Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Smash it Gav. Then fix it.
  • Gotta work on your tradesman’s inhale before the interview Gav.

If you can do that, you’re in.
  • In better news.. A fortnight ago I saw that the estates department in the hospital were looking for a new Maintenance Assistant. Most of the guys that work in there are getting on a bit now, and I think they all have some kind of 'trade' behind them, be it spark or plumbing etc, so I thought I'd be out of the running. Turns out you don't have to have one to apply as you'll get training, so I threw my hat into the ring. It's a fair bit more on the salary, and, there's "call out" shifts where if you are called out, it's decent dosh on top. Mostly though, it gets me out of portering. There's constant bitching and the majority of people I work with, I just can't stand if I'm honest. I get a real sense of fulfilment helping patients but the people in there grind me down more often than not. Not to say there's no bitching in Estates, but I feel I can manage it more in with them. All big football men, tbh. I'll settle in. So I got an email there inviting me to an interview next week. Will be cornering the guys I regularly Stop And Chat with for tips. Anyone on the forum with experience of these departments? Anyway, buzzing.

Hey Gav, I worked with an estates team at a hospital for a few years and they were "top bants", good luck mate. 

FYI you are right there is still bitching in estates, except all the bitching I was privvy to was just the managers getting in a huff cos they were fucking up their programming for repair works.

Since they do all the maintenance and stuff, coming in at ground floor level I'm not sure what they'll have you on, but they should have opportunities for you to possibly get some college or other professional qualifications in a trade if you liked it and wanted to stick at it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • That's great news Gav. Good luck, wish I had some advice other than just do your best!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Aye, best of luck with the interview Gav. Got ma fingers crossed for you.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • And don't forget the coding option Gav. Something to maybe potter about with every now and again, and good courses are often free.

https://www.kaggle.com/learn/overview
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • And don't forget the coding option Gav. Something to maybe potter about with every now and again, and good courses are often free.

https://www.kaggle.com/learn/overview

Would the python course be a good starter in that lot? I've a week off from Sunday and want to have a quick stab at something new. Might be good time to get started.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yes it's great, but it's heavily ML based, which is not a bad thing. Deffo do it - it's not long and is very focused. As with anything coding there is a significant chance of getting a job if you participate in projects and put your work on Github. An employer can quickly assess how good you are by looking at your work. This can all be done on the side if you're working FT. 

Get into Python and work on PROJECTS. 

Also this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/consumerchampion
  • Just want to try a bit and see if its something I can get into. Thanks for posting it up
    SFV - reddave360
  • In particular his Python course seems a good place to start, probably. I don't know it personally but he's keen on free learning and did a Python bootcamp course on Udemy.

• But do the kaggle course first. It's the fastest course of all.
  • Sounds like a good opportunity gav! Good luck!
  • That’s great news gav.

When they ask you your salary expectations shake your head side to side, exhale through your teeth and say, “ooff, I don’t know exactly - but it won’t be cheap,” then they’ll be like “fuck, this boy does the trades alright,” and before you know it they’ll have you in re-wiring the emergency surgery theatres.
  • Hahah, cheers folks.

Not long out the interview there. Think it went well! There's obvious shortcomings in my experience and I can't control that, what I can control is how I come across and how my personality is so I just focused on that. Done a good bit of research too speaking to the boys in here and it served me well, but there was a couple of moments they asked something super technical and I had to be honest and say I didn't know. But hey, focus on the positives, felt like a good long chat anyway. Plus, I hear its down to me and three others after two cancelled. I'll take one in four at this point! Cheers!
  • Being able to admit gaps in knowledge is a good thing. Its possible that those gaps are required knowledge and youre out, or they're things that they can teach you on the job and your honesty swings it for you.

Fingers crossed for you.
  • Aye, fingers crossed Gav.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Good luck, Gav
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Just had a debrief meeting to discuss a meeting about a meeting.

#justcorporatethings
  • Oooh, I just had a meeting to discuss a meeting that's happening later this morning.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Oooh, I just had a meeting to discuss a meeting that's happening later this morning.

It’s how you know you’re a true professional.
  • I just got pulled into to a meeting with 7 minutes notice to ask me things I did not know the answers to.
  • Hmmm, not good.

I’d schedule a meeting to discuss that meeting and to set actionables for future meetings.
  • Agreed, let's implement that going forward.
  • That would honestly have been helpful
  • Glad we all see eye to eye on this.

Good meeting.
  • Just signing in to my 11:00 meeting.  Glad I scheduled that 10:00 meeting to prepare for this meeting.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I just got sent a meeting invite to a meeting in an hours time. I'm not in the office today so rejected the meeting. Got a snotty reply back asking why not.

Maybe because you tried to setup a meeting with an hours notice, after blowing me off for our previously arranged meeting, which I gave you 48hrs notice for.
  • I’ve put a moratorium on meetings for the day. I am incommunicado. I have switched off Zoom, Skype and Teams.

Fuck the system, etc etc.
  • I'm going for a walk.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!