Work - The pros and the cons...
  • That's very cool. Though I am sat here thinking about the ways production and advertising use 3D modelling as rending and thinking "bet Liv is glad he didn't have to texture any of that"
  • Cheers guys.
    Yeah its pretty cool to have it in such a high profile place.
    Like Dino says its just a shame it is mid covid. I could hop on the train and see it but its probably not worth the risk.

And yes Tempy I'm glad I didnt have to render it all although it did do some displacement trickery on the Arc de Triumphe mouldings, that was a challenge because bump and normal maps are out the window if 3d printing.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Cheers guys.
    Yeah its pretty cool to have it in such a high profile place.
    Like Dino says its just a shame it is mid covid. I could hop on the train and see it but its probably not worth the risk.

And yes Tempy I'm glad I didnt have to render it all although it did do some displacement trickery on the Arc de Triumphe mouldings, that was a challenge because bump and normal maps are out the window if 3d printing.

If you can go during the weekday then the tube is dead. If you go at 11am or wotevs then it will be very quiet.
    Literally 3-5 people per carriage and this is at rush hour times. Also the few tubes I’ve been on I’ve been pleasantly surprised that 99% of people are wearing their masks.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Might be ok then.
    I can go straight into St Pancras so wouldn't be on the tube for long and the train from my place is always dead after rush hour even in noncovid times.
  • Dude that looks amazing, awesome work!
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    That’s great work Liv congrats.

Reminds me of my work appearing in a high profile sewage works trade magazine, without permission, cropped from an inappropriately formatted plan. Had me buzzing all day.
    Things can only get better.
  • Just got told I have to remove it from my Instagram by the client.
    No idea why as its there for all to see and they have posted it everywhere.
    Apparently it is part of their NDA with the main client.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Just got told I have to remove it from my Instagram by the client.
    No idea why as its there for all to see and they have posted it everywhere.
    Apparently it is part of their NDA with the main client.

Mate. Go to the place. Take your own photos and tell them to fuck off.
    If it’s in public view then they have no reason to tell you to take it down.

You get some ridiculous requests from clients etc... sometimes.

I have a friend who’s a semi famous/famous illustrator and his publisher is always asking him to take stuff off Instagram. Half the time is all over the Internet before he posted it.
  • Don't really want to jeprodise future work from them.
    I'll get some shots and request to share down the line. It is a joke though anybody here, my friends, family, a perfect stranger can whack it on their Instagram saying what a nice window it is but if I do it its breaking contract.

To be honest it was on Instagram long enough to drop off feeds anyway.

It is annoying though especially as a freelancer. Too many studios are overly cautious and even when I put in a request the answer is nearly always no because its easier for them.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do you want me to share it on LinkedIn? Happy for you to craft the post and I'll post it from my perspective
  • Livdiv, take it down from your insta. Dont burn bridges in your fledgling career. Get all the photos etc of for later though. If you can go down to harrods safely and get pics then do it.
  • Do you want me to share it on LinkedIn? Happy for you to craft the post and I'll post it from my perspective

Nah its fine mate. Is what it is.
    As Dino says I dont wanna risk not getting more work from them or getting a bad name.

Its not the end of the world just a bit annoying really. I'm more annoyed that this is standard practice than this particular case. It will be Harrods trying to control the media presence. I get the impression what my client shared had to be preapproved by Harrods. They won't bother with that effort for myself.
  • David Beckham endorsed my mates book.
    He was chuffed and stuck it on Instagram. The publisher demanded he take it down because they wanted to ‘break’ the news themselves.
    The thing was when Beckham said what he did it was just in a general announcement. So it was all over the Internet before my mate put it on Instagram.

A lot of companies just say no by default now.
  • Not trying to get you to piss them off Liv, protect the relationship, but just in general - The attention span on the Internet is so fleeting now companies can easily lose the initiative.
  • Here's one for yous... Just wanting to gauge opinion on how I handled it, cos it's a tough one. As ever, I'll try and be brief, and also protect myself.

Had some agency folk when the pandemic hit the first peak. Of them, there was one guy who took to this job/the people/the building like a duck to water. Proper cheery auld guy as well, just looked like he loved being here. Yeah we all joke like "ah, just wait!" etc, but fair play to the guy. It's been refreshing for me at least, having someone beside you who isn't a complete fucking moan bringing you down all the time. Good Rangers Man™, too.

I actually helped him get in here full time. He ended up taking a pal for a ultrasound when she was in, and she messaged me asking who he was as he was so lovely. I passed that onto my bosses who ended up using it as praise for him and also justification for him going full time in here. He thanked me so graciously too. Hey, no probs man. Glad to help a sound one. Lets call him Boab.

So fast forward to last week, I'm taking a guy for a endoscope. So we're chatting away on the way down, usual small talk stuff, but when we get to Endo, it takes a much weirder turn...

"So mate... Is it gonna be you that comes back for me when this is done?"
    "Sorry mate, I'm due to finish shortly so I highly doubt it will be.."
    "Oh...its just... I don't want a particular porter."
    "Eh?...Who?"
    "Boab..."

