Work - The pros and the cons...
  • First day today. Waiting in reception presently. Here’s hoping for a good atmosphere from the start.

You got this Nick. 

o/
  • Remember not to punch anyone, or shit in any kettles.

Unless you really have to.
  • serious though I've had about 15 returns on that parasol how is it ALSO DID YOU BUY THE PARASOL WEIGHT SEPARATELY

You mean the rip off ones that aren't mentioned on the parasol page but that you need in order to stop it collapsing and killing you?  Yes, we bought those too.  They don't fit very well.
  • DS ONNA UPSELL TIP MVP BOIIII
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • G'luck Nick.

Interviewing people today, jesus cvs are boring.
    Can-of-sprite
  • I always ask then what their favourite film and why at the end, if nothing else to make it not a snoozefest.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Also smash it young master Nick.
  • Ask them what their favourite dinosaur is. Whatever the answer is, look at them in surprise and say "Really? That's... interesting." and then proceed to write in silence for a good minute or two.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I always ask then what their favourite film and why at the end, if nothing else to make it not a snoozefest.

I would genuinely be quite annoyed by that question in an interview.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Because it likely has no bearing whatsoever on the job that the interview is for and I’d struggle to answer it.
  • It's Clueless Yoss, don't try and deny it.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Because it likely has no bearing whatsoever on the job that the interview is for and I’d struggle to answer it.

True, but it's quite good to see how people react to being thrown a curveball. I don't count it for or against a candidate but people have all sorts of different favourite films for all sorts of reasons, and it quite often gets people to talk about something they are passionate about as most people have a favourite film for a reason.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d suggest that it’s possible to get people talking about something they’re passionate about in a more inclusive way, maybe by asking them about something they’re passionate about and why.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Guardian reader in me wants to make the argument that 'favourite film' is slightly ableist.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • If someone couldn't answer a basic, non-important question like what their favourite film was I wouldn't hire them.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’d suggest that it’s possible to get people talking about something they’re passionate about in a more inclusive way, maybe by asking them about something they’re passionate about and why.
    This sounds like something that people will be prepped for though. The "tell us about yourself" category. If you're going down that route, you'd probably need to catch them off guard a bit.
  • If someone couldn't answer a basic, non-important question like what their favourite film was I wouldn't hire them.
    Yoss refused to answer this question at the Guardian interview on the grounds of its inherent lack of inclusivity and possible discriminatory aspects. It was the right answer, they snapped him up.
  • I'm not sure I'm allowed to factor it in. Unless they were applying for some kind of public facing/speaking rule but we don't really have those so dunno, would defer to the HR manager.

Luckily everyone so far has responded well to the question, a few of them said it was nice to get asked
    something just a little bit different when they're in that interview grind applying for jobs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    This sounds like something that people will be prepped for though. The "tell us about yourself" category. If you're going down that route, you'd probably need to catch them off guard a bit.

Then a general chat about likes and hobbies before asking something more specific based on that. It’s not too tough.
  • To be honest mate, speaking as someone who is quiet at first in new situations and kind of terrible at social stuff, I'm like the world's gentlest interviewer as I know how much I hate interviews. You'd be aight with me bro even with the movie question out of left field. I am like the least intimidating person of all time.
  • "Tell me your favourite film motherfucker".
  • Roujin wrote:
    To be honest mate, speaking as someone who is quiet at first in new situations and kind of terrible at social stuff, I'm like the world's gentlest interviewer as I know how much I hate interviews. You'd be aight with me bro even with the movie question out of left field. I am like the least intimidating person of all time.

have you stopped wearing the duster?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    To be honest mate, speaking as someone who is quiet at first in new situations and kind of terrible at social stuff, I'm like the world's gentlest interviewer as I know how much I hate interviews. You'd be aight with me bro even with the movie question out of left field. I am like the least intimidating person of all time.

Yeah went to the charity shop. Fuck knows what I was doing with that.

• Roujin wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Roujin wrote:

Yeah went to the charity shop. Fuck knows what I was doing with that.

It was clearly a cry for help lmao
  • Submitted UCAS and direct application for my PGDE, plus my SAAS financing stuff.

Heck, maybe this one will stick.
  • Good luck!
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!