Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I'm struggling with how to 'leverage' my transferable skills from one career into another, without direct experience in said other.

Business.

Teaching.

Teaching business.

Teaching teaching.

A teaching business.

A teaching teaching business.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I assume you will never be so low as to consider politics
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I'm in the middle of a massive career change. And I'm absolutely loving it. In the short time I've been dealing with my new employer, they've been better to me than cineworld ever have. I've been given complete autonomy to select my team, even letting me employ a really good mate that's fallen on hard times recently, no questions asked. I honestly think I've won a watch with these guys.
  • Sounds great. Fingers crossed for you mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Someone please employ me and get me out of this place that values the cliping and backstabbing of people who take the company for a ride every day over a genuine, honest, hardworking person like myself who puts a lot of effort into being A Good Guy. I can argue the ins and outs of stuff til I'm blue in the face but the fact is I'm having shit put against my name in an official capacity and it makes me sad and feel like I'm a Bad Guy when I try so hard not to be. It's really getting me down. Fuck 'em.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    We know you're one of the good guys. Do these suits have any proppa evidence against you such as timed work comparison to others? What's their actual beef with your performance? What do the patients say? Large squeeze anyways bud.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Sounds like Scott might be able to give you a job. What could possibly go wrong? Etc.
  • poprock wrote:
    Sounds like Scott might be able to give you a job. What could possibly go wrong? Etc.

Alas, I wasn't able to. Did try though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It is slow at work at the moment. I’m currently on a bonus nicotine break as I’ve already run out of things to do today.
  • Sounds like you need an assistant to take the load off.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A month ago I had six reports at work, and was starting to get miserable/stressed. In a months time I'll be down to one report, and able to do some more interesting technical work. Pretty hyped tbh.
  • Her pals a manager in the big Urban Outfitters in town. Chatting yesterday about my current work woes and she's just messaged asking me to send my CV over as they may have a contract going.

It's back in retail, yes, and it's gonna cost me in travel/parking, but, she said it's a permanent position. No fucking about with short-term contracts and that guillotine above my head like it is in here. I dunno.

I mean, I've got the hipster tash for it, right?

Y/N?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You've got the looks to do it for sure but fffuuuuucccckkk ever going back into retail ever again. I'm not sure it's worth it.
  • Driving to town sounds like a mug's game, maybe just do the train/bus? It's expensive but should be offset by the permanent hours. I'd suggest going for it cos it feels like you're constantly getting fucked over by this contractor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fuck retail is my initial reaction too, but then your current role doesn’t sound hugely better.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    You've got the looks to do it for sure but fffuuuuucccckkk ever going back into retail ever again. I'm not sure it's worth it.

It's very easy to say this when you've been out of it for a decade on a decent salary though. It's bad, sure, but it pays the bills and a contract is a contract.

I work retail/customer facing and a bar, back to back. It's tolerable.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh and aye, don't fucking drive to town just to do it. You'll use your money out your ass on the toll short journeys take on petrol, and then parking. There's nothing to prove there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

It's very easy to say this when you've been out of it for a decade on a decent salary though. It's bad, sure, but it pays the bills and a contract is a contract.

I work retail/customer facing and a bar, back to back. It's tolerable.

Yes, I am from the most entitled. What you said above about the contract is right tbh. Point stands on the car tho. No need to do it.
  • The fact is the job market is fucking shite at the moment and you take what you can get. I think Gav's best option is doing something similar to what I am doing - get employed, take some kind of Higher Ed. that delvevrs a skill at the end of it. I could probably have picked something better or more secure but my Mental Health means I am best sticking to something in my wheelhouse.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Training probably is the best bet.

I’d say learn a trade if you aren’t sure what else to do. Become a plumber or a sparky or a carpenter. We’ll need people with those skills when we start rounding up and reporting everyone with an EU passport.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, advice above is sound. Get yourself an HNC or something equivalent in a good solid profession whilst you're earning reliable money.
    Reason I recommend HNC above other things is, depending on your college (I mostly speak from Edinburgh College knowledge, but know Clyde is similar) you are more likely to get employed straight out with that qualification, as the next other step is uni, and employers would rather take you at that step and mould you for their company.
  • Re: driving/transport. I'd only ever seriously drive every day if, like some places in GCC, they give some staff parking permits, or maybe have private spaces somewhere. It'd be mad otherwise, obvs.

Thanks for the input lads. The fact it's permanent is the biggest thing, honestly. I cannot put into words how much this temp contract pish gets me down. Like I feel sub-human. It's so shite.
  • Retail is gonna get a whhhoopin if we crash out of Europe.
    Urban Outfitters are trading pretty well in an already tough market but I wouldnt guarantee any individual retail role past the end of the financial year.

Companies that contract out to the NHS on the other hand will be raking it in. Although it sounds like that isnt your issue where you are.

I cant say what is best but do some in depth research on Urban Outfitters and if you have an interview press them on their contingency plans to protect staff. Make sure you are on as short a possible introductory contract. You want to be fully contracted by October 31st.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd seriously still not drive even if you had your own space. Navigating the city centre is a hell Scape - I try to avoid it as much as possible. It's also where a new driver will get into an accident because of the way people park on both sides of narrow streets, which is where you'll hit a mirror. I sure fucking did.

Also, the stop start nature of it will do a number on your petrol more than any motorway will.
  • Problem with being a contractor for the NHS is whilst they may rake it in, you're disposable as anything.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Problem with being a contractor for the NHS is whilst they may rake it in, you're disposable as anything.

Very true unfortunately.
  • If only folk like me and Gav had been smarter a decade ago. Hohum.
  • Nothing about being smarter, it was luck. We all made choices that felt right at the time.

I could have been retiring by now if I’d stayed south and gone the ad agency route. I’d have no soul, but.

Gav, the Urban Outfitters option sounds legit. If it comes to anything, grab it with both hands. The NHS gig has given you the breather you needed – a worthwhile role away from HMV – but it’s not sounding viable long-term. Too many jobsworths at your level and not enough opportunities to rise beyond it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I should be 3 novels deep by now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!