Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Don't get me wrong, I love Python, but C has taught me more about language structure than Python ever will. In fact it's deffo made me a better Python coder.

It's not always easy starting out and keeping motivated. Codeclan look good but it's a hell of an expense for a noob and it's full time, which is quite a financial commitment. If I was starting from scratch I'd do cs50. It's a free Hardvard course and is really excellent. If you finish that right to the end, and do all the problem sets, you'll be in a better position to know if quitting your job and doing something like Codeclan is for you.

This year's Cs50 starts on the 2nd Sept.

https://cs50.harvard.edu/college/2020/fall/
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • https://online-learning.harvard.edu/course/cs50s-introduction-game-development

Course description
    In a quest to understand how video games themselves are implemented, you'll explore the design of such childhood games as: Super Mario Bros., Pong, Flappy Bird, Breakout, Match 3, Legend of Zelda, Angry Birds, Pokémon, 3D Helicopter Game, Dreadhalls, and Portal.

Via lectures and hands-on projects, the course explores principles of 2D and 3D graphics, animation, sound, and collision detection using frameworks like Unity and LÖVE 2D, as well as languages like Lua and C#. By class’s end, you'll have programmed several of your own games and gained a thorough understanding of the basics of game design and development.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fffuuucckk me that has been a week.

Covid
    Grade changes
    Flooding

It comes in threes. Anyway, I'm now out for a week of paternity leave so you know what that means lads its doritos dr pepper and me fucking caning the Master Chief Collection*

Spoiler:
  • He can play as the Arbiter.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He'd do a better job.
  • Well, the boss is in France which kinda makes me the boss for a couple more weeks after she returns.
    Trouble is it coincides with Covid risk assessment meetings and the IT upgrade managing to lose all of our databases... At least she can do some of the chasing up remotely from quarantine.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Well, the boss is in France which kinda makes me the boss for a couple more weeks after she returns. Trouble is it coincides with Covid risk assessment meetings and the IT upgrade managing to lose all of our databases... At least she can do some of the chasing up remotely from quarantine.

Well you've got one thing to put down on it at least.
  • So that's my last wfh shift. No answer yet on what happens if I dont go in on Monday, but my boss was off today, so I'll probably hear tomorrow.

I'm fairly certain I won't get paid anything, so its just a question if there are any repercussions for not going in. If its the case they say you can stay off but its unpaid, I'm 99% certain I'll be doing it. I've enough savings that I can deal with a couple of weeks, maybe a month, and in that time hopefully things will have improved, or if not they have sent everyone home.
  • So that's my last wfh shift. No answer yet on what happens if I dont go in on Monday, but my boss was off today, so I'll probably hear tomorrow. I'm fairly certain I won't get paid anything, so its just a question if there are any repercussions for not going in. If its the case they say you can stay off but its unpaid, I'm 99% certain I'll be doing it. I've enough savings that I can deal with a couple of weeks, maybe a month, and in that time hopefully things will have improved, or if not they have sent everyone home.

Have they said why they want to bring everyone back in? It really sounds a crazy decision.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Couple of weeks back I applied for a job at NetworkN, a group that do a bunch of games related stuff including PCgamesN, as they were hiring a cohort of 6 new writers. Response deadline was today, and I didn't get it, but at the very least a pal who works for them knows that I was on the competitive longlist, which given the number of applicants was good. It won't put food on the table, but it's some decent news at least.
  • Yep, I'd take the positives from that. Wasn't your time this round, but at least it shows you're more than capable, or "ready", etc. You know what I mean.

Onwards!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Work has today rejected a manager of 10 years and another manager of 8 years for a senior management role

Instead they have chosen a project manager fromhead office who is on secondment with us for four months instead. She leaves us before Christmas.

The blatant politics is making me piss myself with laughter.
  • Fucking hate workplace politics
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I am seeing loads of senior management redundancies pop up on my Linkedin.
    All with the sickening "It's time to end my wonderful 10 year journey here at Titwank Associates...".

I bet your experienced managers wanted more than the project manager.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Shes still on her project manager wage for the entire time shes with us so technically costs more.
  • Why all the project manager hate?  All we do is 1) take credit for a job done well when the engineers don't fuck up and 2) blame the engineers when the PM fucks up.  Back the fuck off.
  • EAT YOUR DINNER!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • YOU EAT YOUR FUCKING DINNER *makes note to blame g when realises haven't asked procurement to order the dinners*
  • I'm eating my dinner right now :)
  • That's because I made sure procurement ordered it.
  • Did you not see the email mid chain Unlikely forwarded and didn't follow up on?
  • Hold on while I check my SPAM folder.
  • Work has today rejected a manager of 10 years and another manager of 8 years for a senior management role

Instead they have chosen a project manager fromhead office who is on secondment with us for four months instead. She leaves us before Christmas.

Fit?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • g.man wrote:
    Hold on while I check my SPAM folder.

He means his dinner btw.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Aye, it's what we call a ham wrap in this neck of the woods.
  • I didnt realise Alton Towers was open.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Work has today rejected a manager of 10 years and another manager of 8 years for a senior management role

Fit?

Dunno, she doesnt even work in the office. We are Greater Manc, shes in Leicester.
  • Woo!

Probably ultra fit but with corona.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Couple of weeks back I applied for a job at NetworkN, a group that do a bunch of games related stuff including PCgamesN, as they were hiring a cohort of 6 new writers. Response deadline was today, and I didn't get it, but at the very least a pal who works for them knows that I was on the competitive longlist, which given the number of applicants was good. It won't put food on the table, but it's some decent news at least.

That sucks, obviously, but I’m glad you can see the positives there and, hopefully, that spurs you to keep applying - your applications are being seen and you’re being considered. It’s super fucking tough right now to get a writing gig, so keep plugging.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!