Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Given the job market people are probably applying to hunners. Dunno why they wouldn’t turn it, but you might be 5th or 6th in line that week.
  • Well, if I get made redundant it gives me hope. Seems like just showing up puts you ahead of the competition.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I had a look at getting a part time xmas job the other day. My work dries up over xmas most years so things can get tight in January.

I know I am lucky to not have to take a job but fuck me what I saw was depressing. Apparently offering a few pennies over minimum wage is something to be proud of.
    The hours are crap as well. A few hours a day, can't tell you what hours, 3 days a week, can't tell you which days.
    I really don't envy anyone working like that, or worse.

I would suggest people have probably developed a shit attitude towards job hunting because it can be crap.
  • The other thing is the vast majority of companies offer no feedback to interviewees or even contact with other unsuccessful applicants.
    Job hunters are likely treating companies as the average company treats them.
  • I’ve lived a few years of all of the above so, yeah.
  • I’m getting hammered at work again this week. I’m so exhausted it feels like a fucking Friday night already and it’s actually only Tuesday.

I’m still thrilled about the promotion I got a while ago, and I want the responsibility that came along with it, but fuck me, the pressure is real.

This morning I was presenting work to a client. 15 people from the client side, three from ours. Four hours of me speaking, showing and explaining – with near-zero input from my two colleagues (one of them the MD). Five minute walk across town and then a two-hour briefing from my MD on a different project. Two and a half hours back in the studio running a team of designers to put finishing touches to a pitch for tomorrow morning. Break to go out and have a few drinks and watch the fireworks. Another couple of hours at home reading the final pitch documents through as prep for tomorrow – 60-odd pages of visual strategy plus 100+ pages of tender submission (credentials, basically). In the morning I have to present all of that to a room of (I think) 12 people in just under two hours. It’s a job worth about £300k of pure profit over two years. Nae pressure at all then, eh?

On the plus side, I fucking nailed the four hour presentation this morning. That client’s happy as hell. And my pals whose house I went to for the fireworks tonight served some bloody fantastic home-made sloe gin, which is probably why I’m still awake.

Anyway, none of the above matters. I just wanted to vent. Hashtag middle class problems etc. My diamond shoes are pinching again.
  • Nice one Pop.
    All about the ground work.
  • Pls employ me, Pop.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’m getting hammered at work again this week. I’m so exhausted it feels like a fucking Friday night already and it’s actually only Tuesday.

I’m still thrilled about the promotion I got a while ago, and I want the responsibility that came along with it, but fuck me, the pressure is real.

This morning I was presenting work to a client. 15 people from the client side, three from ours. Four hours of me speaking, showing and explaining – with near-zero input from my two colleagues (one of them the MD). Five minute walk across town and then a two-hour briefing from my MD on a different project. Two and a half hours back in the studio running a team of designers to put finishing touches to a pitch for tomorrow morning. Break to go out and have a few drinks and watch the fireworks. Another couple of hours at home reading the final pitch documents through as prep for tomorrow – 60-odd pages of visual strategy plus 100+ pages of tender submission (credentials, basically). In the morning I have to present all of that to a room of (I think) 12 people in just under two hours. It’s a job worth about £300k of pure profit over two years. Nae pressure at all then, eh?

On the plus side, I fucking nailed the four hour presentation this morning. That client’s happy as hell. And my pals whose house I went to for the fireworks tonight served some bloody fantastic home-made sloe gin, which is probably why I’m still awake.

Anyway, none of the above matters. I just wanted to vent. Hashtag middle class problems etc. My diamond shoes are pinching again.

Congrats for nailing it, but look after yourself.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I’ve got a week off booked soon, and almost four weeks over Christmas. It’s a sticking plaster and not a cure, I know, but it’ll help.

Long term plan? Sometime around Feb/March, I’ll be renegotiating my contract and salary. If I’m gonna work this much harder than my colleagues, I want a share of the business. If they say no to that, I’ll stop working so hard.
  • So we need to hire a Creative Director. It’s really difficult hiring people for senior roles. There’s nobody suitable to promote internally, and we want the fresh outlook a new hire brings. It’s a big deal for a small agency, it’ll have a big influence on the studio.

Anyway, we’ve got three candidates in the maybe pile right now. One of them has worked here before, a few years back. He’s been away working at a bigger agency in Manchester and getting a lot of good experience under his belt.

But. There are a lot of stories about things the guy did when he worked here before. Frankly it sounds like he was a trainwreck of a human being. 
    Spoiler:

My bosses want to pick him and have him back here. Creatively he’s a known quantity and he’s going to be cheaper than any of the other current candidates. I think it’d be fucking toxic for the team. They younger staff here all know these stories – the man has been a running joke in the studio for years and all of a sudden has a very real and human face.

