Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Gave a weeks notice, they said do a handover and be on your way. Told genting I'll start with them the 16th March, so a couple of weeks of unemployment beckon, can't wait! Starting it off right, went and collected my boy, gonna spend some stress and worry free time with him.
  • Nice one HawBaw! Make sure you're drinking vodka neat from now on.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Gave a weeks notice, they said do a handover and be on your way. Told genting I'll start with them the 16th March, so a couple of weeks of unemployment beckon, can't wait! Starting it off right, went and collected my boy, gonna spend some stress and worry free time with him.

Class.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Gave a weeks notice, they said do a handover and be on your way. Told genting I'll start with them the 16th March, so a couple of weeks of unemployment beckon, can't wait! Starting it off right, went and collected my boy, gonna spend some stress and worry free time with him.

This is living. Great stuff
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    There's two jobs going where I work.  First is an Automation and DevOps Engineer and the other is a Data Analyst.  Hit me up for job spec and stuff.  Location is Cheltenham.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Apologies for brief work whinge
    We have to do 500 odd callouts to customers that have expressed interest in Edinburgh Vaults since 2016 (we're finally opening this week)
    Yesterday two of us got 50 done, around all the other stuff we had to do at work, like our regular damn job.

Business owner called and was like... hmm, that's not really enough for 2 people on a 5 hour shift, would you consider working extra, or working early/late on Sunday? So I said I had plans. No he's getting two other people to come in to Glasgow (we only have 4 desktops so that's the max we can have) 

The rub? There are 3 other branches in the UK each with two staff in. They were dead all yesterday, barely 20 visits between them. I suggested they maybe send a pot of 50-75 to each branch to work through and we could have them all done by tomorrow?

Nah. Not an efficient use of anyone's time it seems.

We're always getting told about not being on our phones at work, stay busy, don't waste time, there's always something to do etc But when it comes for us to finally have something to do that could keep a bunch of branches moderately busy the owner instead choses to make one branch overwhelmingly busy whilst the others sit doing nothing. Big business brain in action!
  • That’s just fucking stupid and almost deliberately pig-headed. Nnnngggg.
  • That's the type of shit that has ended up with me working for myself.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    GCHQ?
    Unfortunately not that exciting. It's a finance company called iPipeline.  Provides a comparison service for financial advisors.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Did my 4th and final round interview today.
    (My semi synesthetic brain sees and hears the announcer and graphics from street fighter II every time I think of that.)

I gave a presentation and then did an interview with the director of Dublin, the Director or L&D and the VP of EMEA.

Felt like it went very well, I was completely happy with how I handled it, I felt great afterwards.
    I am a bit perverse in that I like interviews in the first place but still I think I nailed it.

If I don't get the job, I feel they either found someone better or a better fit which is of course always possible, or they didn't like something within my experience or personality, but not something like I messed up an area of the interview, or I can't present material or I don't fit the job.

I seemed to get on well with all three, including the VP who was self described as blunt, I know there was a worry about me being in Japan recently and if I'd set off on my todd again, feel like I assured him successfully on that.

With all of the interviews it wasn't heavily competency based questions which I found interesting, but that led on to better flowing chat/discussions.

I'm weary of being too happy, like my missus said often when you think you did bad you did well and vice versa so that's the worry in the mind but all in all I'm happy with it.

I know that's a long spiel to say interview went well. Sorry!
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Great stuff mate. Hope you get the job!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • kneecap wrote:
    Did my 4th and final round interview today. (My semi synesthetic brain sees and hears the announcer and graphics from street fighter II every time I think of that.) I gave a presentation and then did an interview with the director of Dublin, the Director or L&D and the VP of EMEA. Felt like it went very well, I was completely happy with how I handled it, I felt great afterwards. I am a bit perverse in that I like interviews in the first place but still I think I nailed it. If I don't get the job, I feel they either found someone better or a better fit which is of course always possible, or they didn't like something within my experience or personality, but not something like I messed up an area of the interview, or I can't present material or I don't fit the job. I seemed to get on well with all three, including the VP who was self described as blunt, I know there was a worry about me being in Japan recently and if I'd set off on my todd again, feel like I assured him successfully on that. With all of the interviews it wasn't heavily competency based questions which I found interesting, but that led on to better flowing chat/discussions. I'm weary of being too happy, like my missus said often when you think you did bad you did well and vice versa so that's the worry in the mind but all in all I'm happy with it. I know that's a long spiel to say interview went well. Sorry!

