Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    Yeah I'm worried she's not hitting all the buzzwords and specific requirements.
    Happy to help. I’ve done 3 years in public service and 12 in local government.

Thanks Syph. And thanks Blue and Dino. I do worry that's she's aiming too high grade wise and wonder if she should also be applying for further down the rungs. She knows this too but after having already worked for Glasgow Council and left that role for 4 years of PhD life she feels she shouldn't be stepping back down to the same grade she was at before.
  • Would disagree with the Oxbridge comment personally, although that obviously depends on what department/area/grade you're looking to get into, but it certainly helps to be in the Civil Service to progress/move as there are plenty of jobs that are advertised internally across it.

Knowing people can be useful in regards to networking and being aware of opportunities, but I'm not sure it's quite as 'old boy's club' as people might think and you'd be surprised at how open and fair the competition for posts is...I'm certainly yet to be given a nod and a wink in regards to easy progression and I'm into my seventeenth year of service!

The How to Apply page of the Civil Service Careers website is worth reading through - when it comes to actually applying, every post will require an application that matches the behaviours selected as suitable for it*...as you've mentioned you'll need at least a 4 in each one** to progress past the sift.

Is she following the STAR method***? You also need to get out of the habit of saying 'we', this is all about what you did to meet that example (I find that incredibly hard to do personally). In short, look at the Behaviours document and be sure that the examples you're providing match what they're looking for for each one.

Can't promise miracles but am happy to have a look over examples if you want?

* Seeing the Big Picture, Communicating and Influencing etc
    ** Acceptable demonstration - adequate positive evidence provided
    *** Situation, Task, Action, Result
  • I'm terrible for using the royal we at work.  Mostly because I hate taking responsibility for shit.
  • There's definitely a toilet joke to made here Hob.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm terrible for using the royal we at work.  Mostly because I hate taking responsibility for shit.

We do that a lot too
  • lastant wrote:
    Would disagree with the Oxbridge comment personally, although that obviously depends on what department/area/grade you're looking to get into, but it certainly helps to be in the Civil Service to progress/move as there are plenty of jobs that are advertised internally across it. Knowing people can be useful in regards to networking and being aware of opportunities, but I'm not sure it's quite as 'old boy's club' as people might think and you'd be surprised at how open and fair the competition for posts is...I'm certainly yet to be given a nod and a wink in regards to easy progression and I'm into my seventeenth year of service! The How to Apply page of the Civil Service Careers website is worth reading through - when it comes to actually applying, every post will require an application that matches the behaviours selected as suitable for it*...as you've mentioned you'll need at least a 4 in each one** to progress past the sift. Is she following the STAR method***? You also need to get out of the habit of saying 'we', this is all about what you did to meet that example (I find that incredibly hard to do personally). In short, look at the Behaviours document and be sure that the examples you're providing match what they're looking for for each one. Can't promise miracles but am happy to have a look over examples if you want? * Seeing the Big Picture, Communicating and Influencing etc ** Acceptable demonstration - adequate positive evidence provided *** Situation, Task, Action, Result
    Thanks a lot for this. When she's on to her next one I'll hopefully send something over to you. Much appreciated.
  • Getting your foot in the door with an big company or organisation is always the hardest part. Once your in you can move around internally much easier. I used to work on 1st line support with a guy who moved across to Shell in a 1st line role. His plan was to get his foot in the door then switch internally to become a brent crude trader.

I bumped into him at a restaurant 10 years later. He hadnt become a brent crude trader, but was now the head of one of Shells IT divisions. Had a chauffeur pick him up from home for any meetings he had to attend in the uk or europe. Stupidly i had a 2nd interview at Shell just after he joined the company (he recommended me to his boss). They offered me the job and for some stupid reason i turned it down. What an idiot.
  • Scout wrote:
    lastant wrote:
    Would disagree with the Oxbridge comment personally, although that obviously depends on what department/area/grade you're looking to get into, but it certainly helps to be in the Civil Service to progress/move as there are plenty of jobs that are advertised internally across it. Knowing people can be useful in regards to networking and being aware of opportunities, but I'm not sure it's quite as 'old boy's club' as people might think and you'd be surprised at how open and fair the competition for posts is...I'm certainly yet to be given a nod and a wink in regards to easy progression and I'm into my seventeenth year of service! The How to Apply page of the Civil Service Careers website is worth reading through - when it comes to actually applying, every post will require an application that matches the behaviours selected as suitable for it*...as you've mentioned you'll need at least a 4 in each one** to progress past the sift. Is she following the STAR method***? You also need to get out of the habit of saying 'we', this is all about what you did to meet that example (I find that incredibly hard to do personally). In short, look at the Behaviours document and be sure that the examples you're providing match what they're looking for for each one. Can't promise miracles but am happy to have a look over examples if you want? * Seeing the Big Picture, Communicating and Influencing etc ** Acceptable demonstration - adequate positive evidence provided *** Situation, Task, Action, Result
    Thanks a lot for this. When she's on to her next one I'll hopefully send something over to you. Much appreciated.

