Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Yeah, that’s a big part of it. But it’s also specific strategies related to social media. E.g posting dev updates and interviews on a regular basis on social media / developer spotlights / departmental deepdives etc. The part of the company I’d be working for aren’t developing anything - they’ve created a knowledge sharing development platform for Chinese and foreign devs with the idea of selecting the cream and supporting them with financial aid / promotion etc. So it’s all about getting that platform well known on the western side, and trying to build collaborations, build relationships with influencers / knowledge leaders and shit.

Best suggestion I’ve got is to look at slightly different industries and see how they do it. What can you borrow, change slightly to suit your niche, and roll with? Call it cross-fertilisation of proven strategies, or some shit.
  • I seem to recall Double Fine did that cool doc with 2 Player Productions, which went through some of the troubles etc from their kickstarter project Broken Age.

I loved watching Supergiant's videos on Giant Bomb as they were making Bastion, plus I have some random 'making of' dvd promos from some games- metal gear 4, resi 4 etc.

So yeah, docs maybe?
  • Aye - had similar thoughts. Good shouts, thanks.
  • Maybe try and reach out to Chris Thursten, he’s covered a lot of Chinese shame conference stuff over the years and I suspect he knows how it works quite well. Don’t know how easy he will be to get a hold of for any real info but it might be worth a shout?
  • Chinese shame conference best Freudian slip.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Aye, I’ll do the presentation stuff and try my best. If anyone has any great ideas about how to promote / build awareness of a game development initiative and establish contacts / build relationships around the world I’d love to hear them.

Maybe go at it with a plan for a plan. Rather than go into specifics talk about the process you would like to implement in order to determine what the specifics should be. Have a list of questions you would need them to answer; who are the target audiences they would be looking to promote to? What are the objectives they would be looking to achieve with the audiences?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My work hours have normally been 7-5 pm every day but at present they're up to 7-7, which equates to 60 hour weeks. I know so many other professions have similar, but I'm also now doing emails at home for 2-3 hours at the weekend. I know I'll get the teacher holiday shit (mind it's unpaid) but does anyone have any advice for being better to myself . Maybe it is just this time of year.
  • What would happen if you said you didn’t want to work more than 40?

Sorry I know this doesn’t help but I’m curious
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I wouldn't get my job done.

I'm a promoted member of staff so obviously the expectations are different but all I would be doing in my current field is creating more problems for myself down the line.

It's better to call a parent at 5:30pm about a wee incident that happened during the day than let the kid go home and tell an exaggerated version of it and then get the voice of wrath at 8am.
  • Is there anything you can do with the emails using templates and automation to make the load a *little* lighter?
  • Do you really need to be in at 7?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Can you delegate Reg? If your job is half again, can you push for additional support staff? Not sure of the constraints but if you can draft a PD that doesn't just fill the gap you're currently filling but allows for new shit to be done and improved could it fly?

Also you can always trim around the edges, non-essential that can wait a few days and so on. Can't please everyone and you'll die trying.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    In other news despite me despising the whole shitshow I've thrown in for a promo, mainly as it will give me a seniority boost which should allay concern about all the major leadership shit I am doing as well you need a professor on that innit. Sigh.

A small plus is neklevel caps out at $135k Oz so about 10 pound a year, more than I need so it's off to support worthy causes for Xmas.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Can you delegate Reg? If your job is half again, can you push for additional support staff?

Reg he's saying you've to hire me as an assistant. I'll take payment in SPFL winners medals.
  • It wont help pay the bills but you are a saint Reg, you and every other teacher that puts in that effort.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's settled, Gav is HalfReg at twice the height.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    My work hours have normally been 7-5 pm every day but at present they're up to 7-7, which equates to 60 hour weeks. I know so many other professions have similar, but I'm also now doing emails at home for 2-3 hours at the weekend. I know I'll get the teacher holiday shit (mind it's unpaid) but does anyone have any advice for being better to myself . Maybe it is just this time of year.

