Work - The pros and the cons...
  • PE teachers who can teach?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There's no mechanism for paying back those benefits is there, are they really saying they're keeping the money but abstracting the fact
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Politicians with morals?

Nope, I've gone too far.
  • beano wrote:
    There's no mechanism for paying back those benefits is there, are they really saying they're keeping the money but abstracting the fact
    Several large companies have paid back their furlough money. I think mine has as well though I’m not sure about that.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The fuckin banter of it all. Teachers absolutely on their knees and here we go again for us.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55230774
  • Came in here to post that with the same take.  That's a huge amount of extra pressure.
  • (And that's from the position of someone on the outside who has only the faintest understanding of how things really are for teachers, my point being that even an idiot like me can see that's going to break people.)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The fuckin banter of it all. Teachers absolutely on their knees and here we go again for us. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55230774

That does indeed sound like a nightmare from your perspective.  

That said my kids will be absolutely livid that Scotland and Wales have both cancelled exams but England have insisted on going ahead.  (I have one doing GCSEs and the other doing A-levels this year.  They've both missed huge chunks of school due to Covid in one way or another, and feel that they'd rather spend the year learning what they've missed rather than preparing for an exam.  This isn't helped by having parents who both regard exams as bullshit, to be fair.)
  • They have also just suggested, today, that schools make the last day an inset day and want Headteachers to be doing contact tracking for families until the 23rd (I think it was).

• Re: Exams. Isn't there some issues with some grammar or independent schools using exam boards from different home nations? I think the local grammar use Welsh exam boards for some subjects?

It's a nightmare.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a nightmare as some schools, such as ours, have already done their prelims, necessitating scheduling more, more covid restrictions needing to be in place, more teacher pressures for university entries (early apps already in and deadline is 15th Jan)

It just spirals on to teachers who have already had a kick in the teeth from Swinney last week regarding the Christmas holidays and looking to see if the two days of the 21-22 could be not attended in school so teachers don't worry about having to be told to isolate over Christmas (or at least reducing that risk).

There's an election in 5 months and I'm not sure how this will play with young voters who may still be in school.

As always it will be our fault in the school.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Re: Exams. Isn't there some issues with some grammar or independent schools using exam boards from different home nations? I think the local grammar use Welsh exam boards for some subjects?

It's a nightmare.

Some private schools do A levels up here, yes.
    They have also just suggested, today, that schools make the last day an inset day and want Headteachers to be doing contact tracking for families until the 23rd (I think it was).

We have the same, however it is senior pastoral teams, not just heads (it's the head, deputies and the pupil support leaders - aka me) who will have to do it. Love to love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've got a document I've said I'll review this week.

I've just opened it.

It's 1,740 pages long.

Ruh-roh.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Haha
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I've got a document I've said I'll review this week.

I've just opened it.

It's 1,740 pages long.

Ruh-roh.

What the feck? Gotta be a technical manual of some kind right?
  • Pro tip:

ctrl + A
    Change font to very small

Now you only have to read hundreds of pages, not thousands.

You’re welcome.
  • "I have reviewed and my conclusion is that it is indeed a document"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    This isn't helped by having parents who both regard exams as bullshit, to be fair.)

Can I ask why that's the case? I always enjoyed exams, and normally passed them well. I probably like them because I'm a lazy twat, and they were more appealing than thousands of words of coursework, which I only did in the final three days, because lazy. I always saw the main argument against exams being the pressure, but in professional life you're under pressure all the time. Given the consequences of your job, I thought that exam conditions would be something you'd think was useful for kids to be exposed to

All that said the amount of children's futures and opportunities that are balanced in exam results is fucking ridiculous, and completely unfair. It's more about schools climbing League tables than the actual with of the children involved

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • There's not often in jobs that you wouldn't be able to look up information or ask someone.
  • I dont think exam pressure is anything like work pressure and if it is you are either very relaxed about exams or might want to consider a career change before your heart gives way.
    In work you can ask questions, you can use the Internet, manuals etc 99% of the time. Of course you shouldn't be that reliant on them but the option is there. In fact exams teach people to guess, that is a terrible idea in a fair few work places.

There aren't many jobs where a single task or shift could define your entire future. The equivalent would be working all year and then at the end being assessed on a few hours work and that determines your pay.

Another difference is that in your work place you might wear a couple of hats. Maybe your main role, looking after some junior staff and possibly some other management or admin stuff.

I took 10 GCSEs all in varied subjects. One minute I was memorising the terms of the treaty of Versaille the next I'm cramming the tensile strength of aluminium before writing a short essay on Ansel Adams. No work place is as mental as that.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I took 10 GCSEs all in varied subjects. One minute I was memorising the terms of the treaty of Versaille the next I'm cramming the tensile strength of aluminium before writing a short essay on Ansel Adams. No work place is as mental as that.

My profession is definitely as varied as that, and I’m expected to become an instant ‘expert’ in the appropriate subject/industry for each client. It can be a lot like cramming.
  • I'm expected to fix every TV/DVD/VCR/digibox released in the last 25 years. 

I'm not doing that without Google.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:

My profession is definitely as varied as that, and I’m expected to become an instant ‘expert’ in the appropriate subject/industry for each client. It can be a lot like cramming.

A lot of the transferable skills are used however.
  • I'll concede no jobs to a handful.
    Your role is quite unusual Pop. Most people become genuine experts in a field.
  • I'm getting increasingly irritated by a colleague.
    Spoiler:

TLDR: My colleague works much harder than me and it gets me down a little because inevitably she will get better results. I remind myself that 'Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts' but I think I'm just in a bad mood today grrrr.
  • Leave her to it Tiger.
    She will burnout eventually, or move on and be a high flyer at some top school or whatever.
    I think I can assume given her work hours etc that she doesn't have her own kids at home, probably not much of a social life either not that any of us do right now. Her judging how you handle raising your own kid during a pandemic is worthless at the best of times but more so if she doesn't have her own.

Work/life balance innit. She is weighted heavily towards work. My personal opinion is that isnt a healthy way to live and her breakdowns appear to be that manifesting.
  • I think her home life is pretty hollow and work is her distraction, tbh.
  • You do you man. I assume your Head is happy with what you are doing. Her approach might get tangible results but Primary school is so much more than that.

If its worth anything I was the smart kid at that age and I would have rather had the teacher reading stories than extra maths tests. I would have been a right little shit in her class, I would be topping those results tables but I would be testing her back.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!