Jeez, a four round interview process and finishing up with the directors and VP seems like a lot.

Glad it went well though! You going to be based in Dublin?
  • That sounds like a full-on proper intimidating grown-up experience. Glad someone enjoys these sort of things (and good luck)!
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Ok so I have a call coming up to discuss next steps.
    Surely this is a job offer?!?

If so and I don't want to be presumptuous, Salary Negotiations, any advice/experience, it's not something I've personally done before.

I genuinely don't even know what they will offer.

The role is a corporate sales trainer and I will cover here with collegues in London and US and I think I will cover those locations at times also.

Huge plans for onboarding new staff etc.

I've a couple of years experience as a trainer at MS and adjacent jobs like my jaunt to Nippon teaching English. Did a presentation at the final round interview so if it's an offer they must like my style etc

The call is with the original Global head of Recruitment.
    I did mentioned a previous Salary of 35k+ ish which I was vague about and deeply regret saying, it was a month ago but I'm sure it's noted down.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Maybe have a look at online salary calculators to see what your take home would be, likewise mortgage calculators.

Both are easily googlable.
  • Yep. Glassdoor as well to see what other people are getting paid in your region for similar roles. Hell, search for the same employer if you can.
  • Unfortunately no one with my role is on their Glassdoor.
    They have a range of others from various sales to managers.

Regarding the job type in general I get all sorts out of google about salary.

Definitely better paid in the US than here!
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Yeah, everything seems to be (except hospitality/retail). Cost of living’s hella higher as well though, in major cities where the high salaries are.
  • Ok so I got the initial offer.

I like it, 40k, I did mention 42 is a number I prefer. Also the benefits etc such as health insurance, this is something I'll chat with at a follow-up call on Wednesday with a local.

I'm awaiting to hear from a job close by and mentioned it, but that I'm keen on them.

They did ask if there was anything that could lock me in right now. I just mention about knocking it up a notch plus health benefits.

Guess we will see regarding everything on wed.

Part of me feels, you fool just grab it, part of me is proud.
    Negotiations are to be expected.

Spoiler:
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Grats Cap, you done the right thing I reckon re. holding out briefly, they clearly want you. Don't over do it though ;)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Good on you cappers, if they're talking numbers they must be on the hook, well done
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • This is your one best chance to negotiate on package. Sounds like you’re making it count. Congratulations on the job offer, what a time to get it!
  • Well done Knee, sounds excellent.
  • Fuckin’ ay. Lovely to hear some good news from a fellow badger in the middle of all this gloom.
  • Cheers fellas.

I feel a bit stressed and worn out from that! The mad thing is interviews don't phase me at all, I actually enjoy em. This was my first time properly trying to negotiate a salary for myself, trying not to give away my hand, but also not being too cool and uninterested sounding.

The whole social isolation isn't helping either if course!

Oh well on to a beer and some games for the night.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • I also hate salary negotiations, like just tell me what you'll pay ffs. Good job again tho Cap.
  • So after Coming back to me on Wednesday with the local HR we had a chat about the benefits nothing outstanding but fairly ok.

I pushed again on the money, that was needed to lock me in.

Long story short, after connecting with the US side, all was confirmed and I have the Job.

Start Monday, on a wfm which is kinda mad.
    They'll be shipping me down a laptop + accoutrements.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • kneecap wrote:
    So after Coming back to me on Wednesday with the local HR we had a chat about the benefits nothing outstanding but fairly ok.

I pushed again on the money, that was needed to lock me in.

Long story short, after connecting with the US side, all was confirmed and I have the Job.

Start Monday, on a wfm which is kinda mad.
    They'll be shipping me down a laptop + accoutrements.

Some good news!

Nice one, knee.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!