Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I should be wwf champion now. But triple h held me down...

Edit: damn, should've quoted
    SFV - reddave360
  • I could've had 3 different careers by now, instead I'm still trying to scrape a living. Can't honestly say I regret any of it though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Retail doesn't sound attractive initially but careers can be made out of it. I saw enough people at Moss who came from the shop floor and learnt new skills, also my mate Wheeler from HMV/FOPP has managed to build a real career out of it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • CV sent off. Been told I should expect a call.

Thanks guys. Think I gotta take this shot if it presents itself. The hospital is killing me, as much as I really enjoy certain parts of it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I should be 3 novels deep by now.
    I should have finished at least one of the bastards by now. Since Cub was born I've done almost nothing on that side of things, much to my own self loathing.

Anyway. Become an air traffic controller. You'll be minted.
  • But if not, I think a return to retail might be good for you, Gav. A permanent contract sounds like a big deal for where you are right now and has to be a priority.

Hope it works out.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    And you get to go to school in Bournemouth, which is great
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I would absolutely take the UO job, personally. Sounds like the security would help you sleep better, and from what I’ve read your current place has it’s fair share of... well, cunts to be frank, maybe I’m wrong.

Also I really enjoyed retail, what I do now isn’t that different. IT is a services job, and I get rated by surveys and metrics etc still, which I don’t mind (helps prove you do the work and others might not pull their weight, great for me when it comes to end of year bonus/rise time).

As much as retail gets a bad rep, there’s a reason people do it for years and years, and I’ve known people leave office jobs to get into retail and management specifically, and enjoyed it.

Only reason I’d have a problem these days is that I have kids, and wouldn’t want to work weekends or evenings so I could spend time with them.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I should be 3 novels deep by now.
    I should have finished at least one of the bastards by now. Since Cub was born I've done almost nothing on that side of things, much to my own self loathing.

Anyway. Become an air traffic controller. You'll be minted.

Not if you like spending money on holidays like I do.

It is a good shout though. Not sure what it's like over there but here you don't need any prior training to apply and whilst they like you to have done maths/science in school back in the day they rather life experience and a display of aptitude on the test days over anything else.

Pay is good, work is a skill that once you get good at it means it's not that hard a job. And you get paid well. Too well I think in our case in Aus.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I imagine air traffic control in Aus comes down to "No you can't land here, you might have foreigners on your plane, go lamd on an island"
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    lamd
    foreigner detected
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, taking new heading for NZ
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Update on the CIO thing, a whooooole bunch of legal drama has ground the whole venture to a halt so I'm not holding my breath. Ridiculous cos there are millions in investment waiting for this thing to be incorporated and the lawyers are so risk averse they only drink cold tea.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got a new office!
    Our jobs have become too unmanageable to have us all in one room so I've got more space and this is the bollocks I do to it.

mpJRJKg.jpg
  • ...and all you had to do to get it was push old Dumbledore out of a window.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nice! Loving the Disney stuff (just spent too much on the Mickey Mouse anniversary beats solo3...half price in HMV!) 

Best thing about having an office is putting up your stuff.

I did go overboard in my last place after a while...

IMG-3933.jpg

IMG-3935.jpg

Have reigned it in a bit in my new place:

IMG-8437.jpg

Also just noticed my boss trying to get in the photo...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got more Disney shit to bring in tomorrow.... But also your office is insane.
  • Is that in Picadilly somewhere
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow you guys take customising to next level, I stuck a ghouls and ghosts knight on the side of my pc and thought it enough
  • I have a Dalek on my monitor.
  • We have hotdesking
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I don’t have a desk. I have a notebook and have to find a desk in a station somewhere
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Is that in Picadilly somewhere

First office was in Holborn, new office is above Monument Station.

Have to move to the ‘main’ building across the road soon though, apparently having a big office, kitchen and 3 meeting rooms with 20 empty desks is a bit expensive for the 4 of us that come in every day... will miss those windows :(
  • How the hell are you going to move all that stuff?
  • That’s all moved, I don’t work there anymore and I took it all home, I have not too much where I work now (bottom pic).

To be fair the Lego figs on the left of that top pic were my bosses, not mine. I took those posters home though of course.

My wife was so happy when I would take home another bag of toys to add to the shelves of other toys at home.
  • I assume you will never be so low as to consider politics

I thought not, but when the bills need paid you never know.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here's a thing to make you (me) smile

When you find out a pupil in your caseload at a comprehensive school may not just have the best higher course marks in the school, but potentially in the country.

Look out for them, following the marking review service, to be on BBC news or some shit.
  • I just accidentally snared a new client.

Went into town on my day off to visit a jeweller and buy my wife a nice birthday present. Took a bottle of prosecco with me because the jeweller is an old friend (ex girlfriend, I suppose) and it’s Friday. She insisted on opening it there and then, we drank the entire bottle, and I bought a ring for my wife. Said jeweller pal was invited to a post-work party at a wealth management firm across the road, and asked me to be her plus one. So now I’m at a rooftop party with a bunch of financiers and my ex. There is a lot of cocaine (I do not partake). But this is supposed to be a party for them to get their clients drunk and happy, so I start meeting a lot of rich business owners who might be potential clients for me and my branding agency.

Dunno how many of those I will ever hear from again, but the Yorkshireman whose company refurbish electrical substations up and down the UK is coming back to Scotland for a meeting with me on Monday because he needs to rebrand.

Winning, I think. But now I need to figure out where to tell my wife I’ve been so that I don’t give away the surprise birthday jewellery I actually went out to buy while she was at work.

Dammit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just say you were getting pissed with your ex. Simple.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!