Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Djornson wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    The main issue is the council is merging with three other councils and it's unclear what will happen when it does.
    This seems like an absolutely giant red flag to me, particularly for a sideways move.

The merge will begin in 12 months time. So i would be through probation before it even begins and it could be a 3 year process. But still, i think i agree.

p.s. - i should have been more specific the first time and thanks all for replies

I worked at H&F when it ‘merged’ with Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea. Was all good, until the local election happened and H&F swung to Labour - meaning there was no longer 3 Tory councils in the partnership. Shortly after, H&F declared its intentions to split and it all went to shit. No money to fund services, and not enough resources, as all the savings had been taken out when the ‘merger’ happened.

I’d say if you’re going to council which has always been one party and will always be one party - and it is sharing services with the same set up elsewhere, then fine. But if there’s any doubt about what the outcome of a future local election may be, be prepared for a rough ride.

Worth noting also that your pension will be better partly because you’ll pay more into it too - making you worse off again in the short term.

• I currently pay 5% pension myself. Current employer pays 3%. Council would pay 14% and i'd still pay 5%

All the councils being merged are won easily by tories (much to my dismay) every time

Thank you.
  • How the fuck do people work with a single monitor?
  • I used to wonder the same thing, but nowadays I do work with just one screen. It’s a fucking big screen, mind. Huge resolution, plenty of space for separating tools/windows/etc.
  • I can work with a big, high res screen but prefer the physical divide two screen gives.
    One monitor for main working the other for literally everything else.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I can work with a big, high res screen but prefer the physical divide two screen gives.
    One monitor for main working the other for literally everything else.

Don't you find the camhos screechy voices distracting? I do

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • How the fuck do people work with a single monitor?

I always worked with just a 21" iMac for years, never thought of it as an issue. I now have a new Macbook pro and two 1440 x 2560  screens and can't imagine going back. It also means I spend a lot more time here though, so it's not necessarily a productive boost.

I also have one portrait now and I don't care what people think.
  • I'm pulling data from our system and inputting it into a spreadsheet. On a 15" monitor.

If I was at my desk in Preston, I could be doing this on 2 monitors, and there wouldn't be 2 hours travel time.
  • HNNNNNGGH

My job winds me up so much. Reaching my limits with them.

As I mentioned previously they hired a new part timer to make up for a full timer leaving. I thought that would be fine, as I was getting lots of overtime. Now my rota for June has me doing no extra hours. I called my mamanger and said pretty plainly that I need 16hrs minimum - if I do this Masters in September I will not be able to get by on less. I already do 8 hrs over the weekend (plus the bar) and the Masters would leave me with two days a week free, easy to get an 8 hr shift in without issue. My manager basically said she can't guarantee it, and it would have been better if I'd made this clear 4 weeks ago - I make it clear every fucking month.

I've worked there 2 years now, if they didn't pay so well i'd have left long ago but now I just can't stomach getting fucked over.
  • Suspended someone for the first time today.

I've never felt so powerful/sad.

EDIT: Seems a bit light. It wasn't very fun.
  • I get to wield the bam hammer at work, feels good smiting racists.
  • Djornson wrote:
    I currently pay 5% pension myself. Current employer pays 3%. Council would pay 14% and i'd still pay 5%

All the councils being merged are won easily by tories (much to my dismay) every time

Thank you.

I was in the opposite position last year. Looked at moving sideways but I'd have lost my local authority pension. Public sector is going private sector in ethos all over, but the pension is a serious bonus.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I get to wield the bam hammer at work, feels good smiting racists.

NMD is Tony Hall
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • nick_md wrote:
    I get to wield the bam hammer at work, feels good smiting racists.

So YOU fired Danny Baker!!
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Spoke to the Doc. Permanent non-voice note from him. Never have to deal with cunts via the phone at work again, fucking get in.
  • Spoke to the Doc. Permanent non-voice note from him. Never have to deal with cunts via the phone at work again, fucking get in.

I need to switch doctors, keep seeing other folk getting banging sick lines. Had a guy in my work get signed off for a month, because he was tired all the time. Not making it up, that's what the doc had written as the reason.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'd defo recommend trying to see a different Doc. Im lucky in that I've been at my surgery since I was 2, my current Doc's dad was my previous Doc. He basically gives me any note I ask for.

• I'd defo recommend trying to see a different Doc. Im lucky in that I've been at my surgery since I was 2, my current Doc's dad was my previous Doc. He basically gives me any note I ask for.

Your doctors a dick
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    He's fucking great.
  • I don't agree with doctors writing bullshit excuses for people to get out of work, back in my day we did things properly, I once was so desperate to get out of work, I broke my own hand under a table.

Not only did I get out of work, but I also learned a valuable lesson about why it's preferable to not break your own hand under a table.
  • Nah. He is part of the problem. Someone has a legit health issue, no problem. Doctors who just give out whatever cause unnecessary grief to employers, fellow staff and help fuel insurance issues. They are put in a position of huge responsibility, they shouldn't abuse it
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I had a breakdown in work about 7 weeks ago due to the stress caused by essentially being called worthless and a cunt for 18 months straight via phone. The 'gives me any note I ask for' was essentially my surprise at him okaying long term/permanent email only work. He's a fucking good doctor.
  • I've no issue if someone needs help in getting time off. The way I read your original comment was that he would happily dole out sicknotes if asked (not uncommon in Dublin)
    SFV - reddave360
  • I had a breakdown in work about 7 weeks ago due to the stress caused by essentially being called worthless and a cunt for 18 months straight via phone.

Can I give your doctor's number to the Indian call center scammers who phoned me four times yesterday?

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I currently pay 5% pension myself. Current employer pays 3%. Council would pay 14% and i'd still pay 5% All the councils being merged are won easily by tories (much to my dismay) every time Thank you.
    I was in the opposite position last year. Looked at moving sideways but I'd have lost my local authority pension. Public sector is going private sector in ethos all over, but the pension is a serious bonus.

Thanks. I've told my work the situation and said i haven't quite decided but it highlights how bad their pension contributions are. They said they will consider counter offer and also said that they are looking to retire. Either they sell or they promote others. If the latter, I am a possible candidate to take on some of their responsibility. Could be bullshit but in this case i believe them. I'm still in two minds a little. I think a move would be good for me and my career but this merge of the councils is bothering me so much. It could well be fine because my job specifically will be needed to help the merge but i can't stop seeing myself as an easy target to make redundant during a restructure by somebody who doesn't actually look at the job/person, just the numbers.

I think it's too much of a red flag and seeing as i am kind of happy at work just want more of a challenge i should be looking at pushing myself into a higher position, not a sideways move.
  • Have just managed to send a message expressing a fair whack of frustration at something I'm having to do for my work straight into my work WhatsApp group because I'm a dunce, FML.
  • Maybe your forthright approach will yield results.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or, ring the office, tell them your phone has been nicked, then take the opportunity to get a few more things off your chest.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Or, ring the office, tell them your phone has been nicked, then take the opportunity to get a few more things off your chest.

take the opportunity to get a few more things off your chest.

tell them your phone has been nicked, then 

Honestly better in that order
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Please listen and follow these instructions because this is important.

"irrelevant bullshit"

Here is the answer to your irrelevant bullshit, now have you done the thing I asked you to.

"No I didn't even look at it and I've gone past it"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!