Work - The pros and the cons...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Had a phone call from a client yesterday.
    One of his clients wants a shorter edit of a movie I did for them last year. Pretty much just change some details and hack the end off the movie.

A few hours work plus upload, render and general pissing about time, so I agree to do it as a half day for half my day rate. A reasonable compromise especially as this is the client I charge the least.

He just emailed me saying their client want it for 3/5ths of the cost I quoted.

In what other walk of life do people just rock up and ask for 40% off because they dont fancy paying full price?
    I'm a bit quiet right now but they still got a firm no.

Did you read the story about the ice cream vendor in LA? Instagrammers were asking for free icecream in return for them taking a pic of themselves eating said icecream at vendors place therefore free publicity. He got asked by so many instagrammers that he launched and anti instagrammer movement and has signs that say no free icecream I have bills to pay.

Anyway he was also approached by a "famous movie star" p.a. who asked for free ice cream for the entire crew 50+ people and said the movie star would pose for a pic with him outside his premises. His answer was simple, "does a picture with a movie star pay my mortgage and my bills?" The p.a. was pissed and threatened him.

Why do people think they are entitled to free stuff from small businesses?
  • Happens all the time in the restaurant business.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    "does a picture with a movie star pay my mortgage and my bills?"
    Potentially, yes. Companies pay good money for that because of the returns it can bring.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Had a phone call from a client yesterday.
    One of his clients wants a shorter edit of a movie I did for them last year. Pretty much just change some details and hack the end off the movie.

A few hours work plus upload, render and general pissing about time, so I agree to do it as a half day for half my day rate. A reasonable compromise especially as this is the client I charge the least.

He just emailed me saying their client want it for 3/5ths of the cost I quoted.

In what other walk of life do people just rock up and ask for 40% off because they dont fancy paying full price?
    I'm a bit quiet right now but they still got a firm no.

Did you read the story about the ice cream vendor in LA? Instagrammers were asking for free icecream in return for them taking a pic of themselves eating said icecream at vendors place therefore free publicity. He got asked by so many instagrammers that he launched and anti instagrammer movement and has signs that say no free icecream I have bills to pay.

Anyway he was also approached by a "famous movie star" p.a. who asked for free ice cream for the entire crew 50+ people and said the movie star would pose for a pic with him outside his premises. His answer was simple, "does a picture with a movie star pay my mortgage and my bills?" The p.a. was pissed and threatened him.

Why do people think they are entitled to free stuff from small businesses?

https://youtu.be/o8nC1dk-t4w
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • First week under my belt. 
    It's been great, everyone is so lovely. 
    Even had the office summer party on Thursday and I didn't cause a scene and get sacked!

At one point, late in the night, the MD was shouting 'PANTY, PANTYFIIIIIIIRRE. WHOOP' across the bar. 

My colleagues were singing this in the kitchen on Thursday.

I think I've found my people.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Applied for a job at the SFA today. Some will chuckle at the irony there.
  • *chuckle*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ha!

What’s the SFA?
  • Short Fellas Association.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sweaty Fricking Arses
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Short Fellas Association.

hahaha, perfect
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Scottish Football Association, whom yer more traditionalist rangers supporter (not me tbh) would never go near. I just gotta get dat bread yo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair play. Sounds like it’s gotta be better than Serco.

Good luck.
  • What about Sevco though?
  • They’re as bad as each other.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What about Sevco though?

Never heard of them.
  • Edit: sorry bit of just a mind dump

Had to make some big decisions about work recently.
    As mentioned previously in this thread one of my big clients have dropped all freelancers. Another big client has been hit really hard by Brexit as their clients are mostly supermarket based food brands who are stockpiling not developing.

With that in mind I've had to shift focus (hence getting up to speed with some more arch viz in the 3d thread).
    Looking at doing more in that field in London. I've noticed the day rates have plummeted there in the past few years on average I would say what I am seeing being advertised is 30-40% less than when I lived there. Likewise salaries arent even competitive let alone have a London weighting.

I've been looking elsewhere for a while. I dont want to rent again so cant live in London anyway. Bedford is shit.
    I have been contemplating moving north and with these two clients failing off it has kicked me up the arse a bit.
    I had a phone interview with a recruiter who cover my field in the North West and Yorkshire. They loved my work and sounded super positive about finding me some clients, in the rates I was on before in London.
    On Friday I have a face to face interview at a design agency in Leeds, who also have offices in Manchester so looking forward to that.

Hopefully this starts to kick off, propped up with some work off site over the next 6 months and I can make a more permanent move next year. Gonna be fun juggling the dog, travel, mortgage, accommodation but long term should be worth it.
  • Have you considered Dublin?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I havent but a big reason I perhaps wouldnt is that I worry about having too big a gap between where I am and where my parents are as they get older.
  • Move to Preston, and I'll be your lodger.
  • But then I have to live in Preston!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've also been thinking of getting out of Lundin recently but the earlier kissing tempts me to stay, stupid thoughts of future kissing
  • Smoochin' will do that to a man.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Then kiss me goddammit
  • Have you considered Dublin?

@Armitage_Shankburn are you living in Dublin now Gonz?

I'd say dublin has a similar rental problem to what Liv would face in London. Maybe not to the same extent but it's still extortionate.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Have you considered Dublin?

@Armitage_Shankburn are you living in Dublin now Gonz?

I'd say dublin has a similar rental problem to what Liv would face in London. Maybe not to the same extent but it's still extortionate.

It's pretty high alright. If you have a decent take home pay it's not so bad (say 45k per year) but if your in the 20 to 25k bracket it's a bit tight. Its having a huge impact on hiring entry level people as the cost of rental seems to be based on everyone having an income in the mid to higher end of the scale
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah sounds like what I'm trying to get away from.
    Even if I was up at that end of things I would resent so much going to accommodation.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah sounds like what I'm trying to get away from.
    Even if I was up at that end of things I would resent so much going to accommodation.

I bought my house at the high end of the celtic tiger, my mortgage is a sizable chunk lower than most of the rents I'm hearing from my staff.

SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!