Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I always enjoyed the black and white-ness of numbers in school, if that helps.
  • Do you wear glasses, SG? Wondering because I gather you can't c#...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Got an interview next week for a fairly large promotion.

New structure in place has 15 new roles available, all more senior than my current and because im currently a (lower end) senior role we get first dibs where essentially if we dont piss in the boss' face at the interview have a very good chance. Past 4 months of lockdown has created opportunity for myself and other assistant TMs in the areas we want.

Mine isI T and so three roles available for my needs. 12 manager/team leader roles also available but I hate management so noped out of those.
  • I always enjoyed the black and white-ness of numbers in school, if that helps.

A few points.

1. You can learn C for free via the internet and the more you learn the more you will appreciate it (like any human language ever).
    2. How much do you like your current job? Money isn't everything.
    3. Learning C is like learning Latin, it's a pain in the arse at times but it will give you such a broad view it's like the advantage of a posh school. The other languages will instantly make more sense and be easier to learn.
    4. There's a lot of paid work in C. It's old but learn it well and you'll be paid better than the kids doing Python.
    5. It's genuinely fun. It's still a language, and that means you can do what the fuck you like with it as practice.
    6. You don't need a university education to get work doing any kind of programming.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • 1 & 6 have my ears.

I often get ads for free Skillshare subs. Might take a punt.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Do you wear glasses, SG? Wondering because I gather you can't c#...

I know Python very well but decided to do C because of a general computer science interest. The jobs I'm getting now are pure C (99 edition) because there's so much old stuff still out there using it. It pays way better than the modern stuff.
  • Mine was a shit joke, sorry.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Get a free month on LinkedIn learning if you can too, no doubt they will have a C learning path (a collection of courses) that you could complete in the free month to get you started.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Mine was a shit joke, sorry.

Missed that!
  • nick_md wrote:

I lol's when i read it
  • 1 & 6 have my ears. I often get ads for free Skillshare subs. Might take a punt.

You don't need to spend anything but it takes time. The time is the problem.

Watch every one of these and then watch them again. Pause, rewind, slow it down and take it at your own pace. Watch the same 2 mins over and over agin if you have to. There's a lot to take in so don't be scared about the speed of info. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLME-KWdxI8dcaHSzzRsNuOLXtM2Ep_C7a

Download a copy of Let Us C pdf.

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-I-get-PDF-version-of-book-Let-Us-C-by-Yashwant-Kanetkars

Do all the exercises.

Then watch all the youtube videos again.

Then go through this book. Click on the top link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+c+programming+language+pdf&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB914GB914&oq=the+c+programming+language&aqs=chrome.0.35i39j46j35i39j0l2j46j0.6986j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you can get through that book you'll know enough to get a job.
  • And there's also CS50, which rightfully teaches C first.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IWantToLearn/comments/9zqq66/i_want_to_learn_computer_science_where_do_i_start/

Do all the things.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

I lol's when i read it

Vindicated! :)
  • Why learn C out of interest?

I don't really see the appeal but I've never used it.

• Working on an old language and a bunch of old systems sounds really poo. I deal with enough legacy code bases that I wouldn't recommend actively looking for them even if the money is good.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Waiting to hear on whether not I will get paid if I don't return to the office on Monday. I'm almost certain the answer will be no, which will leave me with a huge decision to make.

Are you worried about going back to the office dante? Surely they have done the mandatory social distancing workplace stuff, no?

They have but its an unnecessary risk. Since April 21st when I was last in the office I've only left the house to go food shopping, and on a couple of occasions to see my sister. Preston where the office is and most people live is the second highest transmission area in the country, behind Blackburn, where the rest of them live.

Its total madness.
  • Most operating systems Frosty are written in C. It's because it's blindingly fast. The reason it's blindingly fast is because it's written in a language that speaks to the hardware more efficiently. And the reason it's efficient is because it requires some understanding on a deeper level. And the reason it requires understanding on a deeper level is exactly the reason that will get you a better paid job. And the deeper the understanding the better and more satisfying your job will be.
  • The last thing I programmed was a cricket game on a Video Genie. Not only do I not remember any of the code, I dont even know what language it was.
  • As if that's a barrier.
  • As if that's a barrier.

