ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    "How do I become a contractor and deny my daily rate???" ;)
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Best page turn ever, in fact I think Unlikley deserves an assist for helpinh make it happen

edit: not even best page turn today, just the best page turn I was involved in, fuck I'm proper self centred
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Paying contractor rates for that long is nuts.
    Reminds of a contractor who worked at the same place for 10 years. One day got told by new finance boss to reduce his day rate if he wanted to stay on. Reduced it to £900 a day. Fecking hell.

I'm not pretending I was on anything even close to that.

You were on triple, gotcha.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    IR35 is going to be messy.
    There is a rumour I have seen going around LinkedIn that if people are working from home they will be outside ir35. It is definitely not that simple and I think a fair few are gonna get tripped up.

God. Really? You’d think that people who take on the responsibility of starting their own company, presumably engage an accountant , arrange workplace and professional liability insurances, and essentially take care of their own welfare (holiday, sick pay, pension, private insurances etc) and lose all employment rights would take five minutes (okay, half a day) to understand implications of off-payroll legislation affecting every aspect of the above due to shift in accountability to end client rather than self declared employment status

You know, rather than think that because “wfh” they’re “outside ir35” and risk a life changing tax investigation.

For a lot of these folks I always thought umbrella was the right way to go. Get more money for same job, weighed against loss of certain employment rights - which is what most people understand as contracting at its most basic.

Take unlikely: as an umbrella “employee”, transitioning to permie is a lot easier. I know of several Ltd company contractors, clueless, who transitioned from ltd to umbrella at same client (!!) and despite assurances from HMRC they wouldn’t take a close look, received letters in months asking for an audit… oh dear
  • I think a lot of people on short contracts are getting panicky that they will get caught by ir35.
    By short I mean weeks or a couple of months. Its them who feel they will end up paying the tax (not even that different these days) as well as all the extra expenses.

The people like Unlikely working the same place for years really should have their shit together.

What people seem to be doing is looking over the criteria set out by Gov and doing one of two things. They either select one criteria they pass and decide that means they are outside IR35 or realise they don't meet every criteria and panic thinking they are inside.
  • This is purely anecdotal but A long time ago Im sure I heard it was recommended by agencies of supply teachers for them to set up companies and be paid through them.
  • Another two week line from the doctor. Thought I was ready but a really upset few days (due to non-work stuff funnily enough) means I'm not, and need more time. Doc said I'm probably not heading towards being prescribed something but won't rule it out for the future.

Sigh.
  • Get some rest mate. You need it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Got forwarded a job in London by my colleague who was asked to come in for an interview. He said no as its london. Base pay starts at 105k. 105k ! Bloody hell. Arrgghh. I really need to get my architecture and security certs done this year so i can aspire to a salary level like that in the future.
  • Another two week line from the doctor. Thought I was ready but a really upset few days (due to non-work stuff funnily enough) means I'm not, and need more time. Doc said I'm probably not heading towards being prescribed something but won't rule it out for the future.

Sigh.

Hope you’re feeling better soon, each day at a time. Might not be much help for yourself but I always found a new hobby/interest helps relax and keep the mind busy.
  • Just trying to set myself simple daily goals of; doing at least one thing "for me", or "for" another. I have problems with guilt lazing about all the time so if I get up and out, even for a walk or a trip to asda to get mum or shona flowers, it's something. Then I don't feel as bad the rest of the day being horizontal and sad.

Cheers folks.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hugs, Gav.
  • Cheers bud. Just riding it out! Everything is temporary.
  • Gav, take as much time as you need. If a month turns into two months then so be it. It's utterly necessary IMO
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • You're welcome to escape down here sometime if you need to gav, even if I'm at work, grab the spare keys.

Obviously, I'm the last person you want to be around when you're feeling like you are, but you know where I am if you need me.
  • Appreciated. Need to get that bike working, tbh.
  • The one I got is an absolute bucket, only fit for the skip.
  • 2020 was an absolute cunt of a year for me, but I despite it all I put in a bucket load of work after clambering out of a real pit of depression after I got made redundant from my shitty job. 

Somehow it's all paying off and I think I can at least officially say I am a Freelance Writer at the moment?

My March schedule is pretty crazy, and I have a few applications for things in the works. It's not ideal, but... it's paying the bills well and I am slowly climbing out of the pit of £20 review pieces.

It feels weirdly good, even if I am not quite convinced I have legitimately made it yet, but I think that will never go away cos freelance is inherently precarious.

Just feels good to not be complaining about everything for once.
  • Love it, temps. Keep going man!
  • This month (which is unusually rich cos of a long stint of covering shifts for NME) is the first month i've capped £1k earned from Just Writing which just feels unreal to me.

I've also filed 6 reviews since the start of the year, as well as a few freelance pieces. Feels mad, yo.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My boy grinding the rpg.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It warms my heart to see you succeeding Temps.

<3
  • I'm really glad to hear that temps, top work mate.
  • Yes Tempy, glad it's going well for you. Very much deserved.
  • Told ya Temps, knew it would begin to turn for you. Keep up that grind!

I was interviewing people for a job all day Friday. Weird being on the other side for the first time, what an oddly exhausting experience. Not looking forward to the follow-up calls on Monday.
  • If none of them get it, give me an interview.

Probably got exactly fuck all relevant experience, but I'll try anything at this stage......
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Told ya Temps, knew it would begin to turn for you. Keep up that grind! I was interviewing people for a job all day Friday. Weird being on the other side for the first time, what an oddly exhausting experience. Not looking forward to the follow-up calls on Monday.

I know that feeling, trawling through cvs for the right person, wasting my time interviewing folk who clearly weren't right was also super frustrating as I could be doing the work I needed the candidate for. Ever decreasing circle, can be shite, but when you get the right person, fucking grand
  • Tempy wrote:
    This month (which is unusually rich cos of a long stint of covering shifts for NME) is the first month i've capped £1k earned from Just Writing which just feels unreal to me. I've also filed 6 reviews since the start of the year, as well as a few freelance pieces. Feels mad, yo.

Thats awesome Temps. Keep pushing. 

When I first went freelance, it felt extremely rewarding but the grind was real. 

But trust me; put in the hard work, keep getting better, build up clients and belief in yourself... and the rewards will follow.
  • :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm really happy for you tempy. You earned it mate.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!