against my employer and I would have, on a level playing field, a pretty strong case to demonstrate that they are in breach of a number of different issues – contractually and from an HR policy perspective. 

However – I don’t know whether I can.  I am acutely aware that I am in a quite privileged position – I am paid well for what I do, I have a lot of flexibility in my job that enables me to do things like work from home, pick the kids up from school and so on.  All things that my wife is unable to do in her job – a job that causes her such significant stress and anxiety that she has ground one of her teeth into a fracture and has had to have it removed.  She’s looking for other work with less stress and less hours so that she can spend more time at home with the kids – but like so many others we are restricted by the financial commitments we have and so there is only so much of a pay-cut we can take as a household.  But it is something that she has to do, before she reaches a real physical or emotional limit.  I can’t directly help her with her work but I can help her by providing that safety net for her to consider her options and take the action she needs to when she can.

So – I don’t know whether I should start this battle with my employer.  I cannot tolerate being exploited by them – I cannot abide that they get to make it up as they go along and that they expect me to just lie down like a good fucking dog and take it.  I want to take a stand, I want to fight them tooth and nail for what is right, I want to show them that they don’t get to exploit me or anyone else and expect to get away with it.  The reason why we have these HR laws, rules and guidelines is so that the powerless are able to exercise their right to be heard by the powerful.

If everything else was fine, if my other half didn’t have a psychopath for a boss and a job that was slowly killing her then I would without hesitation start down this path of taking on my employer.  But I have seen where this path has led for others – I have seen people get ‘managed out’ of organisations, I have seen their working lives and relationships fatally compromised by their not toeing the corporate line and the consequences brought on them by petty and vindictive managers.  Can I risk my reasonably secure position against a backdrop of another round of cuts where I could be easily ‘cut’ from any new organisational structure for my ‘intransigence’ and belief in what’s right?

Every fibre of my body is telling me to follow my heart, do what is right, take it to them and show them that they are wrong and that the people they employ cannot and should not be exploited.  But my head is telling me that this is not the right time, this is not the right thing for my family and my wife at this stage in our lives and that I just need to suck it up and think of getting through this shitty part of our lives by supporting the changes that she has to make.

But how will I look at myself in the mirror?  If I don’t stand up for something, then what do I stand for?  What kind of an example am I setting to my kids?  To know your place?  To toe the line? To do your job, no questions asked?  To be grateful you have a job and the opportunity to be exploited?

I don’t know what the fuck to do.  Principles or practicality?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Sorry Grem, that sounds shit, if also depressingly familiar.

I don't think I've got an easy answer.  Instead I've got a couple of questions...

Firstly, if you continue without challenging them are you going to find yourself resenting and hating the job?  Are you going to end up feeling about it the way that your wife does hers?  Because if so, you may be better off making a stand now.

Conversely, if you saw your current job advertised, with the current pay - irrespective of how it came to be - would you have gone for it?  I understand being furious at being fucked over (I've been there), but fundamentally, if you remove that from the equation, is what you have now something you would have chosen if it was a blank slate?  If so, then think of this in precisely that way - that this is a choice you're making.

Finally, how sure are you that standing your ground will result in negative consequences?  I've seen the stuff you're worried about, but I've also seen NHS HR managers try and bluff their way through this sort of shit, especially when they know they're in the wrong, in the hope that you'll blink first.  Sometimes it simply takes a few gentle prods and reminding of employment law to see them backtrack in a hurry - an informal chat with your Union rep might give you an idea of where you stand.  (Unfortunately, the question also boils down to how supportive is your boss, and how indispensable do they find you?)

In any case, sorry they're being such bastards.
  • Whilst it's a difficult situation, it sounds like they have utterly failed to follow the process. Which I suspect means if your union rep had a chat with HR about it (so not even formal grievance proceedings) I suspect that they will cave instantly.

If all you're asking for is your evaluation, and not that it be approved because they fucked up I can't see there being any backlash. The rules were seriously breached here, and all you are asking for is process to be followed.
  • It seems like you'll be a victim of the system either way. Financial commitments tend to trap people when it comes to things like this, so unless you can cut down on those significantly then the risks are obviously very real. Making it very difficult to do the right thing is kinda how it all works.

If you do decide to take a stand, I really hope it works out for you.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Sorry for your troubles bud.

If you think you'll be managed out then tread carefully, you're the main breadwinner and pride doesn't pay the mortgage. Others may tell you take the grievence all the way but is it a risk worth taking?

Look for another job is my advice, it will knaw your insides if you feel that strongly.
    On a positive note, the extra work you've managed would look good on a C.V.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I think you can ignore this bit Grem.
    Gremill wrote:
    I am acutely aware that I am in a quite privileged position – I am paid well for what I do, I have a lot of flexibility in my job that enables me to do things like work from home, pick the kids up from school and so on.
    If you work for the NHS you've already taken a hit compared to an equivalent private sector income in exchange for better working conditions (for admin / management roles) and a better pension. You don't owe anyone anything for this. 