He then goes on to explain they used to be neighbours, and Boab made his and his wives life's misery for years. Said he'd spit on their parked cars, key them too. He'd shout at them from his window, and also as he'd pass in his taxi. He'd put his speakers to the walls and crack up his Elvis records. Just nasty stuff. He says it got to the point he was going to "speak to someone about sorting him out". Bloody hell.

Boab had actually taken him for a scan the day previous. Said that all he did was do a double take, then act like he was any other patient. Fucking weird eh.

So I was conflicted. This absolute peach of a guy? Being a neighbour from hell? Surely not. But why would a stranger tell me all that?

I told him I'd speak to my chargehand and make sure his return to the ward wasn't given to Boab, and I done so. All good. I went away thinking hmm, well, he was in for a scope, maybe he'll be home over the weekend while I'm off. Job done.

Job done? No. Just today, I'm finishing dropping a guy off at CT and what do I see? Boab, pushing that same guy, on a chair. The intensity in the eye contact (you get to tell more after a while with these masks, I feel) was palpable. So fuck. What do I do? I'm just thinking, if that was me and I was in hospital, already unwell and stressed, then a figure from a traumatic period in my life shows up, I'd fucking hate it. So I have to act on what's best for the patient. I went further and alerted my actual bosses instead of a chargehand. They say not much can be done unless the patient tells the staff in the ward. But I also can't say anything to Boab. Maybe he's acting pretty nastily by just trying to kill the guy with kindness and hoping no one says anything. Maybe they've had words. I dunno. The patient, I found, was also telling the staff in MRI last week about him.

Fuck, it's tough.

Anyway, not much else to add just a "bloody, bloody hell mate" story.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d try and talk to the patient. Tell him what happened and what your bosses said, then leave it up to him what he wants to do.
  • Yep, that's what I'm gonna do next time I find myself in that ward. Bloody hell, why me, etc.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is there HR you can talk to?
  • Not.... Really, I don't think. This is where we get into what's "our" (ser*o) issue and what's "theirs" (NHS). It's all a bit murky to me.
  • You've done what you can Gav.
    If you find yourself porting the patient again just say you have mentioned it twice but your just the bloke who does the porting.

As for if Boab is a bad guy or not.
    Who knows. People change, maybe he was going through some shit, addicted to something he has now shaken, severely depressed but got help.

Perhaps he was never that bad at all and the patient has blown up this behaviour in his head.

Either way I would treat Boab as the bloke you have come to know the past few months.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's both a ser*o and an NHS issue. There should be a mechanism in place for patients to raise concerns, and all patient facing staff should at least be aware of what that mechanism is. The fact you are not aware highlights that either no mechanism exists, or if it does it isn't being communicated well-enough to all employees.
  • Fuck me, that's a doozy
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • The patient raised a concern with Gav. Gav escalated it to his bosses, and … they’ve done fuck all. That sucks.

You’ve done your job Gav, but I’d hazard an opinion that your bosses have not.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's what I'm thinking. Gav has done what should reasonably have been expected of him. It's higher up in the management where things have fallen down, but there is certainly something wrong there that needs addressing. That puts Gav in an awkward position though because he will probably be highlighting that one of his bosses isn't doing their job properly.

A good company would take this issue being raised as a positive, learn from it and implement positive changes. And good managers would welcome the issue being raised so they can improve the performance of their department. The problem is when bad/insecure managers think any raising of issues is an attack on them and their ability and try to hide it and hush up the person raising it.
  • Agree with the comments that you can only do so much - you can't be the one to do all the patient's speaking - though the bosses definitely should have acted on the initial warning.

Thing is, you can't do much else because Boab's past is irrelevant to his post unless he's actively covered up something that would prevent him from doing his job.

And as Liv says, you can't take the patient's word as gospel. I'm on the sidelines of something similar at work at the moment - allegations of bullying and racism. If that's taught me anything is that both sides can have unreliable narrators.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Bear in mind, Boab might have a very different story to tell when it comes to nightmare neighbours. Might be the other guy that was the cunt, or they might even be a pair of roasters.
    You’ve done your bit Gav. Time to walk away from this situation.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah. Thanks for the responses folks. Good to gauge opinion.

And thanks for joining me in the asterisk use ;)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well, here we go - the Edinburgh vote came in and teaching staff have voted to go to a trade dispute.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-teachers-vote-take-action-19470965
  • "demoralised, undervalued and under constant attack"

I can certainly see that sentiment being reflected elsewhere.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Mama div just got made redundant.
    She is a bit distraught, finding it hard to accept it isnt a reflection on her.

Tbh It is almost certainly veiled ageism. 5 of 12 have been kept on, mama div was her boss' right hand man. However she only has 18 months left before retirement. We will never know for certain but seems highly likely.

She will be ok and is facing 6 months before termination date but its an incredibly awkward time of life to be made redundant. She isn't ready to stop working yet really.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!