General Games News
  • Dunno.  I genuinely wasn't aware that microtransactions even existed.  Car packs, sure, but there are a limited number of them, and once you've bought them once (assuming you are even remotely interested - hallo Porsche car pack) that's you done.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Im pretty sure you can buy a car pass for like £30 to get all the cars anyway.
  • Maybe he was just feeling massively generous and offered 14K for a £30 car pass.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I thought Andy said it was Forza microtransactions not Horizon? 

Forza has had disposable, one use transactions and boosters for the last couple hasn't it? Not sure what they get you but they are different to the Horizon stuff aren't they?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Dunno.  I have FM 5 and 6 installed but have never noticed microtransactions.  I suppose if you really wanted to you might be able to find a way to waste some money on them, but 14K sounds like bullshit.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Indeed..all very odd. 

Even if he was burning through Forza 6 tokens.. you'd seemingly get 20,000 at the best value price of £64 odd. The tokens let you buy cars, mod packs? and livery stuff? .. No idea what that means but I guess you could get hooked somehow?

To get through £14,000.. you'd have to have bought about 200 of those bastards and have nigh on 4 million tokens.. I mean.. The dude needs help if that's anywhere near to reality..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Forza 7 has barely been out for 2 weeks. That’s a very tight time frame from release through expenditure to telling people about it, especially as the language in Andy’s post didn’t suggest (although didn’t rule out) that any of this was in the recent past.
  • I was under the impression that while Forza 7 does indeed have rancid loot boxes, you can't actually yet buy them with real world money. I gather they're just grooming you at the moment. It's even stated in those videos Davie posted.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I presume that andys mate was generalising and meant over the forza series.
    Even if so its still a hell of a lot of money to spend on one game. (series)

Forza 7 takes it all to a new level of shittness as the videos i posted shows.

Battlefront and shadow of war are hugely disrespectful of there player base too.
    Especially for those who don't know this stuff exists and dont get the full game without spending extra to get bits missing from the game that is hidden behind a paywall (shadow of war) or was a feature that was included for free in past titles.(forza 7)
  • Isn’t it exhausting watching videos moaning about the same thing over and over that people are voting for with their wallets? If people wanna skip the grind then so be it, what’s the issue, they’ve paid for it, their choice how to play and choose their time versus reward isn’t it? The Forza series has always thrown a ridiculous amount of credits at you. I’ve hardly played Forza in years but the Forza reward site still wants to gift me absurd amounts.

The Destiny shaders are there via grind, Ive got bloody hundreds, it’s ALL cosmetic in Destiny. The LoTR stuff is available via grind. Battlefronts system isn’t fully known as it’s not out yet. Forza has put previous boosts behind in game credit available purchases ‘Prize Crates’ , it’ll slow down credit making and farming the same race for more? Its a way to bypass grind for those who can’t be bothered. Fine with me.

That guy can’t of spent any money on F7 transactions as you can’t use real money yet it’s all in game CR for now. It must of been one of the others or complete nonsense.

You pays your money you makes your choice. So you take these away and how many people complain as they don’t have the time to grind for this or for that? They’re here because the market not only asked for them but obviously fully backs them.

Not only that but in a market where the future of the dev etc may be on a knife edge, if they wanna throw stuff out there to potentially ensure the future of that series or the dev as a whole with a slight increase on the revenue streams of that game then go for it. I’m not sure how much gets back to them or if it matters on any realistic scale, but games are a business so you can’t be surprised they want to make money.
  • You have hundreds sure. How many Nebula Rose do you have?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy said this guy told him he had spent it in a week.

Even across the whole series I can’t see how this is possible. As Isanbard stated above, £14,000 on Forza 3 would buy 4M tokens, the most expensive car in the game is 10k tokens, the next most expensive is under 5k, a great many cars in the game are under 100. Even the cars which you normally earn from wheel spins can be bought from the auction house for fewer credits each than you’re likely to sell the 10K car for.

I cannot see how £14K in this is possible.
  • You have hundreds sure. How many Nebula Rose do you have?

I’ll check, but if you really really REALLY want it, buy it! Buy it with silver dust that you can get from the hundreds of ghosts you get from Eververse, or other shaders, or emotes.