Other than that, just what Tin says. Try and find a softly-softly way of pursuing this without pissing people off and maybe a few gentle nods towards what the actual law is on this.
  • Feeling pretty negged by work today. I am part of a small start up business (I was the third person to start, we are now 14 strong within a year) and its currently going through its first proper restructure in terms of hierarchy moving forward for the business, which is all well and good as it certainly needed it. Its also a weird time as we are currently steering the business in a completely different direction - i'm talking complete name change, a reshift in focus, new offices etc. Its all something I've been heavily involved with, i've single handedly rebranded the company and heavily advised as its something I've had past experience in.

So this morning I was called in by my boss, he advised that he has appointed 4 senior positions and that I wasn't one of them. I think his general aim here was to advise me that, despite the changes, my role would still mean I have full creative control of the business just not in its key decisions. Now when he said this, it didn't bother me, a job title is a job title to me, I love what I do. But then when it was announced to the rest of the team, out popped the pyramid of positions, I'm alongside the newer members and there are some questionable decisions made on who he had picked. As a result, today has felt completely different, lots of manager meetings, a job I would normally be involved with was given to someone else... etc. Its mad that the now 2nd in command was messaging me about how he was thinking of leaving 2 weeks ago because he was on the same money as new starters! 

For me, its just felt like a massive kick in the teeth... my motivation feels like it has gone, I've got no sense of progression, no review in salary... just feels shitty. Sorry to vent, I'm sure I'll feel better about it all tomorrow.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    do a shit in the bosses kettle
  • Gamermike wrote:
    For me, its just felt like a massive kick in the teeth... my motivation feels like it has gone, I've got no sense of progression, no review in salary... just feels shitty. Sorry to vent, I'm sure I'll feel better about it all tomorrow.
    Why? That sounds proper shitty. You should remind them what you've done and how long you've been there and tell them you expect a bit more IMO.
  • In all honesty, I think he’s doing this to try and keep everyone happy. Unfortunately hes chosen people that are going to make wrong decisions and my position means the only decisions I have are creative/brand ones. It’s a young team and i hate to come across as a know it all but it’s the general lack of experience that really concerns me.

I’ve got a chat with someone I freelance for who wants me in house full time. Will see how that goes and go from there.
  • Barely 48 hours back from finishing my holiday in Canada, back in the office today and first thing I find out is that in 2 weeks I'm being sent on a work trip to... Montreal. First big work jaunt I've been away on, exciting stuff.
  • Heh. At least you know how the flights will go.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Up and then back down?
  • And through time, as my current jetlag will back up.
  • That is quite some coincidence, Kaz. Developing a taste for ice hockey yet?
  • Any sport where they players don full suits of armour and punch the daylights out of each other is alright in my book (though the San Jose Sharks are my favourite squadron). Also fully sold on baseball now after catching a game in Toronto. Go Jays!
  • I encourage any visitors to the states (Toronto as well) to catch a baseball game. I've been to two now and loved both, such a great atmosphere.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yeah the Jays are great. Cool stadium too.
    I got my free Canadian baseball too.
    Shame they lost 14-0 when we saw them
  • Ah, we got to see them win in a 5-4 thriller. On the free baseball, did you make a catch?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've been to a baseball match. Lovely atmosphere but fuck me the game is dull
  • Guess who won sports day? This guy won sports day.

I am the sack race king.
  • More drama at my place today... when my boss called someone in to a room to sack them (without any prior warning), proceeds to tell them they are sacked after a really difficult decision and sleepless night etc... then when threatened with unfair dismissal (which it definitely would be), backtracks and keeps them on... its been a very weird couple of weeks lol.
  • That is really fucked up.
    I would advise your colleague to speak to someone (citizens advice maybe).
    How are they suppose to work in that environment now?
    Crazy how many people have that level of authority and are utterly clueless.
  • Depends how ‘clever’  the boss thinks they’re being. Making someone that uncomfortable in their position will usually start them looking to leave voluntarily, saving the company any redundancy payout.

Which is a real dick move from an employer, but happens a lot in small/medium size businesses.
  • Ah fuck me sideways, for the first month since I started at this job i’m on minimum hours in July.

Gonna need to do my best houseplant impression.

Actually I've just clocked I've been done in. A colleague of mine left, so I was supposed to be taking on his ours. We didn't formalise a contract in cast this PGDE means I can't work those extra hours in August. If I get the PGDE that is. Apparently there isn't enough work to justify me being in, which in fairness is probably true, although it's always impossible to gauge. I always feel like I am in purgatory with this job. I've let it become a crutch, but it's a crutch that if I get on on the PGDE, will be ridiculously helpful. But right now it means I've been paid £930, and next month I'll be getting paid £330. So it's going to be a fucking boring month.
  • FeelsBadMan

Hang in there bro, as empty a platitude as that sounds.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I specifically remember pointing out to my boss that taking those hours would literally double my income and cover my outgoings and that it seemed like an ideal situation. This fucking situation I've got my self stuck in sucks. I need something better, but I don't know what I am working more than a month in advance so I can't plan for anything.
  • The curse of zero hours contracts and casual labour. There’s a lot of people in your situation Temps, and it sucks.

Think of it as a gaming and sitting in the park month. Activities which don’t require spending.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!