Personally I think he sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. But there’s a very real chance he’s going to get hired, despite my warnings.

I’m actually a bit worried. I know I should try to have some empathy because people can change, deserve a second chance, all that sort of thing. But why take the risk?
  • Yeah that would be a hard no on that guy for me.
    Too risky and if the team already know the stories he won't be able to command respect. Studios are generally pretty informal but there is still a hierarchy.
  • *sirens blaring*

No!
  • And if they insist on yes, get your objection in writing somehow.
  • Hire me instead. I have no related skills, but I can't afford to drink or hire prostitutes.
  • Yeah, it’s a hard no from me (if I didn’t make that clear) and both the company owners know it is. If they go ahead and hire him it leaves me questioning my long-term plan of taking a share of the firm and being part of the succession plan – because it shows they care less about my opinion than I’d like.
  • Is he Don Draper?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Fuck hiring that guy, as someone said above, lawsuit waiting to happen.

R. E. Interviews - in cineworld, we did group interviews, maximum 20 per session. We'd always invite 30, because we knew half of them wouldn't turn up.

Last point, well it's more asking a favour really - the owner of my company has a major hard on for Google reviews. If we get a 5 star one, the customer gets a fiver voucher sent to them, and we get a fiver for every one we're named in. I think my competitors are trying to stitch me up, had a few recently that are utter bullshit - saying they weren't greeted or approached, the service is terrible, but then they went to a competitor that miraculously saved the day for them. It's utter pish, but 2 can play the fake review game - if there's any badgers reading this with a Gmail account and fancy helping a brother out, go and chuck me a wee 5 star review? Just Google 'careco Glasgow' then hit the reviews tab underneath. My advisor's names are Craig, Kenny and liz, and obviously I'm Scott.

Thanks in advance, trying to get my average up so I can get left alone by the boss and actually focus on important stuff......
  • Craig, Kenny and Liz each gave excellent service, it was clear that they were under expert management. As I was racing out on my new scooter, I saw a tall fellow appear, with magnificent facial hair, who exuded authority. I immediately went back and bought something, anything from him. I confess I can't quite remember his name, such was the level I was starstruck. Gavin perhaps.
  • Hire me instead. I have no related skills, but I can't afford to drink or hire prostitutes.

Based on the creative writing skills above, you’re on.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just make sure you don’t pay him enough to be able to afford booze or hookers.
  • I’ll do it, I’m not one for booze or whores but I do have an addiction to biscuits
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Craig, Kenny and Liz each gave excellent service, it was clear that they were under expert management. As I was racing out on my new scooter, I saw a tall fellow appear, with magnificent facial hair, who exuded authority. I immediately went back and bought something, anything from him. I confess I can't quite remember his name, such was the level I was starstruck. Gavin perhaps.

Aye, something like that.

I'm recruiting now, as previously mentioned, if at all possible I'll hire someone called gav, just for funsies. Kenny, Scott, Craig and gav are me and my brothers names, it'd confuse the life out of auld Mary.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Fuck hiring that guy, as someone said above, lawsuit waiting to happen.

R. E. Interviews - in cineworld, we did group interviews, maximum 20 per session. We'd always invite 30, because we knew half of them wouldn't turn up.

Last point, well it's more asking a favour really - the owner of my company has a major hard on for Google reviews. If we get a 5 star one, the customer gets a fiver voucher sent to them, and we get a fiver for every one we're named in. I think my competitors are trying to stitch me up, had a few recently that are utter bullshit - saying they weren't greeted or approached, the service is terrible, but then they went to a competitor that miraculously saved the day for them. It's utter pish, but 2 can play the fake review game - if there's any badgers reading this with a Gmail account and fancy helping a brother out, go and chuck me a wee 5 star review? Just Google 'careco Glasgow' then hit the reviews tab underneath. My advisor's names are Craig, Kenny and liz, and obviously I'm Scott.

Thanks in advance, trying to get my average up so I can get left alone by the boss and actually focus on important stuff......

Careco Glasgow on Battlefield Rd?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Never mind, its the one. I left a lovely review mentioning your name. Hope it helps!
  • Hugely appreciated mate.

Aye, the Battlefield Road one, it's the only one in Scotland.
  • Should we not stagger any positive reviews tho m8, otherwise the gig'll be up?
  • Good idea, I’m gonna sign in on my wife’s account and say Scott tried to grope me
  • Good idea, I’m gonna sign in on my wife’s account and say Scott tried to grope me

How dare you, I'd never grope your wife!!

You though, on the other hand..... MEER YOU YA WEE DURTY!!
  • nick_md wrote:
    Should we not stagger any positive reviews tho m8, otherwise the gig'll be up?

I honestly think the gaffer just wants the average up a bit. Because we're so new and there's so few, 1 negative review skews the score.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!