ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Everyone is being hit in different ways, no persons inconvenience is really any bigger than anyone elses, don't diminish your own experience or annoyance. I bet there's a bunch of people feeling crappy about things that feel trivial on reflection, reading your own annoyance helps them feel less guilty
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • OK, I managed to get one of my codes after the editor chased them up. Later than everyone else, but it'll do.
  • A minor issue in the grand scheme of things but I'm really growing to hate people who propose an idea as part of a question. As more and more meetings are email or whatsapp or whatever, some people seem to think that saying a thing like "Maybe this is something we can do?" or "Can we do X?" is fucking appropriate when the answer isnt a matter of Can its a matter of Who or how

I know this is me getting iritated by nothing but it feels like real manager-speak, and it annoys me. You have an idea? Great, say I have an idea and then propose how it will be done and who will do it. There's usually no 'Can' about this. I'm not employing people to make suggestions, I'm looking for ideas and (crucially) the action required the make the idea work.

Grumble done, thank you.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Unless they are in tofal control of the resources (time, money, people, equipment) to make the idea happen then all they can do is suggest. They need someone else to say "yes, that works, everyone make Goobers idea work, goober, you are the lead on this".

Also, they may not be aware of the resources a available to other teams/departments that they need to help them, so are genuinely asking "maybe".
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    That sounds like wording I would use because it's often hard to know what the management system is capable of doing and I wouldn't want to sound silly by going "Let's do [impossible thing!]!"
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • “I think the company should do X. Can person Y take the first step, using resource Z?”

“I recommend we do X. Can person Y investigate the resources required?”

“I’d like to do X. It should achieve Y. Can I have resource Z please?”

I dunno, those feel more helpful than “What if we did X?” and then wandering off.
  • poprock wrote:
    “I think the company should do X. Can person Y take the first step, using resource Z?”

“I recommend we do X. Can person Y investigate the resources required?”

“I’d like to do X. It should achieve Y. Can I have resource Z please?”

I dunno, those feel more helpful than “What if we did X?” and then wandering off.

That's it. Nailed it.

Also, I should have clarified that I'm taking about other managers. They've a pretty good idea of resources and staff availability and ability.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Absolutely. Fuck. Everyone.
  • What's happened? You ok?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That sounds bad. You okay dude?
  • The chip in dante brain has been activated. Like a terminator his instructions literally are Absolutely.Fuck.Everyone. his mission will last a lifetime and require loads of condoms.

In all seriousness hope your ok dante.
  • Any advice appreciated.

Started new job on 16th March. Lockdown starts a week later. Fortunately, company said full wages for everyone, even before the 80% government rebate was announced. Few weeks pass, company estimates it'll be August before we open, so full pay till end of May, then dropping down to the 80%.

I emailed payroll, as I hadn't received my p45 before lockdown, so i was sending them a copy to get my tax code updated. Also asked if I was furloughed.

Turns out, anyone that started after 29th February is a new start and is actually laid off. So just now, the company is paying me 100% until end of May, but not able to claim anything back from the government. They told me that a decision hasn't been made regarding new starters for June onwards.

So, that sounds like I can be let go, made redundant, fuck knows. Dream scenario is they give me 80% of my wage, but they can't claim it back, I highly doubt that will happen.

So I'm literally bricking it now. Back to where I was with careco a few months ago. There's a real chance I'll lose my income in a month's time. Dunno what to do.
  • The cut off date was moved to the 19th of March from the 28th of February to allow people like yourself to not slip through the net. So they should be able to keep you on at 80% reclaim from the gov, although there may be something about them registering you as an employee in time, sorry I'm not sure on the exact specifics.

It's worth double checking they aware that the new employee deadline moved.

First thing you should do though is to start a Universal Credit application now. If you dont need it later just cancel it but you dont want to be waiting with no money.
  • I just sent the link from the gov website, if I'm understanding it correctly, I shouldn't be laid off, I should be furloughed. It does mention them having me on the books, but I signed my contract etc weeks before I started, I even helped set myself up on payroll as its a system I used to use, so surely it should have been on time? If not, then that's an error on gentings part, no? I provided all the information required in good time, surely I can't get punted?
  • I mean they can let you go regardless but that would be a right dick of a move.
    Sounds like you should have been set up on the books but like I say I dont know the ins and outs, just seen other people mention it.

This is one of the problems with how the gov have decided to manage this. They arent really paying individuals wages they are reimbursing employers.
  • You should in theory be fine with qualifying for furlough given that the dates for inclusion were indeed extended to the 19th March. It certainly doesn't sound like your HR/Payroll are aware of this though?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I got a response from hr. Apparently there are 'technicalities too this which mean we cannot claim for anyone who started in March. Our operations directors are looking into this and will advise in due course'.

I've asked them to explain exactly what the technicalities are. If I apply for universal credit, they'll immediately ask why I'm not furloughed even though I'm within the qualifying dates for it.

Fuck fuck fuck.
  • They're saying that even though I started on the 16th, in order to qualify, HMRC had to be aware by the 19th. But genting don't do a payroll run until the 25th. So, even though I signed a contract on the 3rd, and was entered on to payroll that same day, HMRC didn't find out about it till the 25th, so apparently genting can't claim my wages.

I'm in touch with citizens advice. I'm pretty sure I won't get universal credit.
  • You should get UC.
    I would just start the process now.

Unfortunately your situation is what I feared. Welcome to the government run "Fuck you fraudster" club.
  • I'm not saying this to defend your hr department but over here in Ireland being an employee on the payroll isn't always the same date as your contract start date, which can cause confusion. Revenue (our version of HMRC) usually go by your first pay date and as benefits tend to be tied to that...

Our covid scheme has been a nightmare to fully understand from the employer side but that's somewhat expected. They had to put it together very quickly and have been adapting as they go. Hope you get sorted.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ah just had my first 'snake in the grass' moment with work on Teams. Joking around with my team, we all know what we can say as jokes etc. There's also a non-team member in there for quality purposes. Phonecall half an hour later from OPs Manager - this person (could only be them) has screenshotted the conversation and passed it on. Little bollocking there.

Lovely stuff, love it.
  • Some people huh?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah, its a bollocks when ya know exactly who it was too. Still, I have the whoie sexual advance from senior management thing to play with, considering that was swept under the carpet.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There aren't any games
    YES WE MAKE THE BEST GAMES
    INFINITE POWER OF THE CLOD
    WHERE IS YOSS, HE WAS ALWAYS A GOOD EGG
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I hear Peter Moore is off out to get a Muzzy tattoo
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • CLOD POWER!
    Now we’re talking.
  • Now we need elf to get a job at Sony. Then the real elf v muzzy battle begins. FIGHT!
  • After numerous emails between me and hr, getting citizens advice involved, my employer confirmed today that even though I'm laid off, they're treat me the same as furloughed staff, so I'll get 80% pay going forward.

Huge relief. Citizens advice confirmed genting were right, because they didn't do a payroll run till the 25th they couldn't claim my wages under the scheme. But, citizens advice also said I shouldn't be laid off, I should be furloughed, or sign a new contract with a 20% salary reduction. But fuckit, least I know my jobs secure enough for them to pay me from the company accounts.

Going forward, once we open again, I'm hearing hints my role will become more business critical. Purely because it's nigh on impossible to effectively social distance around a roulette or card table, so it seems they're going to gently encourage more electronic gaming. That way, you don't have to interact with anyone, all winnings can be paid onto your account then you can transfer them out via the genting app.

Anyway. Massive load off my mind.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!