Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Sounds like things are looking up. Good to hear.
  • Aye, it's something. I'll just see where it leads. 

Slightly worried about timing, tbh. It means that if I can't get a work visa I won't have time to switch to another student one as I expect most unis will be on hols by that time, but there's nowt I can do about that. I'll just have to cross my fingers.
  • You are going to pass that test bud, I feel it. Make that the priority, go into the interview caring less, and you will get that job anyway.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    First interview in three months, I've been such a lazy shit. It's research time, crash course in underwriting business models and data requirements. Roll on Friday, do I take the interviewers for a beer afterwards??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, you crack open a couple of tinnies at the start of the interview. Make sure they’re cold, it shows that you’re organised.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is gonna sound so wanky and I genuinely don't mean it to be this way as I want professional advice.

Tomorrow I'm going in for surgery. I'll be out until at least Monday. Now, I've set my out of inbox message for that.

But over Saturday and Sunday, although I might not be able to stand up, I can probably do emails.

Do I do emails, and clear the decks, because I can, or clean break and then backlog for Monday?

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Normally, I’d say clean break, but then with the hours you’re currently doing, reducing your workload for Monday might not be such a bad call.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think that might be right. Maybe schedule 30-45 mins each day for email checks.
  • I'd do some offline filtering and prioritising, as that is barely work at all - unless you get a real stinker sent to you. Don't reply to anything until you are officially back though and in the worst case, just draft replies if you feel up to it and send them on Monday.

Hope it goes well.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thanks sylph
  • cockbeard wrote:
    First interview in three months, I've been such a lazy shit. It's research time, crash course in underwriting business models and data requirements. Roll on Friday, do I take the interviewers for a beer afterwards??

Don't forget to not shower for a few days before hand, eat a kebab with loads of onions and garlic just before the interview. Stick your feet on the desk and when asked why you want the job, reply with .. "cause I'm a fucking superstar"..
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Thanks sylph

sylph
    /sɪlf/

noun
    1. an imaginary spirit of the air.
    2. a mainly dark green and blue hummingbird, the male of which has a long forked tail.

You learn something new everyday.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ooh good point Dino, probably extra points for wearing Ltd edition Superstars, will do, UNDFTD*BAPE or NBHD??

Time off is time off Reg, but I always keep my eye on my inbox even when the out of office is on, don't feel obligated to respond to anything but if you see something where five minutes now will save you five hours later then reply accordingly. Be sure not to reply to all and make it clear that you're not at work, else folk will just reply and start expecting responses
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I think that might be right. Maybe schedule 30-45 mins each day for email checks.

No, don't so that, just stay moderately aware, scheduling work time is the same as working, not what you're supposed to do
  • See how you feel Reg but don't put pressure on yourself and don't tell anyone else at work that you will/might check emails.

Normally I would say putting a dent in your workload on Monday might be a good idea but from the sounds of things your work load is undentable at the moment.

Adamantium work load.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This is gonna sound so wanky and I genuinely don't mean it to be this way as I want professional advice. Tomorrow I'm going in for surgery. I'll be out until at least Monday. Now, I've set my out of inbox message for that. But over Saturday and Sunday, although I might not be able to stand up, I can probably do emails. Do I do emails, and clear the decks, because I can, or clean break and then backlog for Monday?

You do what works best for you.  If you need to recuperate and recover, you do that, and forget emails until next week.  If you feel up to it, tackle some and reduce the workload for next week.

I'll come and help if you need someone to make dinner and stuff...!!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Does stuff include answering emails?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Does stuff include answering emails?

Yep
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm literally sitting in wagamama (fancy) with my wife answering emails before we train through to Glasgow.
  • Your work life balance is properly fucked and while I salute your attitude so hard I cleave my skull in two it doesn't sound sustainable.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Your work life balance is properly fucked and while I salute your attitude so hard I cleave my skull in two it doesn't sound sustainable.

Speaking from my own experience I can only second that. Not only is your home life suffering, I can near guarantee you that you aren't doing as good a job as you would be if you have yourself a cut off point. There will always be one or two incidents that carry over from time to time but they must be the exception.

Clock off when you should. You will be better for having relaxation time. But from my own experience, not working outside of hours also ade me a better worker. I became much more efficient because I couldn't take work home anymore. People will also start to respect your time more when they know you are limiting your availability. You will become, by necessity, more prouductive.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Fuck email. If it's genuinely important they'll know this and find another way.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I'm trying to figure out if I've ever had an important email. Can't think of one.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I got my decree absolute by email. That was good.
  • Fuck all to do with work though.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Do I do emails, and clear the decks, because I can, or clean break and then backlog for Monday?
    Why decide now? Play it by ear.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Dude not good phrasing
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Dude not good phrasing

I’d put money on H giving that a good laugh. Dude likes the cheeky.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hear you, fucking listen. That's not sound at all.
  • Interview done. Sitting in a coffee area while boss ladies chat. Fingers crossed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!