Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Tbh even in the midrange and single, it's hard to afford a decent place without sharing with others.
  • I currently own a 2 bed flat in Bedford, 45 minutes into St Pancras, closer than I was when actually living in London so London has remained my major city for work.
    I've been looking at Leeds and without having to go to the shit areas I could break even on a 2 bed semi with garden and off road parking. That's where my mind is at currently it's just making it work financially and hopefully remaining freelance.
  • That sounds like a decent trade. Hope you manage to find the work.
  • Cheers mate.
    Hopefully the interview on Friday will go well.
  • Good luck dude. I take the same Bedford train (from St Albans) and it’s a lot of money on travel where I am, must be more from Bedford. Luckily I don’t need underground or anything extra, I’d rather walk 2/3 miles a day than pay an extra £100+ on top of the already stupid costs per month.

Working in London has started to wear on me a bit as well, if I’m honest. It’s pretty exhausting every day.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I currently own a 2 bed flat in Bedford, 45 minutes into St Pancras, closer than I was when actually living in London so London has remained my major city for work.
    I've been looking at Leeds and without having to go to the shit areas I could break even on a 2 bed semi with garden and off road parking. That's where my mind is at currently it's just making it work financially and hopefully remaining freelance.

Move to Manchester mate
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also good luck at the interview
  • Frosty wrote:
    Have you considered Dublin?

@Armitage_Shankburn are you living in Dublin now Gonz?

I'd say dublin has a similar rental problem to what Liv would face in London. Maybe not to the same extent but it's still extortionate.

He could live out in greystones. I'm just thinking there is a lot of tech and finance work which presumably spills over to contractors.

No I'm in London but the girlie lives and works in Dublin, so I've come to know it. I think brexit will keep inflating the bubble in Dublin.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Frosty wrote:
    Have you considered Dublin?

@Armitage_Shankburn are you living in Dublin now Gonz?

I'd say dublin has a similar rental problem to what Liv would face in London. Maybe not to the same extent but it's still extortionate.

He could live out in greystones. I'm just thinking there is a lot of tech and finance work which presumably spills over to contractors.

No I'm in London but the girlie lives and works in Dublin, so I've come to know it. I think brexit will keep inflating the bubble in Dublin.

That's a possibility alright.

I've a cousin in Greystones, and it is really nice but it's a distance from Dublin. And apart from a lack of living spaces, Dublin is a nightmare at the moment for commutes.

SFV - reddave360
  • Greystones is top craic as well for swingers, which I have a suspicion div could get into if he hasn't already dabbled
  • Dublin is a nightmare for anyone not getting a good salary imo. It is stuck in a catch 22. Its low corporate tax rate attracts inward investment, this results in a massive influx of demand for both high end housing and for lower income housing for those serving the booming economy - but that feeds a massive housing bubble and shortage - you then get Dubliners saying "Dublin is full" when as a Londoner I can tell you it clearly isn't, if there are a dozen people on Smithfield on a Saturday night it's not full - but it lacks infrastructure: housing (particularly for lower end incomes) and transport, which would allow Dublin to serve the booming economy - but Ireland's taxbase is too low to invest - go back to square one.
  • Personally I think once Google and fb HQ expansion is done and brexit has passed, Ireland needs to start sneaking taxes up and break the wheel.
  • Personally I think once Google and fb HQ expansion is done and brexit has passed, Ireland needs to start sneaking taxes up and break the wheel.

That would make sense so it's unlikely to be done. Instead we just keep building up the outskirts. More housing to lucan, tallaght, clonsilla, not enough services for the expanding population and most of the jobs are stuck in the city centre which is hard to get to. Taxis are pricey but late night public transport is non existent despite a healthy late night work force.
    SFV - reddave360
  • @bean
    Yeah it's a fairly pricey train but luckily I'm only paying when working if that makes sense, so my day rate absorbs it, or it used to. Plus I can expense it so I'm saving on tax.

@DS
    I have and am considering Manchester as well, Leeds is front runner though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes yes lad big things if so, get ya drunk and eating hipster kebabs
  • :D
    Even if I end up in Leeds it's a short train ride.
    Early days mind.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    @bean Yeah it's a fairly pricey train but luckily I'm only paying when working if that makes sense, so my day rate absorbs it, or it used to. Plus I can expense it so I'm saving on tax. @DS I have and am considering Manchester as well, Leeds is front runner though.

