Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Work has today rejected a manager of 10 years and another manager of 8 years for a senior management role

Instead they have chosen a project manager fromhead office who is on secondment with us for four months instead. She leaves us before Christmas.

The blatant politics is making me piss myself with laughter.

Fit?

Dunno, she doesnt even work in the office. We are Greater Manc, shes in Leicester.

Probably fit doe
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • In a previous job, the 1st line helpdesk manager off loaded the hiring of new staff to his assistant, a lad in his late 20s. So what happened? He just hired aload of fit women. Didnt care about their qualifications or anything, just that they were fit (he said that himself). After awhile he had to start hiring a wider range of ladies as it was getting ridiculous, half the floor was full of young hot women and i think people were noticing and wondering whats going on.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    In a previous job, the 1st line helpdesk manager off loaded the hiring of new staff to his assistant, a lad in his late 20s. So what happened? He just hired aload of fit women. Didnt care about their qualifications or anything, just that they were fit (he said that himself). After awhile he had to start hiring a wider range of ladies as it was getting ridiculous, half the floor was full of young hot women and i think people were noticing and wondering whats going on.
    Sounds great tbh.
  • I've just come out of a meeting with my supervisors in which they discussed the fact that my deteriorating mental health is obviously because of the job and I am making several serious errors of judgement because of it.
    They are very worried and think perhaps this job isn't for me as it's affecting my physical and mental health.
    They kept repeating "we are NOT saying there's the door, just we want you to think hard about if this job is for you"

Which is management speak for "you're useless to us, please consider leaving"

Fucking perfect. I was really struggling and doubting my own abilities, to have management come out and confirm that they too are doubting my abilities is just perfect :(

Feels like I'm spiraling into a deep fucking hole right now
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Hmmmm, so is there no course of action or training or support they have to offer for situations like this? For ways in which you can improve and grow and get help?

Did they have a point to the meeting or were they just there to cast doubt onto your abilities?
  • Wookie, you could turn it around say fuck you, I'll prove you wrong, believe in yourself and go do the job to your best of your ability.

As shabby said ask for training, support etc as well. Its really not a good climate to be unemployed right now.
  • I've just come out of a meeting with my supervisors in which they discussed the fact that my deteriorating mental health is obviously because of the job and I am making several serious errors of judgement because of it.
    They are very worried and think perhaps this job isn't for me as it's affecting my physical and mental health.
    They kept repeating "we are NOT saying there's the door, just we want you to think hard about if this job is for you"

Which is management speak for "you're useless to us, please consider leaving"

Fucking perfect. I was really struggling and doubting my own abilities, to have management come out and confirm that they too are doubting my abilities is just perfect :(

Feels like I'm spiraling into a deep fucking hole right now

Take a step back and look at what you've typed.

Serious errors in judgement
    Deteriorating mental health
    Affecting physical health

If they really said those things, That's not management speak. That's not doubting your abilities. That's flagging some serious concerns for both you and them.

I've had those talks with managers in the hospitality industry where you would genuinely be worried for them as much as the impact on the business. In your job, I can only imagine the levels of stress you can be put under and it is important you have the mental strength to deal with these things. And from your supervisors point of view, if they think this stress is causing you to make errors in judgement it would be severe negligence on their part not to raise the issue. I'm not saying the above to have a go at you but I think they have raised some genuine concerns.

The good thing is that they haven't said your gone so you can turn it around. As Dinostar says, ask for help and try your absolute best.

But do remember with the best effort some jobs don't suit people. It's not just about ability, it's the mental strength. I have the skills and a good bit of knowledge to cook at a Michelin star level and I did.... For a bit. but it was not pleasant for me to do as a job 6 days a week, 12 to 14 hours a day. It was a horrible 6 weeks of my life. I can only imagine how hard being a police officer is at any level. I don't think I could deal with that job.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It must be really frightening to be unemployed right now. You read stories of 1000 people applying for 1 role. Nuts. Brother in law lost his job. Managed to get a 3 month mortgage holiday, but is driving my sister mad because hes in that mentality of i only want to do certain jobs related to what i did in my previous role. Well if there are no vacancies, then you know what, man the fuck up and take anything to keep the mortgage and bills paid and put food on the table. He drives me mad.

You can offer him all the advice in the world, but hes just lazy and wont listen. Tailor your cv for the job your applying for. Chase a company up if you are told you are getting a 2nd round interview and havent heard anything for weeks. Work on your interview skills. Do some free training while your employed. Just dont stay in bed till midday and watch tv all night.

My sisters wages cant cover all the bills and in they will lose their flat of he doesnt get a move on. But he doesnt seem to have a fire lit on his backside to make him get up and do something about it.

Just a rant but im worried about my sister. She deserves better.
  • I have developed concerns just reading this thread tbh. The problem is money, but if money were no object, would you do this job? That's my question
  • Can't imagine what it's like having no job

*twiddles thumbs*
  • I have developed concerns just reading this thread tbh. The problem is money, but if money were no object, would you do this job? That's my question

It's a fair question but sometimes a job is just to get the money in.

Not having the restaurant for nearly 6 months has made me realise how much I enjoyed that side of my job. The buzz, the staff and customer interaction, the feeling of satisfaction at the end of a busy but smooth night. Sadly, it may be a workplace that never comes back.

