Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Typical elites with your meetings and leashes.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    You will be hearing from my solicitor Ozno.

ragin
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • In my job, meetings are the absolute best thing in the world and you make every effort to stretch them out as long as possible.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    In my job, meetings are the absolute best thing in the world and you make every effort to stretch them out as long as possible.

You are the bane of my professional life
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • A personal best is a 30 minute meeting that took 3 hours.
  • I have a client who thrives on meetings. He does fuck all actual work and spends all his time wasting everyone else’s. He’s on a fucking six-figure salary. He’s no use to man nor beast. Really gets my goat. Right near the start of the pandemic he insisted on an in-person meeting at our studio, for eight people, that lasted four hours. First thing he did was announce that he’d just come from Heathrow and we should all be back at work immediately, because the lockdown was nonsense. Fucking arsehole.
  • Starting my new job this week seems to have meant nothing but meetings. Had 8 in a row yesterday, up to about 17 since Monday. Not sure when I'm meant to actually do any other work.
  • Looking at my calendar for today I have five meetings, totaling 4.75 hours.  I plan to attend three at most because fuck that.
  • I find having clear objectives for the meetings helps, and not inviting people who don't need to be there, used to add optionals but they tend to always turn up. Oh and if a meeting is in for 30mins or 1hr, that's it, it ends at that point (hence clear objectives/agenda). Nothing worse than a rambling meeting that achieves nothing.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I support Nick's proposal and welcome him as new meeting overlord.

There's a special place in hell for the folk at my place who set up 3-4 hour meetings and call them workshops to try and justify it.
  • Damn straight, Cosby. A workshop is definitely not a meeting. If it is, you’re doing workshops wrong.
  • I feel like in meetings too often chairs are too passive. Don’t let dickhead speak again.
  • 4-5 years back I had a job that would involve tons of meetings, and I never came out of one thinking it was productive use of my time... in-fact, they actually made me anxious, as it took me away from the work I had to actually do and quite often had to work extra hours to catchup on. Not fun.

I've since actively avoid meetings, lockdown has actually helped filter through all the bullshit that meetings would normally involve. 

I'm a rare breed mind, I do the same with phone calls - would much rather someone message me than have to endure chit chat before getting to the point half the time.
  • Having worked in a Tech Support call centre I can definitely jive with Dante's desire to make meetings last an eternity. If you're gonna waste our time with a bunch of irrelevant shite about our call stats and new business protocol that's been invented by someone who doesn't even know what a tech support call is, we're absolutely going to take the piss as long as possible to stay away from the dreaded phones.
  • Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I feel like in meetings too often chairs are too passive. Don’t let dickhead speak again.

Remote working has made this so easy

I run a lot of zoom meetings and it's great being able to mute a motherfucker
  • Zoom has this rotten feature bug which automatically cancels the sound of people when it gets loud. Really unhelpful.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I'd also like to update the response options on meeting invites to the following.

l3koGfn.gif
  • I think I just had a meeting.
    Is a prearranged phonecall with one other person a meeting?
    Spoiler:
  • Tempy wrote:
    Having worked in a Tech Support call centre I can definitely jive with Dante's desire to make meetings last an eternity. If you're gonna waste our time with a bunch of irrelevant shite about our call stats and new business protocol that's been invented by someone who doesn't even know what a tech support call is, we're absolutely going to take the piss as long as possible to stay away from the dreaded phones.

My man.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Meetings for me generally result in me having less time to do the work I have to get done, and occasionally result in me having extra work to do. Hencee not liking tjem
  • Right, time for the next meeting.
  • The other thing that I find a real struggle is that my main job requires a calm zoniness but any personal interaction gets me buzzing and tense.
  • In the final meeting for today and have just learned the term "doom scrolling".  Glad I attended this one.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Meetings for me generally result in me having less time to do the work I have to get done, and occasionally result in me having extra work to do. Hencee not liking tjem

^
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    What is Doom scrolling??

I imagine it's quite jerky and results in demons popping up around corners

Or is it when you see a super interesting link lower down the page but it takes 4 years to scroll down to it due to development hell
  • It's just scrolling down the timeline absorbing all the shit news because the world is a shit place.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The action of scrolling endlessly through reports of bad news.

It's an interesting meeting actually.  Presentation on mental health and resilience during the pandemic.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!