Chapel Allerton is a great place to think about in Leeds.  It has the best cheesemonger I've ever come across and next door but two the best fishmonger.  Move there and you can send me fish and cheese so i won't have to do the bi-weekly drive.
  • Yeah looked there it seems lovely, a bit out of my price range but saw some places very close by that looked good so I could still send stinky parcels.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    :D
    Even if I end up in Leeds it's a short train ride.
    Early days mind.

If you're basing that off the distance, prepare for disappointment.
  • Oh dont worry, I used to get a Southern train to work when I was in London.
    Turning up I would consider to be a result.
  • So, I've not posted in a while, due to stuff that belongs in the love thread and the mental health thread. But there's been a work development as well.

I'm currently signed off, and got invited to an interview the other day. Retail management, new mobility showroom opening in Glasgow in September. I had to cancel the interview, as I'd got my days mixed up. They were cool though, immediately offered to reschedule to the next day, so I went along. Was In one of the sky boxes at hampden Park, never been there. Coolest venue for an interview I've ever had.

Anyway, it was relaxed, informal, they basically said they were happy my cv was enough for the job, but the company (careco) has a big emphasis on family values and the team etc, so they wanted to get to know me, not my job history. This was on Tuesday.

Today, they phoned and offered me the job. Good news I hear you say. But, it comes with a drop in money. The basic is about 5k less than my current. But, the ote is about 3k more than my current, and they're convinced this store is going to be their flagship, not just in Scotland, but the UK. No targets involved, just commission given per sale, and as manager I get a percentage from the overall store sales as well as my own. Apparently its good living in spring and summer, but it dies off in the winter, so they're the leaner months.

I dunno what to do. Stay where I am, depressed as fuck, shite work life balance but decent wage, or take a punt on something new, I do my own rota, do something a bit more worthwhile, get to establish a routine with Cullen, but potentially lose money? They'd also said they're rapidly expanding and more stores are planned for Scotland, the natural progression would be for me to take a regional support job when that happens.

Hhhhmm. Some pondering to do this weekend.
  • I dunno about short term but with our ageing population, mobility scooters are probably a growth industry in the long run?
  • Maybe tell them you were expecting more, 5k isn't something they'd tell you to 'fuck off' over if they really like you...?

Otherwise I'd think a change in scenery if nothing else is worth it tbh.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It seems like the only big negative factor is the money, and obviously it's difficult to know exactly what that would mean for you. I think it's important to consider how tolerable you'd find it if the OTE and progression don't necessarily pan out. If it's still do-able, just not ideal, in the worst case scenario then it's worth taking seriously as it seems there are a lot of upsides and the only major downside might remedy itself in time.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also I know with me that whilst I often feel that money is tight, I find it rarely matters what I'm paid, the money's always tight more because of me not my earnings. Also if you've managed to sort out all the "extras" you were paying your boy's ma, then maybe the 5k difference wouldn't be that noticeable without that added fluctuating expense
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Maybe take away the 5k reduction (and I know that's a hefty chunk) and think about if the pay is enough for you to get by without feeling like your skimping. There's a lot to be said for working in a place where you are respected, treated well, that's expanding and on the up and you have control over your work schedule.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Interview went well.
    The work is well within my wheel house. Staff were lovely.

They had a slide outside from the accounts team to design reception.!!!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A slide?!!!

Sold fella, get the fuck in there
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Also I know with me that whilst I often feel that money is tight, I find it rarely matters what I'm paid, the money's always tight more because of me not my earnings. Also if you've managed to sort out all the "extras" you were paying your boy's ma, then maybe the 5k difference wouldn't be that noticeable without that added fluctuating expense
    This. If you earned 80k. Things would still be tight because Cullen would have a pony or something.
    One thing I've learnt over the years is money is important but your work life balance is way more important.
    I'd approach them and see if they had an but more in the budget or ask to see figures over this percentage malarkey from another similar store.

But even if there was no movement I'd advise you to go for it. Just to be happier.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Interview went well.
    The work is well within my wheel house. Staff were lovely.

They had a slide outside from the accounts team to design reception.!!!

Get in. Fingers crossed for you.
    But isn't this peak /bat?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!