SFV - reddave360
  • I don't disagree. But wookie has a decision to make - fake it till you make it, or go for something else. Whatever the decision, make it full heartedly, no regrets.
  • I think and i maybe wrong, very few of us work in a role that we love or are passionate about. Alot of the time its about paying bills and putting food on the table.

If your working in an industry you love then that makes work much more enjoyable. Easier said than done.
  • I would agree about a lack of passion but I do think work does really help. If I wasn’t working I’d be wanking all day and buying crap off amazon. I would miss the sort of routine and the real pressure to do stuff.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I think and i maybe wrong, very few of us work in a role that we love or are passionate about. Alot of the time its about paying bills and putting food on the table.

If your working in an industry you love then that makes work much more enjoyable. Easier said than done.

You don't have to be passionate or in love with a job to get some enjoyment out of it. The worst workmates or conditions will sap the joy out of any job, whee as good conditions and fellow work mates can make a dull job so much more enjoyable.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You'd do something you enjoyed though if money didn't matter.
  • I think i would do nothing but watch Netflix Or play games. It would be easy but I don’t think i would be enjoying it.
  • You'd do something you enjoyed though if money didn't matter.

Of course. But Even without the money thing, I'd like an activity where I could earn some form of kudos. It's a big driving factor in many things I do and enjoy. Doing something that brings a smile to someone's face is a hell of a buzz.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Fuck most jobs. People who enjoy doing pointless tasks for the sake of structure in their day should of course be free to continue doing so, but I’d be much happier with more free time
  • I really envy people who only have to work for the things they choose to consume
  • Fuck most jobs. People who enjoy doing pointless tasks for the sake of structure in their day should of course be free to continue doing so, but I’d be much happier with more free time

Its not pointless tasks though if you get a kick out of it and fuck you for putting down what other people enjoy doing  (I mean that in a friendly way) For many of us, when we have free time we would structure it in some form to get the most from it. I dont know what free time means to you but it is different things to each person. The only difference to me from Free time to Job time isnt what you are doing but rather do you have to do it or do you just want to. I've cooked in Kitchens for free to help mates out and enjoyed it a hell of a lot. Musicians play their instruments in their 'free' time and as part of their job. Whats the difference?
    SFV - reddave360
  • On a sidenote anyone who gets invited to reddaves house when hes cooking must be in for a treat. Michellin star level cooking hey? Your missus must love when you cook.
  • He does fish finger sandwiches at home.
  • Like is said, fuck most jobs. A consumer-led economy doesn’t create jobs and obligations out of the desire for people to fulfill said task. If this doesn’t apply to you, you’re one of the lucky ones. Most people don’t fall into this category.

Personally I’d rather have less choice of consumables and more people doing the things that make them happy. Sure, retain the option/incentive of doing depressing work for financial gain for those who are so inclined, but remove the obligation. I’m sure there’s a balance to be found somewhere, but the reality is that a significant fraction of society are compelled to do mind-numbing, repetitive and pointless tasks. Tasks that make them miserable- that deeply affect their mental health- in order keep themselves off the streets. It’s total bollocks
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I suspect that the things that davy thinks noxy is "putting down" are either
    - things noxy is not actually putting down or
    - things that could be better in a world without the need for shitty jobs
    but maybe not I don't know what jobs we're meaning and I'm just putting words in both your mouths so shrug.

(I don't think noxy is saying we shouldn't have chefs who enjoy cheffing, say)
  • I can't imagine many people answering the phone to dickheads in their spare time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Elf rang me once so dunno
  • He does fish finger sandwiches at home.

Unfortunately my wife is not into fancy food. I have to wait until a dinner party before I get to really go to town. And the Kitchen gets wrecked doing it. Obviously I really enjoy cooking be it in a restaurant kitchen or at home but they are miles apart in the appeal. Even in a simple steak house, you can have a lot of fun if its busy and you aim to make sure each steak is perfect.  

But in regards Food Quality - Michelien doesnt mean the best tasting food. Its really the polish that goes with it. You can have food that is just as tasty from any level of cooking if the Chef is into what they are doing. Michelian should be seen as the Triple A games industry. Lots of spit and polish, and for a chef its very intense. You are under pressure for a lot of the time cooking in any restaurant thats busy but Michelian demands and attention to detail which adds an extra lair of intensity which didnt see with me. There are more skills in cooking at that level but thats not always the case. Some Michelian dishes are quite simple but require a real awareness of timing and seasoning. I can do it but I'm a really grumpy fucker at the end of the week. Doesnt suit me at all. Some Chefs trive in it so each to their own. I've had Michelian Chefs crumble in some of my kitchens as they cant multi-task as well as other chefs. 
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I suspect that the things that davy thinks noxy is "putting down" are either - things noxy is not actually putting down or - things that could be better in a world without the need for shitty jobs but maybe not I don't know what jobs we're meaning and I'm just putting words in both your mouths so shrug. (I don't think noxy is saying we shouldn't have chefs who enjoy cheffing, say)

You're probably right - I just dont think any of us have the right to say to any else what they enjoy should fall into one thing or another. We are all different beasts both at work and at play. I gather Noxy is more against the notion that you have to work, which is fine I dont mind that. I just really took umbridge with the sneery attack on people who like structure in their life and enjoy feeling productive.

It would be the same as me saying those who dont are just lazy tossers.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!