More of a sticky wicket.
  • Especially if you get stumped.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Waiting to hear on whether not I will get paid if I don't return to the office on Monday. I'm almost certain the answer will be no, which will leave me with a huge decision to make.
    Are you worried about going back to the office dante? Surely they have done the mandatory social distancing workplace stuff, no?
    They have but its an unnecessary risk. Since April 21st when I was last in the office I've only left the house to go food shopping, and on a couple of occasions to see my sister. Preston where the office is and most people live is the second highest transmission area in the country, behind Blackburn, where the rest of them live. Its total madness.

From the pure stand point of should they pay you if you dont come to work - I would think that absolutely not. You agreed to be employed by these guys to work for them. If you want to stay home, even if you feel you can do the job, its not really up to you.

That being said though, it sounds like your work has been doing work from home now for a while. That being the case why on Earth do they want to bring you all back in and risk just one unlucky employee bringing Covid-19 and shutting everything down? If my business could be done from home, damn right I'd be keeping my staff at home.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Most operating systems Frosty are written in C. It's because it's blindingly fast. The reason it's blindingly fast is because it's written in a language that speaks to the hardware more efficiently. And the reason it's efficient is because it requires some understanding on a deeper level. And the reason it requires understanding on a deeper level is exactly the reason that will get you a better paid job. And the deeper the understanding the better and more satisfying your job will be.

I mean that last part is true about pretty much everything.

I can totally see why you're into C and the academic side of it but man that is not for me.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Do you wear glasses, SG? Wondering because I gather you can't c#...

YES!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm also hesitant about C being the language to recommend learning first tbh. The Latin thing is about right - the downside being if you went to go ok holiday to France it's less rapidly useful. Python is easier to learn, doesn't need a compiler and with dynamic interpreters of much easier to muck about with, and it's less likely to have folk bouncing off it, and still has plenty of jobs.

I get that competitiveness of the employment market is relevant to some, and (for its segments) C is maybe less competitive at least amongst new-entry roles, but that's not the only factor to consider, and likely the calibre of folk applying for those jobs will be higher too making then maybe harder to get?

The proper answer is probably too learn Rust instead... live the future... more and more folk ditching C for it cos it's richer and as fast etc. Surveys say it had dinner if the happiest and best paid coders... But it probably has the downsides of C from above but even more so... :-/
  • Noobs should try python for a couple of weeks. If you stick at programming, you’ll use it at some point anyway. And if you don’t get on with it, you’re unlikely to get on with anything else.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yep, that basically. Thinking algorithmically probably isn't for everyone, but is basically universal, independent of language.
  • I don't know anything about coding but I know two people in Glasgow who've done a course with Code Clan and are now both working as full-time coders. Might be worth a look if anyone is considering this line of work.
  • I don’t really code anymore. I just use python now for the odd thing that would take too long or be too boring to do manually. But having worked as a programmer, I would say two things need to happen for it to be for you.
    1) There should be some ‘wow’ moment when you’re learning. Some bit where you’ve done something in minutes that would have taken you days to do before. You’ve just ripped through it and now that mind-numbing chore is actually fun. You’ve just got a sense of the power of it and the possibilities have opened up in front of you.
    2) Your code has gone wrong and you’ve got no idea why. You’ve now got to trace through it all step by step, learning something along the way. A logic puzzle you need to crack. This isn’t usually fun but it’s satisfying. If it isn’t satisfying to solve it, then have a think because this is a lot of the job.

Other than that, it’s so broad that it can take you anywhere. SG is right in the sense that the more you know, and the deeper you go, the better it is. But that’s hard work and not for everyone, which is why the jobs can be better paid. You might find you’re happy just knocking out well-functioning websites using pre-made tools, no maths and don’t need to go too deep.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    For folk here, mucking about with a game scripting somethingorother mightn't be a bad way to dip your toes in too...??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!