Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I’m in Nottingham supervising the staff at the new vaults. Not quite on the up and up but hey at least it’s sunny here?
  • I'm sitting beside your old vaults and it's nice and sunny here too, so bleh.
  • Yeah I'm looking to get out of here. I've been on rolling 6mth contracts since I started here last January, and since I done my knee and had ten days off (really should've been 4wk according to the physio), I'm back cos my current contract is running out soon and currently I've been given no reassurances or any date as to when I'll have a meeting about it like I usually would. So the uncertainty makes me nervous. And I'm in here walking for a living on a knee that hasn't healed fully and I'm exhausted even on light duties, but I had to come back. I should still get the next 6mth which would mean a permanent contract at the end of it cos they can't do this for more than two years by law. But I'm not earning enough anyway. Time to get an actual salary and security. Don't really care what it is.

Please look after your knee dude.  They're the most shitty joints in the human body, and they need to last; fucking it now won't be good, no matter what the contract is.  Not a lawyer, but surely they can't fail to renew a contract purely based on an injury...?

Are there no NHS positions in your role near there?  All the porters round here seem to be NHS.
  • They'll be wearing NHS clothes/IDs but may well be outsourced. Private Eye did a thing about it a few years ago.  It's not uncommon.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Seems like everyone is on the up. 

Oh don't worry, I'll pop along in a bit when I've written everything up to spoil the overall good feeling...!  I'm wobbling between new roles, career changes, and a downturn in mental health which has me pretty unproductive and fairly useless.  Not sure where to aim or what to do.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    They'll be wearing NHS clothes/IDs but may well be outsourced. Private Eye did a thing about it a few years ago.  It's not uncommon.

I know some are, but there are definitely some on NHS contracts, recruited through the NHS careers site etc.  Probably not many and it may be the old blokes on old contracts, but it might be an option.

Gav should become a CSW; that can lead to roles in phlebotomy among other things, and has that NHS security.
  • Well that's encouraging then.  But as you mentioned earlier the priority really needs to be sorting out the knee issue, and they don't need to cite that as a reason for not renewing his contract.  They can just not renew it.  It's a shitty system.
  • Well funny you say that, the theatre in my hospital are looking for CSW's. Already had their staff tell me when I've been portering for them that I'd be good at it cos I'm really nice to all the patients (common sense tbh). Giving it some thought.
  • And cheers for the words, Elm. <3
  • Don't be afraid to state your interest and ask for help Gav. Lots of people don't, proud men and all, but you will be surprised how much people will want to help you out.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Go for it Gav; CSW then phlebotomist and then there are loads of options available.  You can self-study as a radiographer while being a phlebotomist then you're off, for example.
  • Paramedic? It requires much less training than you’d think. Plus you can now drive so are probably like 80% qualified already.
  • I’d like to sell my business and become a primary school teacher instead. Don’t know how feasible that is really?
  • Plenty of routes into it. Very feasible.
  • Trouble is I actually love what I do now but I also think I’d really love to teach little uns. I could teach during the day and organise gardens during the night?
  • Trouble is I actually love what I do now but I also think I’d really love to teach little uns. I could teach during the day and organise gardens during the night?

Get the little fucks digging hedges and shit. 2 birds, one very cheap stone.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No. You will teach littluns during the day, plan to teach littluns during the evening, assess littlun work and prepare littlun reports for parents in the night and be burnt out within 5 years wheeee
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Teachers finish at half 3 each day so you're into a winner!
  • Or what Skerret said.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Starting my last week in a job I’ve held for twenty-nine and a half years. Feels like standing on the precipice of an abyss, gearing up to jump.
    Get schwifty.
  • I also want to teach little uns. I want to teach them respect. These kids need a bit of a backhand, their parents are too much into smack or love island to slap them around the face.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Starting my last week in a job I’ve held for twenty-nine and a half years. Feels like standing on the precipice of an abyss, gearing up to jump.

Wow, that's a damn long time!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm at 11 years at my current place. What the fuck.
    Raiz they had better salute the shit out of you
  • Dang Raiz. Well done. New job or retirement?
  • They should salute for being able to walk away after 29 and a half years rather than wait until you reached 30 years.  That would drive me mad.
  • I'm sure Raiz posted a few months back about the company shutting down. Have you managed to get a new job before the end?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The only salute I’ll be getting is from myself. Started working for the company when I saw 16, bought the company when I was 22 or 23, have run it ever since.

You’re right, Dante, we’re shutting down because BIG BUSINESS has come swooping in to buy the industrial park where we’re situated, and they just couldn’t wait to get rid us all.

It would be just too damn expensive to find new premises and get everything up and running again now, and I feel like this job has had its pound of flesh out of me. I’m ready to put my feet up in the garden and read a few books, maybe write a book too.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You did it bud. Enjoy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!