Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Just got a phone call from work saying they have to announce that I am at risk for redundancy, not ideal given y’know, everything that’s going on
  • That sucks mate.
    Just be sure they are following the correct procedures, if nothing else they may buy you a month of employment.
  • I need to read my contract and see how it’s all defined tbh. Things just keep going from bad to worse, that job was my last real safety net. Dunno what’s next. Benefits for sure, but employment? God knows.
  • I feel for you mate likewise HBJ, it is really rough.

First thing to check with your employer is if your role is being made redundant or if they are cutting back on staff numbers. If they are just cutting numbers you need to be assessed against everyone else with the same job role as yourself regardless of contractual hours.
    It is rough but like I say forcing them to follow the rules gives you time.
  • We’re a very small company so it’ll be the latter, but by the sound of the phone call the cuts are gonna he really harsh. We’ll see.
  • Yeah, I've got a phone consultation with my gm tomorrow morning. My only question is: how much? How much if any redundancy am I likely to get given I started in March? If its anything decent I'll hold on for it, but I'm not hopeful.
  • There's a government calculator online that will let you know the minimum.  It'll be a tiny amount.  Fingers crossed they offer more than they  need to.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    There's a government calculator online that will let you know the minimum.  It'll be a tiny amount.  Fingers crossed they offer more than they  need to.

My gaffer mentioned enhanced redundancy, they did it a couple of years ago when they got rid of full time poker dealers. But obviously business was good then, they could afford to. Think I'll be off first chance I get.
  • Dunno my details but for me statutory is like £240, ha!
  • Just checked the calculator, I'm entitled to exactly 3/4 of fuck all as I haven't worked there for 2 years.
  • Got some meeting in at work on Friday. There will be a consultation period of one week. Official letter etc, doesn't sound too optimistic. Sounds like their revenue has been shafted over the last three months.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Got some meeting in at work on Friday. There will be a consultation period of one week. Official letter etc, doesn't sound too optimistic. Sounds like their revenue has been shafted over the last three months.

Cant say its the same over in the UK but a consultancy period for redundancy doesn't mean quite what you might think. It might just mean they need to shed some but not all staff but by law (here anyway) everyone in the company must be notified.

I'm at this point now in our company. We've put off redundancies for ages but lockdown has gone twice as long as we thought and the market wont be there even when we do. But we have to notify all staff even though we know certain positions are safe based on how many staff are needed to run certain parts of the business. 

I'm not looking forward to doing redundancies and pay cuts, but that's where we are at now.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Oh I mean that the rest of the letter doesn't sound too optimistic, vs that specific consultancy bit. It's very much "we're fucked!" but in very diplomatic writing.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    On the plus side, you're probably one of the cheaper options for them to retain. It makes no economic sense for as many forms to hold onto middle management the way they often do
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • They don't have any middle management
  • Had a redundancy consultation call with my gaffer this morning. It's just a box ticking exercise for me though, calling my job 'at risk' is quite misleading - it won't exist after the 29th of July.

Not to worry. Thanks to some absolute gentlemen on here, I've got a start at a new job on Monday, just need to send some forms back.

Hope you get a result tempy, fingers crossed.
  • That's great news HBJ.
    Well done anonymous badgers.
  • That's fantastic news!
  • That’s great news for you Scott. Congratulations.
    Tempy, well, I hope something good happens for you soon.
  • I tell you what, I nearly got whiplash from the turnaround reading that post. Glad things are looking up again BawJaws.
  • Qtyur50.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is that Biden?
  • Love the guy in the middle who doesn’t know what he’s clapping for.
  • Nice one anon badger!
  • @Tempy

If you can try to go in on Friday open minded to the situation.
    They may look to offer contract changes before redundancy. So they may ask to change your hours or rate of pay (although changing pay would be opportunistic rather than something that could actually save the company).

Try to have a think about at what point a redundancy cheque is better than hours, don't be afraid to push them on how they feel that will go, would a change of hours be temporary etc.

Speak to them about furlough options as well.
    From July they can have you back part time with the gov making up the rest of the 80% however it is the first month they have to pay business NI contributions. If they cant afford those they are in massive trouble and I would suggest getting out while you can still get a redundancy cheque.
    The same is true for August.

From September they must pay a minimum of 10% of salary (gov 70%) and October 20% (gove 60%).

If it is looking like game over I would push to be kept on until the end of August as a minimum. It will only cost them NI contributions which are peanuts and they can bring you in part time if needed.
  • I'll do my best. It was never going to be a sustainable job after Uni tbh, wavering between 400-800 a month based on what hours I could get beyond minimum was always going to be fraught without the uni payments topping me up.

The main reason it is stressing me out so much at the moment is that it's just another in a big long list of issues, first and foremost is trying to focus on Uni despite being depressed as fuck. 

I have bundled enough money aside to mean I can probably survive to the end of the year no issue on jobseekers alone, so not having to work for the rest of my project time might actually be good news, if I can sort myself out. Big if though. Hard not to spend every day ruing every decision i've ever made whilst I grind my face against zBrush, which I actually enjoy WHEN I get into it, but it takes a while at the minute.
  • On that rate I dont think they are making NI contributions at all for you so keep that in mind. They could keep you until the end of August with just some basic paperwork they have already been doing.

That's good that you can sustain yourself and I'm sure the extra time will help.
  • photo.jpg
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • Wasn't sure whether to post in this thread or the coronavirus one ... looks like I've decided to post here.  

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home.  Our organisation's senior management is planning a one day a week return to the office to engage in activities that can't be accomplished at home.  These are all very soft things that involve strategic planning and having to be in to have a quality conversation etc.  I've made my arguments on how their plan doesn't comply with current guidance and that this kind of work can be done remotely, even if quality suffers a bit for it.  This is probably going to fall on deaf ears because the Chief Operating Officer wants this to happen.  

I know I can walk out of an unsafe work environment but do I have any recourse if I'm called into a safe work environment but end up doing exactly what I am now but in the office instead?  I don't suppose there is, short of discussing with my line manager who also has a hard on for returning to the office.  

I simply can't envision how much strategy there is for lowly me to contribute to on a weekly basis, and would take ALL day to boot.  It's the flimsiest justification for getting us back to the office but HR are in agreement that this seems reasonable.  

I'm also considering joining a union and could do with knowing who the better ones are.  I work an admin role within the NHS.  

Any help much appreciated, Badgers.
  • That's one for @Gremill
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!