Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Used to work for a guy like that.  Total fucker.  Because of him I left my old job.  He became a director, the company folded six months later and I'm now earning more than three times as much as I did when he was my boss.  Back of the net.

EDIT:  In response to Goob's post below.
  • What the fuck. Thats ridiculous. Why would a person be like that?!
    I think he was jealous or insecure. His predecessor and I got on brilliantly, and our work was recognised and rewardrd at a very high level. I'm not sure what his issue is but he's proved to be dishonest, manipulative, petty and malicious. I need to investigate and find out exactly what he's done so I make sure I approach it correctly. I had suspicions he was bad mouthing me behind my back in order to mask his own failings, so I need to know if he's turned anyone against me that might make any complaint proceeding more difficult.
  • I feel so lucky with where I work. We have uncontested promotions upto a really high level. There is literally no need for anyone to be a dickhead to another person because you go up when you are good.
  • I feel so lucky with where I work. We have uncontested promotions upto a really high level. There is literally no need for anyone to be a dickhead to another person because you go up when you are good.

Thats what they want you to think.

Dk you want to take the red or the blue pill crayon? Red pill you live in your promotion delusion. Blue pill, you'll see what the world of promotion at your company is really like.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I feel so lucky with where I work. We have uncontested promotions upto a really high level. There is literally no need for anyone to be a dickhead to another person because you go up when you are good.

There's very little incentive for people to be dickheads at my place, but that hasn't stopped him.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    BOOM

At first contact I asked them their range they said between x and y. I pointed out that I didn't want my previous wage (that they'd asked for in the initial contact form, and 115% of y) to price me out if the role. I recognised that it was a different role with lower responsibilities, and it wasn't in London

I expected that when they made an offer I'd negotiate, even if for no other reason than to know that my voice was heard and I was valued by the company. They came in with an offer above their initial "y", I just said yes I'd love to join them. The fact they're gone to their board to offer greater than range before even talking to me, I feel like a pretty girl just smiled at me

Start date in April, feel bad about leaving the warehouse, but it's my trade, I can't wait to be there. New challenge, back in the game

Sorry hugelt self indulgent, but am super excited
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That's awesome Cocko! Thrilled for you mate :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The fact they've rewarded me for humility, when I clearly said I expect significantly less, makes me already feel like I'm going to enjoy working with these folk. So many firms would try to low ball you

Cheers g, I might put an advent calendar up
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well done mate. Happy for ya.
  • Happy days, Cocko.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bravo, Cocko.
    cockbeard wrote:
    Sorry hugelt self indulgent, but am super excited
    Sharing great news like this is never a bad thing (especially these days) and should give hope to others badgers in here still battling.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Very pleased for you mr cocks. Imagine: from reach around to bonus package in just a few days! Congratulations
  • Outstanding news. Cocko = winner.
  • That is really cool cocko!
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I got two more jobs for people.  Who fancies being either a Security Operations Analyst or a Business Analyst?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Is the first one breaking into shit and then saying "your shit is broken"?
  • Subbax wrote:
    I got two more jobs for people.  Who fancies being either a Security Operations Analyst or a Business Analyst?

I'm game. Zero experience, but I'll fake it till I make it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I reckon a good BA. What does Security Operations Analyst entail?
  • Analysing security operations, duh.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As of yesterday, I can see role levels for all my colleagues.  Which is exciting.

Except I'm obviously now grumpy about folk who do less, and have less experience, but are higher levels than me (and hence paid more etc.).  

Grumble grumble grumble.  There's obviously subjectivity in this (and a risk of ego bias yaddah yaddah), but even comparing colleagues in my bit of the org with some others further afield, it doesn't look totally level playing field in terms of assessment.  Hmm hmm hmm.  Though maybe I just need more sleep and it makes perfect sense.

Anyone else had "fun" with salary / role transparency etc.?  It's all been pretty hush hush for me previously...
  • Civil service means I know exactly what everyone is earning (or near enough) as it's all set by role.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's fairly straight forward in my job. I can pretty much work out what anyone is on. I'm going to struggle to negotiate a salary when I have to fend for myself.
  • Pick a number you’d like then add 50%
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Anyone else had "fun" with salary / role transparency etc.?  It's all been pretty hush hush for me previously...

The place I used to work for were fucking nuts about pay secrecy. One girl was threatened with summary dismissal for discussing salaries with her colleagues. Barking mad. Can only imagine the sketchiness they must have been up to with pay discrepancies.
  • Same as MattyJ...being in the Civil Service makes it all as transparent as it can be, particularly since progression payments all but stopped.

Still find it bizarre there’s such discrepancies across agencies and departments, but would think that may get flushed out and settled over the next few years as the ‘new normal’ working patterns get set up and formalised (see HMRC’s new offer as an example).
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Security Operations Analyst is responsible for the operation and configuration of security tools that identify and detect potentially malicious activity. This is a technical position that requires experience in operation of various security tools. The position will act as a security incident analyst or manager as part of the Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT). The position will work with MDR as well as co-managed SIEM solution providers to continually enhance our detection and response capabilities.

As a Business Analyst you will work with the Product Owner to maintain the roadmap and sprint backlogs, facilitate workshops to gather and analyse requirements and create user stories with appropriate technical detail and acceptance criteria. You will act as the bridge between business and technology teams on highly complex projects. You will analyse and document processes from both a business and technical standpoint.

Those are a little snippet straight from the job description.  If anyone is interested, hit me up for more details.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I reckon the best thing is full transparency. You really want to fight inequality? Publish salaries and benefits for all. Truly compete for talent, rather than take advantage of good people who are less willing to establish their worth and fight to be paid their value. Instantly demystify gender and race and other pay disparities. It's all there in the visible and available data.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I'm not against transparency, but it's interesting seeing departmental variance for the first time within an organisation I've worked in for the last 15 years.  

I'm also feeling grumpy today, which likely isn't helping my objectivity.  But it very much feels like I've been told "to get to this level, you need to be doing all this stuff, on top of this other stuff you can't stop doing [to an extent which doesn't fit]", while there are folks in the next unit along who have been "promoted" already and are doing rather less than what's being asked of me.  Which makes me kinda sad.  As you say though, probably better I have that visibility and can question it, than everything hidden away - and after all, I might have the wrong end of the stick, yaddah yaddah.
  • No it's likely you're right, isn't it? My experience of being a permanent employee is that a lot of your package depended on the kind of boss you had - how hard they would fight HR to get you what you wanted / what they thought you deserved for the role.

Also how bolshy / impudent / blindly optimistic you are: you don't ask you don't get, and there are different ways of asking and getting.

It's all very unfair and depends on personality variables which increases my preference to full transparency.
  • Muzz - you can justifiably ask for more money now right? If you want to half cup full it you can use it to get more money.

It could also be the other people do secret off the books gangster shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!