Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I'm not sure how many situations these days people would be in where they don't have the ability to check information.
  • In general I would argue it is better to check information.
  • My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming...
    Shit.

Cocko, do you know the content on these exams?

And how do you figure that governmental views on the importance is an extension due to school views of this? It's the other way around.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ... Cocko, do you know the content on these exams? And how do you figure that governmental views on the importance is an extension due to school views of this? It's the other way around.

The publication of league tables was the prompt that started the ever decreasing circle of reliance between schools, parents, and government. So rather than argue about chicken and egg I think we can agree that the importance placed on exam results is ridiculously high. In fact it's created an industry where exam boards compete to make exams that are "easier" so that more schools buy them to get higher grades. This led to over a dozen exam boards becoming consolidated into two monster companies (AQA and Edexcel) with little other competition, and also a situation where grades have to be split according to individual scores as "too many" people were achieveing A and A*, so now only x% can get any grade and it comes down to individual points scored and weighting of those points within specific questions. In fact it's probably more tactically sound to start your exam paper from the back and work towards the front

edit: chicken and egg, I think I worded the by extension, becasue government has changed a fair few times since league tables were first published, and I believe that the importance they place on them now is a reflection of their electorate, as it's no longer "their" egg, generational shift etc
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Ultimately I dont think 11 years of schooling should come down to 2 hours in a sweaty sports hall.

Would agree with that, but I don't think that's the fault of the exam, more the reliance on it as a sole method of assessment. I do think that for some of the sciences an exam is actually a very good way of finding out how much learning has been done. Less so for more "artistic" or "interpretive" subject

Plagiarism should be a pretty easy check nowadays with google books and the amount of deep learning conversation synthesis that goes on within that field
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Chicken and egg? Jesus.

Edit: No offense. But that's literally ridiculous.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Chicken and egg? Jesus. Edit: No offense. But that's literally ridiculous.

I thought I was clear on who I thought started the ball rolling, but that was 30 odd years ago, I don't think that ball keeps rolling without schools and parents being complicit in it

I'll happily be wrong and my experiences within the education are from five years ago, so please enlighten me as to what I've missed here. If it comes down to funding, well if schools didn't game the system by claiming children as SEN under spurious claims and then entering whole years into ALAN exams for extra league points, or falsifying attendance for years 12 and 13 as the legal duty of care is removed then maybe they could help push back against a failing system, rather than playing the game and complaining about it at the same time

this is not an attack on teachers, it's an attack on teaching and the way we assess it in this country
  • Ultimately, schools are 'complicit' because if they staff don't get the results, the bosses lose their jobs. If bosses fear for their jobs, some will twist rules. This is all down to the inspectorate and league tables. That is solely down to the government. It doesn't matter if it started last week or 30 years ago. It's these influences that cause gaming. It's these influences that cause schools to off-roll children, to be too flexible with SEN reporting, etc

It's all trickle down from Ofsted and the DfE.

It's all very sad.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Teachers have spent the majority of the past two in service days putting together evidence for sqa appeals.

And then that news.

Honest to God I think they've broken the teaching staff before the year has started.

And that doesn't include all our covid prep.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wow that is big news
  • Thank fuck for that. Now they need an investigation into why it happened, why poorer area students were singled out predominantly.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Thank fuck for that. Now they need an investigation into why it happened, why poorer area students were singled out predominantly.
    poorer students were pushed up actually.

Edit

Wait my brain is mush from dealing with this and then not sleeping with baby.
    Yes, liv, sorry you are right.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I do know a bit of the maths behind it and a bit of the working behind it and it is heartbreaking, and what teachers were suggested to do is also heartbreaking.

There will be a huge reckoning next year for any school who chanced it because we currently have a national average of Advanced Higher passes that are 93.7% so if teachers tried to make themselves look good, they're gonna be asked to account for a 30% drop next year (as is the standard). We were as stringent as possible so won't be affected but I have heard of some schools who will

This is one of the biggest SNP fuck ups, and independence aside, should NOT be forgotten by any compassionate voter.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    All I can say is a lot of teachers today are fucking exhausted and potentially heartbroken
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    and the kids aren't back yet.
  • Ive lost the will today. Its too feckin hot. Im looking at a network diagram which is just confusing (networking isnt a speciality of mine). I've been thrown in the deep end as an interim for someone whos on longterm sick and the work is piling up. This isnt even a job i am qualified for. Just doing it as im between projects and they need the help. Early lunch i think.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    first day back post Covid for pupils, new rules etc.

The SQA thing yesterday.

And I came in this morning to find our office flooded and my laptop fucked.

OOA1FBc.jpgyou could not write this shit.
  • Watch out for the crocodile H!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What I will say is it was GENUINELY so nice to teach a classroom of kids today. We only had S1 and S2 in today (11-13, roughly) and the s1 were absolutely delightful, I think excited about school, and learning to sanitize their desks and hands in entering and leaving rooms seemed very fun to them.

What was nicer was seeing the s2 kids, who I hadn't seen since March, and one of the classes gave me a round of applause when I came in (it may have been sarcastic) but what was amazing was when I asked both my s2 classes 'who missed school, be honest?' And in every class 99% raised their hands *

It has been nice and its the reason you do the teaching.

* the one kid was trying to be cool and also has a lot of needs. I had a chat with him after and he's had a rough time during lockdown :(
  • Waiting to hear on whether not I will get paid if I don't return to the office on Monday. I'm almost certain the answer will be no, which will leave me with a huge decision to make.
  • That is not nice at all.
  • Waiting to hear on whether not I will get paid if I don't return to the office on Monday. I'm almost certain the answer will be no, which will leave me with a huge decision to make.

Are you worried about going back to the office dante? Surely they have done the mandatory social distancing workplace stuff, no?

• I've become a C programmer by accident and now I have to meet people every now and again and look vaguely presentable. I even wore a shirt jeans combo the other day and shaved my head, trimmed beard. I even bought some clothes. 

I'm starting to worry this is snowballing so I'm going to start charging silly sums to do something I've only just taught myself via Youtube (and a stolen book pdf) and see what happens.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Learn C. Srysly.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Everyone should learn C
  • Should I learn C?

Yes you fucking should.
  • Muzzy is being whimsical but I'm saying it's the start of a career. It will teach you more about computers than any other language. If you learn C then you'll have the confidence to program in any language, and find it fairly easy as a result.
  • You have to enjoy programming though, thats a must and i hate programming.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!