Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Those were for a September start. I don't really understand how the whole teaching jobs thing works but I know there's set times that jobs come and set deadlines for applying and handing in notices etc.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I don't know the ins and outs but that sounds illegal? You can't force someone to resign before applying to others
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Ah, right.

So because of the need to find something closer, she's handed in her notice (as, yes, you need to give a fair bit of notice) and then hasn't managed to find a new job.

Well that fucking sucks.
  • That's it tiger. It sucks major balls.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • There’ll be people having babies in around October I bet. There’s always maternity.
  • Also people chickening out of returning to schools and retiring early /sacking it off. Just wait.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I think the problem she may have hit currently is everyone else staying put.
  • Can she not just un-hand her notice in at the current place?
  • I have some confirmed work finally.
    Almost 3 months to the day since I last worked.
  • I've been getting a few bits of freelance writing here and there, but now it's almost completely stopped. I've got a few short reviews in the pipeline and then that's it, unless any of my latest pitches get picked up, which isn't likely.

The problem really is not knowing when it'll recover. I can handle a quiet summer, but after that I'll need more. Going to try and prepare as much as possible to apply for other freelance work - copywriting, proofreading - and hope there's some of that available.

Anyway, it's obviously shit that many of us are going through at the moment. So empathy all round.
  • Saw a Twitter post from a company looking for someone to proof read game dialogue, being written by a Spanish writer in English, if that's up your street?  Can't remember who retweeted it.
  • @Jon
    Yeah the not knowing has been precisely my problem, that rainy day fund only stretches so far.
    It is inherent with freelancing but never to this degree.

I suspect it is going to get tougher going forwards for PAYE, unfortunately there will be redundancies.
  • Times are fucking awful.

I am generally worried about going back to work, cos I'll likely be on less than my furloughed wage for a few months thanks to being stripped back to minimum hours. The only reason I can pay rent and bills comfortably at the moment is because of my meagre uni bursary. When that stops in September, i'm shit out of luck unless I can 
    1) make writing happen in between constant 3D design practice  
    2) get a new job that doesn't make me slip into pit of depression 
    3) luck out on some more hours.

Given my luck, my pitching history, and my long, long list of knockbacks from jobs over the past 3 years, I am not holding out much hope.

It's a constant black cloud over my head, and I hate it.
  • Can't you apply for universal credit to top your wage up? Might at least get housing benefit.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Can't you apply for universal credit to top your wage up? Might at least get housing benefit.

I need to look into this after the Furlough stuff, the issue is how up and down my wage is, I'm constantly living off the fat months during the thin months, I dunno how this squares with UC yet.
  • Also I wish you all the luck with your job hunt too, I imagine it's so much harder for you than it is me at the minute - don't forget there's help on here if you need it too.
  • Tempy wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Can't you apply for universal credit to top your wage up? Might at least get housing benefit.
    I need to look into this after the Furlough stuff, the issue is how up and down my wage is, I'm constantly living off the fat months during the thin months, I dunno how this squares with UC yet.

I'm not sure on the exact complexities but I believe the routine goes that you are given a decided amount every month.
    For every pound you earn per month you keep a small percentage (about 30%), until you pay back that decided amount, then you keep 100% minus normal taxes.

It is hard to describe but if you are a low earner with irregular hours you should definitely look into it.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Saw a Twitter post from a company looking for someone to proof read game dialogue, being written by a Spanish writer in English, if that's up your street?  Can't remember who retweeted it.
    That would work, yeah. Any way you could find it?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Also I wish you all the luck with your job hunt too, I imagine it's so much harder for you than it is me at the minute - don't forget there's help on here if you need it too.

Thanks mate. I'm currently adopting the tory crisis management method - sticking my head in the sand and ignoring it. Apparently it'll be around the end of July before I'm officially let go, I'm sure my posts will become increasingly despairing as it gets closer!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a weird thing in my but of teaching Vs normal teachers but before he holidays the work piles up rather than down as we worry about vulnerable kids over Summer.

Today I've had 5 meetings throughout the day between 90 mins to 2 hours , which would be an anomaly during normal school time, but I've also had the screen time. A weird thing we have commented on is that during, say a Teams meeting, you are on hyperawareness that wouldn't be in place in other meetings. That's because you can see yourself and your own facial reactions, so there is an extra level of performative was.

I'm fucking exhausted. And yet the young people I met today were so wonderful, articulate and i just want them to succeed.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's a weird thing in my but of teaching Vs normal teachers but before he holidays the work piles up rather than down as we worry about vulnerable kids over Summer.

Today I've had 5 meetings throughout the day between 90 mins to 2 hours , which would be an anomaly during normal school time, but I've also had the screen time. A weird thing we have commented on is that during, say a Teams meeting, you are on hyperawareness that wouldn't be in place in other meetings. That's because you can see yourself and your own facial reactions, so there is an extra level of performative was.

I'm fucking exhausted. And yet the young people I met today were so wonderful, articulate and i just want them to succeed.

That's quite interesting and possibly very through. I'm finding the video medium OK but I do feel whacked if I have a few in a row. 5 x 90 minutes is an awful lot though.
    SFV - reddave360
  • However you look at it those Zoom/Teams things just aren't natural. I'm not surprised your brain is fried after an intense day of it.
  • I'm usually the only one who turns their camera on in Zoom meetings, been that way for 2 years since we rolled it out. Not sure why I do it really, but I do.

@wookie, My wife applied for another teaching job recently and it was also a fucking nightmare. She applied, and told them not to tell her school yet as she wanted to tell them herself if she was called for an interview (mainly because they're absolute lunatics and she knew they would kick off if they found out... yeah that's why she was leaving) but they ignored her request and told the headmaster. He sent a nasty email about 'her character' and before she even had the interview, they put her job up online for people to apply.

She didn't get the job, but now had her current job yelling at her for not giving enough notice (she gave them her contracted notice), and she couldn't bear to go back there. I told her just to resign and give notice anyway, which she did, and we were slightly worried... however next day she had another interview and nailed it, and is starting after summer hols. 

Her current school are making her go in 3x a week for her year 10 class, of which ONE student is attending, so she has to teach online via zoom, run to the car and get to the school for her lesson with ONE student, whilst also teaching it over zoom for those who aren't coming in, then zoom back home to continue teaching over Zoom. Yeah. She had to wrestle me away from the phone a few times from those pricks.
  • JonB wrote:
    Saw a Twitter post from a company looking for someone to proof read game dialogue, being written by a Spanish writer in English, if that's up your street?  Can't remember who retweeted it.
    @JonB

https://twitter.com/Deconstructeam/status/1273199547083259904?s=20
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But wait is JonB fascist scum?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But wait is JonB fascist scum?

Uh oh, have I missed something about those people?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No, it's in their job spec!
  • Elmlea wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    @JonB https://twitter.com/Deconstructeam/status/1273199547083259904?s=20
    That looks like a decent gig, thanks. Not sure I'll be quite right for it, but worth a shot.
  • regmcfly wrote:

I almost broke down today. Meetings from 9.30 to 4, varying intensity. Hour for lunch spent in prep. I ate spaghetti (like, 200g or so) with a can of tinned octopus on top. I was fucking done after eating.
  • I can't explain what it is, but these remote meetings are doing me in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!