One thing I did when I was balls busy in the past was set alarms on my phone for intervals of “me” time. Like, I wouldn’t set it for mid-class periods but I would make sure every 2 hours or so while I was working an alarm would go off and I would give myself 15-20 minutes of time to kick back, read etc.

It worked for me since it didn’t make me finish my work much later than expected but also gave me the advantage of not having to be “at work” all the time. Maybe try and see if you can fit some small, regularish periods of downtime during a normal working day.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Key thing is to realise your current working pattern is unsustainable, so something has to change or an unhappy ending will be looming in one form or another (you quitting, getting time off for stress, quality of your work dropping, ... - alongside obvious worsening if wellbeing). So you're asking the right question.

With that realisation, you have to be doing less work, or doing it "smarter" (much though I dislike that phrase).

On the first of the, be open with your bosses that there's a problem here and while you're doing your best it may be there's a genuine big problem here that you can't solve solo. That they need to find my resource or there will be serious repercussions down the line of one form or another. That may be an impossible request in a climate of austerity, but they need to know it's where things are at, plus airing stuff like this will feel like a weight off you.

On the second, I recommend a read of Getting Things Done by David Allen. Can post you a copy. Make very explicit decisions about what you really need to do. Don't just do everything because you feel you ought to. Look for alternate ways to handle.

Sounds shit all in all though, particularly when everything you're doing is useful. You need to find belief that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and somehow plot a tie towards it. It's fucking shit though in the meantime :-(.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    On the first of the, be open with your bosses that there's a problem here and while you're doing your best it may be there's a genuine big problem here that you can't solve solo. That they need to find my resource or there will be serious repercussions down the line of one form or another. That may be an impossible request in a climate of austerity, but they need to know it's where things are at, plus airing stuff like this will feel like a weight off you.

Good advice here. One small thing I would add: it’s worth raising this via email in the first instance.

Hopefully it will never reach the point where you need proof of having shared your concerns about your workload, but just in case it does, having it in writing will be very helpful.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So in interesting news since I posted that , we have now hit our capacity cap for caseloads and a 5th Pupil Support Leader has to now be hired. Basically it was that or we would go up to deputy head salaries, which doesn't work out in the maths as it would make me richer than astronauts.

In the meantime we are still doing these wild days but I'm hopeful come August something will give. The big problem with the job is the easiness comes when I have built up relationships with parents and carers, and often that is through a lot of meetings and phone calls. So if I went automated I'd probably power through a lot but it would be a lot tougher mentally.

I have a weird job.
  • No that makes sense. You absolutely have to apply than human touch. Fair play.

Hope it eases up. You're in the final furlong.
  • Astronauts don’t earn that much.

Source; failed astronaut
  • Argh why won't the fucking business banking website work!?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Astronauts don’t earn that much. Source; failed astronaut

Top end of the NASA scale is $100K.

You don't get to make any travel expense claims though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    failed astronaut

This should be your Tinder tag

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Elmlea wrote:
    failed astronaut
    This should be your Tinder tag

I did mention it in my online dating profile that netted me my wife.  Made it to the final round of ESA selection!
  • I don't doubt it m8. I bet you that was like +18 to swipe right
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • So, the work plot thickens. 

The PPT I made to make up for my abysmal interview managed to sway things back in my favour, and the manager I was talking to sent me a message this morning asking for a video chat. 

As I mentioned before, I would be working for a company that was doing contract work for a big player in China. So, they'd employ me, and I would actually work in the offices of the client. But I had a chat with the manager today and she wants me to fly there on Friday for an interview for an official in-house position. I'll have to see the department head who's apparently super hard to please and, to be honest, I won't be able to dedicate as much time as I would like to preparation simply due to the fact I will have my HSK test on Sunday, so I absolutely have to prepare for that first. But, pass or fail, I'll have a job with someone.

So, if I fail that interview she'll give me a job via the contractor. If I pass, I'll be in-house.

It doesn't solve the VISA issue - there's every chance I get the job but fail to get a VISA. But, it's a start.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!