Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Occasional whiffs of a bad smell at work these last 2 days - thought it was some kind of bodily hygiene thing from someone and so didn't mention anything at first. I guess we're all too polite to point out dodgy niffs... Now the smell is also in the next room and so it must be a dead mouse or rat in the wall. Having had the cats hide a dead mouse before, I'm expecting a fly infestation any time soon.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Either a dead rat or Milton needs to clean the basement.

Yeah...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Been fairly quiet on the work front for me recently. My boss is going to look into altering my shift patterns, so I can have more regular hours, which will hopefully lead to me being able to have set days to see my boy.

Jobhunting wise, couple of things on the horizon. Was in the process of applying for a management job in a museum that's currently being refurbished. I missed the closing date, but after a few emails, they accepted my application and submitted it, waiting to hear back.

Few months ago, a regional engineer job in cineworld was posted internally. Went for it, the head of technical said he was up for giving me it, but I'd have to relocate down south. Obviously I couldn't, because of junior. But he said he'd have another one coming up up soon, closer to home. That went up last week, he's got my application and will phone after the closing date.

Then, t'other day, got an email thanking me for applying for the role of Centre operations manager in the savoy center in Glasgow. I have no recollection of applying for that job. But, got the first interview Tuesday, then potentially a second on on Thursday. It's a 5k jump over what I'm on just now, and dayshift. Says any 5 from 7, 1 of which must be a Saturday. Which I'm baffled by, i know that place fairly well, and it dies on it's arse around 2pm on a Saturday, or whenever the bakers runs out of hot food.

They haven't asked for anything in advance of the interview, but experience makes me think they'll want a swot report for the second one. I'm doing that now, with the intention of taking it to the interview on Tuesday. Good idea or dick move?
  • Tbh, I'm amazed it's still open.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • So was I. The bottom floors been renovated, turned mainly into something called COLAB. From what I can gather, it's a community pop up type place, art exhibits, boutique hipster type places. There was some kick off between the pre existing shop holders and the centre owner, as they were mostly all relocated upstairs. Then of course there's the suave sav, it still draws the punters in (never been myself, don't intend to).

I'm sure the old bhs on sauchiehall street is getting redeveloped, either into a hotel or student accommodation, there seems to be some big regeneration project in the pipeline for the sauchiehall area in general, so I'm guessing they're after someone to try and capitalise on that. Obviously I work in one of the biggest businesses nearby, so I'll wager that's what they saw in my c.v. Fuckit, worth a punt I suppose.
  • Interview went well I think, before I'd walked back to my work they'd left a voicemail asking me back on Thursday to meet their client. Updates to follow.
  • I had a walk round the Savoy yesterday out of curiosity. Wouldn't take a job there for all the money mate. Place is dying on it's arse. Must be at least 50% empty.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Or 50% full, if you're an optimist.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    G an optimist?

Lollers.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Old Aged Pessimist
  • Yossarian wrote:
    G an optimist? Lollers.
    Yeah, not G, obviously. If *one* is an optimist.
  • g.man wrote:
    I had a walk round the Savoy yesterday out of curiosity. Wouldn't take a job there for all the money mate. Place is dying on it's arse. Must be at least 50% empty.

That's why they're recruiting. They were pretty honest with me about it, I'll see what they say on Thursday. Apparently the new owners have committed a huge budget to pull it back. not pinning all my hopes on it.
  • New guy at work has been angling for my job, doing the social media for my work place. I think he's been quite devious about it. He"s been sending the boss ideas and templates, and talking of how he can do a better job than me to people behind my back. to be fair it's probably true, as im not very good at my job at all, but I do try my best, and his efforts to undermine me are fucking annoying. 

Anyway, today he went to one of the senior managers with a proposal. He had built an alternative Instagram profile to the one I had been working on, with more flashy graphics and use of photoshop etc. He told the more senior member of staff that if he wasn't given more responsibility and input into the social media then he would be looking for a new job. Senior manager told him to get fucked and find a new job then. This really brightened my day
  • Ahaha, I was reading through that getting progressively more pissed off, and then we got to the end, thats fucking gold.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup, strong ending
  • Hate people like that. Get fucked.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Read first paragraph and thought chin him, shows your commitment to your role

Read second paragraph, chuckled, thought chin him anyway, sly bastard
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I hate that sort of aggressive competitiveness. Sad that it's standard practice in some workplaces. Glad he got the elbow.

I have to admit I poached the website dev work off a previous colleague, but I was better at design work and he didn't mind delegating it anyway. I wish some of the assistants at work would show some drive - we've made cutbacks in mid to senior staff and I'm overloaded. Trouble is, they're almost totally lacking initiative.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Ahaha, I was reading through that getting progressively more pissed off, and then we got to the end, thats fucking gold.

Everyone loves a happy ending. I hope not smirks everytime they meet, and sends him a LinkedIn inv when he leaves

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • One of my big clients has been told from the top they are putting a hard cap on freelancers.
    Someone has seen the outgoing money and shat a brick I think. It is hardly suprising, I do a lot of work for them but there are people freelancing for them who are part of the furniture.

Anyway, they have far too much work for it to go on too long, I suspect I will get nothing out of them for a month and it will be utter chaos in their studio, then they will be back.

Still, time to source a few new clients I think, although while searching I came across a job at Aston Martin. Permy which isn't ideal but fuck it, it is Aston Martin and at their place near me.

If anyone wants some 3D visuals of furniture or rooms or products or shit let me know.
  • I want hundreds of hours of work from you, which will give you lots of exposure.
  • I want hundreds of hours of work from you, which will give you lots of exposure.

Ha ha
    SFV - reddave360
    I've just spoken to the bank, they would be delighted to accept exposure in lieu of mortgage payments.
  • Had the second interview for the savoy job. Fuck knows how it'll go, it's between me and 1 other guy, so a coin toss. Fully expecting them to offer it to the other guy, should know by tomorrow apparently.
  • Best of luck mate.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Had the second interview for the savoy job. Fuck knows how it'll go, it's between me and 1 other guy, so a coin toss. Fully expecting them to offer it to the other guy, should know by tomorrow apparently.

Push him off the roof.

• LivDiv wrote:
    One of my big clients has been told from the top they are putting a hard cap on freelancers.
    Someone has seen the outgoing money and shat a brick I think. It is hardly suprising, I do a lot of work for them but there are people freelancing for them who are part of the furniture.

Anyway, they have far too much work for it to go on too long, I suspect I will get nothing out of them for a month and it will be utter chaos in their studio, then they will be back.

Still, time to source a few new clients I think, although while searching I came across a job at Aston Martin. Permy which isn't ideal but fuck it, it is Aston Martin and at their place near me.

If anyone wants some 3D visuals of furniture or rooms or products or shit let me know.

Could you do me a tender of the furniture in Delotta Brown's bedroom please, asking for a friend

• Can do, but will need some industrial reinforcements for that rack.
  • Make it yellow, and green. Also I want a leopard skin rug

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!