Yeah this is all good stuff. I looked at 20-odd applications a couple of weeks back for a post in my team, so happy to look over examples as well.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Thanks Matty. Appreciate it.
  • I have a job interview on Tuesday for a facilities assistant at the local college.  I was surprised to even get the interview tbh as they were looking for trade experience (preferred) and I have none.  Presumably it was the other aspects of my experience that they were more interested in.

I know how to change lightbulbs and bleed radiators and whatnot but I'm slightly concerned that they'll start asking me shit and I won't have a clue how to answer.

Would anyone have any idea what kind of questions I might get asked?  I didn't oversell myself as some sort of handyman genius or anything so I'm not expecting them to ask me to rewire an office but I'm not really sure what to expect.
  • I reckon the key word there is ‘assistant’. You should be working with someone more experienced who can show you what to do.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It really depends on the job description as to what it will involve. I handle facilities management for our company but it just amounts to emailing the landlord when repairs need doing. If it does involve vocational type stuff maybe they'll ask if you're interested in being trained up to do x and you can just say 'yes'. I've seen facilities roles advertised as being entirely WFH so I wouldn't worry just because of the job title.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah to be honest you’d be surprised what they classify as ‘trade experience’. In IT I always work a lot with the facilities assistant/office manager etc, and it’s all basically ticket handling and getting in touch with vendors. The most hands on stuff I notice is helping screw in a monitor arm, or changing a fuse, setting up a room etc. You’ll pick it up in no time. They never started with a load of experience, just a smile and the ability to learn. I have a lot of time for people in that role.

I thought about getting into it actually as I’m good with ‘service and support’ and thought I’d get caught out on the IT end when they realised I have zero IT knowledge... 10 years on and they still haven’t found me out!

If you’re a nice person, keep on top of things generally and have decent common sense with stuff like that you’ll be ace :)
  • A wee bit of knowledge about water supply might help, Scout. Filtration, valve checks, etc. Legionnaires disease prevention. That type of stuff. The estates job I went for in here sounds similar and I lost it on not having enough knowledge on that stuff.
  • Legionnaires disease prevention.

Good shout.  Hadn't thought of that, cheers.
  • Microsoft have slowly and quietly developed employee tracking tech (time spent, documents opened, email contacts, etc) that is embedded in the entire Office 365 suite. And it’s all turned on by default. This is probably illegal in the EU, and needs looking into.

Long-ish Twitter thread about it here:
    https://twitter.com/WolfieChristl/status/1331221942850949121
  • Yeah, a few months ago it started sending me reports about how much time I'd spent in meetings etc.  I disabled the updates but I assume it's still tracking what I do.  I don't use 365 on my home laptop and I don't really give a shit how much time MS thinks I spend actually working on my work laptop but it's still an unpleasant development.
  • Including this stuff in cloud-based productivity software is a no-brainer, for the organisations that might want it, but having it all active by default is fucking creepsville.
  • … and almost certainly contravening a pile of EU employment laws.
  • I noticed this too, cortana sending me a ‘productivity report’ all the time. I looked into admins and saw it all there... to be honest we only really use O365 for email and the basic apps, no one uses teams (all zoom) and everyone uses developer applications, Linux environments and VMs etc.

I spend most of my day in slack, zoom and service now for example. I did see that over the year I am the number two user in ‘most meeting minutes’ which depressed me a little. Especially as it’s measures in thousands...

But yes you’re right, creepsville and no ones turning it off. Also CCPA in California might be another issue for them.
  • Good thing we are in that EU eh?
  • Well, the Free and Sovereign Nation of GRATE BRITAIN will probably mandate the use of shit like this 24/7 as part of the plan to package up access to the personal data of every citizen and sell it to the highest bidder to make up for the fact that we have no manufacturing, farming or financial industries any more.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    … and almost certainly contravening a pile of EU employment laws.
    Hopefully it's intended for good. The cortana stuff I've seen has been reminding me that I check my emails to often, I don't reserve enough time in the day for focused work, and it tells me how many times I have successfully not allowed work to interfere with my down time. Maybe I'm naive but I'd like to think they have done this for the right reasons. Always the possibility that unscrupulous companies will miss use the data. Hopefully MS will restrict access to the data to the employee, not the employer.
  • poprock wrote:
    … and almost certainly contravening a pile of EU employment laws.
    Hopefully it's intended for good. The cortana stuff I've seen has been reminding me that I check my emails to often, I don't reserve enough time in the day for focused work, and it tells me how many times I have successfully not allowed work to interfere with my down time. Maybe I'm naive but I'd like to think they have done this for the right reasons. Always the possibility that unscrupulous companies will miss use the data. Hopefully MS will restrict access to the data to the employee, not the employer.

The road to hell is paved with... etc...
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Got the job at the college.  Start training in a couple of weeks.  So that's a massive weight off the shoulders.  Especially at times like these.

Might even treat myself to a PS5 in the new year.
  • Congrats dude! Well done! Not an easy thing to pull off at times like these.
  • Well done, Matt.  This thread needs more good news.
  • Great news, congrats Matt :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!