Work - The pros and the cons...
  • How does redundancy work in the UK? Cineworld lost 1.3 billion or something last report I saw due to the covid lockdown. Can they avail of government support if they are forced to pay redundancy for 5000 plus staff? (Point being they might not have the money to pay the redundancy and still be in a position to reopen should the covid restrictions lift)
    SFV - reddave360
  • So I've been offered my new job role pending security clearance checks which should take 3-4 weeks.

I've been on the phone all morning with my union representative discussing best way to hand my resignation in and i'm following his advice and handing it in today. He's working behind the scenes to get me the best deal and if it all works out I will technically be able to hand all my shit in today and then be able to walk away with the next two weeks on my sick note and then my final day being my date due to return to work with my two weeks annual leave paid to me in my final pay check. 

The union have been amazing and I'm so thankful I've paid into them from day one. 
    Feels like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • So I've been offered my new job role pending security clearance checks which should take 3-4 weeks.

Wookie is going to be a spy, calling it now.

Sounds like it's worked out well and I'm really pleased it has.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Wookie is going to be a spy, calling it now.

Or …
    Spoiler:
  • Absolute cheers and best wishes to the ward staff who called us to collect a "code 33" (deceased) and not even zipping the fucking bag up fully!! Had a face looking back at me, totally what I prepared myself for!! Cheers folks, absolutely love it!!!!!

FML.
  • Jesus
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Basically told work to go fuck itself today. They made my previous role (Assistant team manager) redundant and I got moved back to frontline, however they continued to give me tasks to do, IT stuff, support etc. Whilst being moved back to frontline basic wages.

Went to the OPs Manager today saying thanks, but unless I'm given the opportunity of a temp role/seconded role and/or a pay rise I'd like to be frontline only. 'No roles available' (despite creating 4 seconded roles two days ago) - so lol fuck em. Not their lacky.
  • *raises fist*

On yersel, DS bro.
  • I think you made the right call there ds. It’s cheeky to ask for higher wage work from lower grade roles.
  • Yeah, that's shitty behaviour.
  • I feel there must be a lot of that going around. We bumped our head chef down in pay but the boss still kind of expects head chef work from him. Its a bit annoying but I get to act as a buffer on that.
    SFV - reddave360
  • If you've resigned, worth sending a constructive dismissal letter just to wrangle a cheque off em. They did make your role redundant after all
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If you've resigned, worth sending a constructive dismissal letter just to wrangle a cheque off em. They did make your role redundant after all

nah just back on frontline - got a sicknote for amended duties so don't have to do calls - indefinite length based on 'review'. Easy street, if very dull. Gives me freedom to play some games on my second screen all day though.
  • Ok goodo
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Microsoft presenters are amusingly incompetent at PowerPoint. Not even using SlideShow mode smh.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Half term

Thank fuck
  • So I had applied for a bunch of temp jobs at Tesco.  Shitty hours but better than starving on the dole.

Just looked at my account and see that I've been rejected for all of them.  How the fuck do you get rejected by fucking Tesco looking for Christmas staff??

Jesus fucking wept.
  • Probably because you are overqualified / they are worried you'll talk back. Might be best to spread the word around people you know, swallow your pride. Seems more likely they will put in a word for you, personalise the thing.

Sorry Matt.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Microsoft presenters are amusingly incompetent at PowerPoint. Not even using SlideShow mode smh.

You have no idea how funny I find this.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Having to go into work...not having to go into work because of one positive case...
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Ugh. Nearly done with migration our service's file system over to Teams, but don't agree with the council's policy of doing this. Feels like there's one single point of failure and that's it (and it means I have to save local backups on my laptop of anything that isn't an ms office file if I need to edit it).
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yep ~ lost oversight of the entire company when there was a partitioning error within azure AD this year :/ chats get screwed not rendering images in chat on all platforms even if the image is only a few mins old
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • No idea if other businesses are the same, but is it normal practice to only have files accessible via MS Teams? Or were we behind the times navigating via shared drives?
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I think some kind of cloud-based storage, rather than server storage (shared folders on a file server located somewhere), is now the norm - haven't worked at a place with the latter for a long while.

But MS way of doing it (Sharepoint, Teams, any number of other apps and storage places) is mind boggling and awful.

Current gig uses Google Drive which works nicely.
  • We use one drive for most things with more sensitive stuff being part of cloud services such as bizimply and surf accounts.
    SFV - reddave360
  • We use every single option above which is a complete clusterfuck for support.

Teams, share point and one drive are all pretty terrible. Shared drives are more resilient but more expensive (better for lots of the types of files needed though tbh) and need vpn access etc to access from home.

Gdrive... is always a tough sell I find, but easily the best I’ve ever used and supported, not much to fault outside random user errors really. Unfortunately it’s barely used where I am currently though. I for sure will be looking for my next place to mainly use google business apps, I really miss it.
  • Got my resignation acceptance email and confirmed as my last day employed as the 23rd October.
    I'm going in tonight to meet my Sgt, clear out my locker and hand my badge and gear in.

Turns out leaving the force is a bit more involved than just throwing your badge and gun across the chiefs desk and storming out with a leather jacket thrown over one shoulder.

Still,as of Friday I'll be a full time civilian again. Both excited and sad, for all the stress, mental health issues and lack of sleep/strain on the family life there's no other job that will let me kick down a door and drag a drug dealer out of their house in cuffs.
    Means the next time I fight a criminal I might end up in custody...
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Sounds like it’s been a worthwhile adventure even though the force was ultimately not for you. I reckon you’ll look back on it fondly, eventually.
  • Means the next time I fight a criminal I might end up in custody...

I appreciated this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!