If not....find something else. That isn’t as horrible.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    You pays your money you makes your choice. So you take these away and how many people complain as they don’t have the time to grind for this or for that? They’re here because the market not only asked for them but obviously fully backs them.

Not only that but in a market where the future of the dev etc may be on a knife edge, if they wanna throw stuff out there to potentially ensure the future of that series or the dev as a whole with a slight increase on the revenue streams of that game then go for it. I’m not sure how much gets back to them or if it matters on any realistic scale, but games are a business so you can’t be surprised they want to make money.

See that first bit,
    Its not a choice... Its a 1/700 chance at a car as its prizeboxes/loot crates.
    Same with the pay to earn mods.
    (lose all driving aids get 30% more cr to spend on prizecrates)

You have a chance to 'win' what you payed for for.

The second bit,
    They charge 40-50 quid for a game, i want a complete game that isnt trying to fleece me out of another 40-50 quid for a 'chance' at the stuff i want to play with in game.
    Seriously fuck that shit!

Now i have no problem with the prize crate thing if there fair.
    Maybe remove whatever you have previously won from the lot so you never win the same thing twice!
    The fact you can spend real money and have the same prize pop over and over is shitty as fuck.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I haven’t watched the videos, but can’t all of the cars be obtained through normal play anyway?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I haven’t watched the videos, but can’t all of the cars be obtained through normal play anyway?
    There'll be special edition cars that can only be found in the loot box. Like the cars in FH3 that you sometimes get in the wheel-spins or Forzathon. There's likely to be a standard version in game, but that's not definite. There isn't a Forzathon equivalent in Forza 7 apparently.

I doubt most people will notice it. The problem is that there are a small number of very obsessive people who probably can't stop themselves with this stuff.
  • No dude, you pay for a lootbox.

If you want a certain car in Forza you buy the car, they’re all available. You can get cars at random within loot-boxes, but looking for them thar way would be something only a nutter would do. The mods are now a different thing, they’ve changed it, now you’re gonna have to grind more for credits, fair enough, it throws tons at you anyway, perhaps their stats showed bumping a few aids off, increasing difficulty, taking off the racing line etc etc meant people had an adverse amount of credits too soon in the game? Yes they’re monetising it, but how is earning less credit damaging your enjoyment of the game? It’s gonna slow down your progress in purchasing cars perhaps but it’s not affecting you racing.

You are getting a complete game. You can speed up your collection of cars, driver costumes and mods if you wish. But you’re getting the racing game with the most tracks, cars, competitions, online sturdiness etc etc that you can buy on console right now not to mention at 60fps 4K. You are buying a complete game, you’re also being offered quicker routes of progression with randomised bonuses if you wish it.

I’ll be getting it and grinding through it as I’ll be in no rush.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Isn’t it exhausting watching videos moaning about the same thing over and over that people are voting for with their wallets? If people wanna skip the grind then so be it, what’s the issue, they’ve paid for it, their choice how to play and choose their time versus reward isn’t it? The Forza series has always thrown a ridiculous amount of credits at you. I’ve hardly played Forza in years but the Forza reward site still wants to gift me absurd amounts. The Destiny shaders are there via grind, Ive got bloody hundreds, it’s ALL cosmetic in Destiny. The LoTR stuff is available via grind. Battlefronts system isn’t fully known as it’s not out yet. Forza has put previous boosts behind in game credit available purchases ‘Prize Crates’ , it’ll slow down credit making and farming the same race for more? Its a way to bypass grind for those who can’t be bothered. Fine with me. That guy can’t of spent any money on F7 transactions as you can’t use real money yet it’s all in game CR for now. It must of been one of the others or complete nonsense. You pays your money you makes your choice. So you take these away and how many people complain as they don’t have the time to grind for this or for that? They’re here because the market not only asked for them but obviously fully backs them. Not only that but in a market where the future of the dev etc may be on a knife edge, if they wanna throw stuff out there to potentially ensure the future of that series or the dev as a whole with a slight increase on the revenue streams of that game then go for it. I’m not sure how much gets back to them or if it matters on any realistic scale, but games are a business so you can’t be surprised they want to make money.
    It's ok to not be happy that other people are being taken advantage of even if you aren't. But even selfishly, if games are being restructured to incentivise further transactions, that affects everyone. The only game I've played that has this stuff is Rocket League which is (more or less) only cosmetic. Before they were brought in you'd get loads of extras for completing matches. Now you get very little and anything rare is hidden in loot boxes. None of that's important admittedly. But they've taken what was a fun extra feature and fucked it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    According to this Ars article, you’re going to have the option to turn off tokens in F7 altogether.
  • It's a rancid business model, and I hope the majority of gamers vote with their wallets and just don't buy these titles, or if they do, at least don't buy the fucking loot boxes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    don't buy the fucking loot boxes.

This approach has been working for me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Yes, but if progression in a game is designed around loot boxes, then we're all suffering even if you don't buy them.
  • 4billion a year for activision suggests that enough money is being made for it to stay. I think I’d be more cool with it if it didn’t prick most harshly in such a psychological way and potentially destructive. The sort of ambivalence that it doesn’t really matter because it makes money is kind of gross, and the im alright jack crap is similarly wearing.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    You have hundreds sure. How many Nebula Rose do you have?
    I’ll check, but if you really really REALLY want it, buy it! Buy it with silver dust that you can get from the hundreds of ghosts you get from Eververse, or other shaders, or emotes. If not....find something else. That isn’t as horrible.

They only ever sell 3 shaders at a time, and there is no way to know which ones will be sold when. This is the point, for the most part you can't buy a specific item, it's blind buying through Bright Engrams.
  • g.man wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Yes, but if progression in a game is designed around loot boxes, then we're all suffering even if you don't buy them.

I think it’s a bit limited to focus ire on merely gameplay affecting mods.

Essentially games are a balance of creative endeavours, to an extent the difference between a ww2 cod and a modern one is purely in the graphics.

If games taunt you perpetually (or other people) while playing even through aesthetic modifications I think that’s a pretty horrible thing to do to a human who has paid to play a game.

• Verecocha wrote:
    They’re here because the market not only asked for them but obviously fully backs them.
    This isn't true at all either. It's not like players were hammering on the devs doors demanding a structured payment system for progression within a game. If it was consumer driven then surely this could just all be free. Devs saw it working on mobile and then went all
    QFx5YZA.gif

and now they're everywhere. Given the backlash, I don't think you can say they have 'full-backing' either.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    g.man wrote:

If it is then that’s true, but I’m yet to play anything where I felt that to be the case.
  • @Monkey, I entirely understand your point of view that some may be taken advantage of, but isn’t that the case with anything and everything in the entire world? Where does the book stop? How do you police those matters and if said policing is possible how important is DLC loot boxes if something could indeed be done?

I work as a Prison Officer and all day I have to listen to people moaning about how it’s not their fault etc etc, yes that is at the very far end of the scale, but if people have issues then they need to address them however difficult. If overspending on in game currency happens to be an issue then in the grand scheme of things that’s absolutely fine with me, spend £14,000 on in game purchases (don’t believe that at all) hopefully they’ll learn something from it. If they don’t, I’ll have very very little sympathy for them as there’s much much worse going on than people fighting personal difficulties purchasing in game content boosters. That may seem harsh and everybody’s own personal fight is at the top of their scale, but the real world scale is very different.

Perhaps not fully backed, but by the majority, or potentially a minority spending a very large amount each, either way it’s how the world works and the backing these things are getting makes them more than worthwhile.

So people playing these games on mobiles weren’t gamers? And I’d also take the route of the massive success of them in increments as asking for them. Not literally writing a letter, but buying up every iteration is asking for more of the same and potentially more. All they did was answer the buyers. Again, it’s the same in everything.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    g.man wrote:

I think it’s a bit limited to focus ire on merely gameplay affecting mods.

Essentially games are a balance of creative endeavours, to an extent the difference between a ww2 cod and a modern one is purely in the graphics.

If games taunt you perpetually (or other people) while playing even through aesthetic modifications I think that’s a pretty horrible thing to do to a human who has paid to play a game.

I haven’t really felt taunted in any games either. Maybe a smidge in RL once, but when I’d learnt that loot crates cost money to unlock, I’ve just ignored them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!