General Games News
  • I think it's fair to be angry at Ubisoft for what seems to be a gross oversight and coverup of bad behaviour within their company. I think removing the HR department head is also good too. I'm not sure where I'll stand with their games but luckily I don't like most of what they produce.

But I think more credit needs to be given to someone like the guy who released that statement. I, obviously, don't know the full details of what happened or if he is telling the full truth or what. But I do want to believe in rehabilitation and ownership of personal faults and moving forward. It certainly didn't sound like he was trying to deflect or distance himself for what he has done. It also doesn't mean he is excused for his actions, but it gives him the opportunity to become a better person and grow.

And really, growing and learning from our mistakes is what we all need to do to make a better world. We all have our flaws, we all have some work we could do to improve, to be better.
  • The one Gav linked to? Seems to me to only contain deflection and distancing.
  • Which parts? Read to me more like a personal ignorance in understanding how his actions affected people. I certainly think it's possible to not be aware if there's nothing in place to manage and police such behaviour which sounds like was the case at Ubisoft.

Anyway, I don't really want to argue the little details in it. I just wanted to say that I believe in rehabilitation. Because what's the alternative and how does that help anyone?
  • nick_md wrote:
    I heard one take that was, if you want to support/enjoy the art without supporting someone problematic, pirate it. That was in reference to R-Kelly at the time, but it seems even better suited to large-team efforts like film/games, you can ensure the hard work of the staff is seen and appreciated, without giving financial support to the problematic entity itself.

I dunno, in the long run that ensures that the staff end up unemployed.

It’s hard to hurt a company without ultimately hurting its employees. I suspect it might be best done through government - policy, regulation, etc. I’m not sure though. It’s a thorny problem and I struggle to have clear opinions.
  • I just wanted to say that I believe in rehabilitation. Because what's the alternative and how does that help anyone?

I think the collective action from Warren Ellis’ victims has a strong take on this.

If you haven’t seen it and you’re curious, the website’s So Many of Us.

I think this general vibe is particularly hopeful:
    To be clear, our aim is not to see Warren Ellis punished, we are here to look forward. We believe it is important to amplify awareness of a pattern to change the culture of complicity.

• Making it about money is a take I haven’t seen before. Might be interesting to watch and see if it’s a motivator that works.
  • You can camoflage it a bit but I think how and what performance markers are getting pretty normal. This is an easy way to advertise it as a change and include the carrot version that reporters can gobble up.

If they just said “our performance markers will now include behavioural aspects” the easiest cynical take is to say “why would anyone do it!”

I think they are in an impossible situation now based on their own blindness and they deserve the pain but that doesn’t make them irredeemable either.

You have to assume that with all of these problems being public they’d be paying a lot in tribunal fees and settlements and so on.
  • Jesus, I thought you meant Warren Ellis Warren Ellis for a moment there.
  • Comic book Warren Ellis, rather than Music Warren Ellis
  • poprock wrote:
    I just wanted to say that I believe in rehabilitation. Because what's the alternative and how does that help anyone?

I think the collective action from Warren Ellis’ victims has a strong take on this.

If you haven’t seen it and you’re curious, the website’s So Many of Us.

I think this general vibe is particularly hopeful:
    To be clear, our aim is not to see Warren Ellis punished, we are here to look forward. We believe it is important to amplify awareness of a pattern to change the culture of complicity.

I have not, thanks for the link
  • I think the counter to g's point, which has some merit, is that when it's systemic within a company, it really should be all methods of resistance/protest on the table. Yes, abuse happens in lots of circumstances, but not every company is top down hr included mess.

Throwing hands up just continues the problem.

Cynicism isn't actually an answer. Imo etc, it's a mess etc.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'm not suggesting for a minute that people should be throwing their hands up and being cynical about any of this. I'm just pointing out that this sort of revolting shite can be found virtually everywhere you care to look. So where do you draw the line when it comes to games, or films, or tv, or music, or sport, or whatever else you consume? Are you just going to boycott Ubisoft, but keep on buying everything else? It's super complicated, and I certainly don't have the answer.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I might be wrong but I can't help but think its probably ten times worse at Japanese companies, but it just doesn't get out because it's the norm. Which is even more horrifying.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I might be wrong but I can't help but think its probably ten times worse at Japanese companies, but it just doesn't get out because it's the norm. Which is even more horrifying.

Sorry, what’s the norm at Japanese companies?  I’m not hyper aware of their work practices other than ‘do loads of hours’ but do you mean that there’s a weird level of sexual and miso abuse and it’s more rife there?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I don't know, but they should totally fire that norm guy.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Norma is a woman, don't be sexist
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Goodbye Norma Jin.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah that's fucked up and the next Ubi stuff can get in the bin.

I used to joke about EA buying Ubisoft but now I think it would be an improvement.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So, thinking about the past page or so, apologies for this stream of stuff.

None of this stuff exists within a bubble, and there is certainly a massive pattern of men in niche or marginalised groups rising to the top and abusing their positions - the comics stuff recently has certainly further attested this, and the implosion of streamers, and specifically esports (rip smash community) further supports it.
    That said.

This is (primarily) a games forum, and we are in the games news thread, and what has come up is about a fairly major games company. That's what we are discussing, and to other it by saying it happens everywhere is a deflection away from systemic abuses of a variety of sorts in Ubisoft. We can't just say "ah well, it's the same everywhere and always has been" because we don't move on. And certainly saying "ah it's probably worse in other cultures because nothing comes out" doesn't support anyone.

Ubisoft are in the spotlight now, and if you really care about causing change, show them that you don't tolerate this shit. Dont play Siege / The Division for the next while. Certainly don't give them money or pre order any games. Give them an impact, no matter whether you think it is negligible or not. Otherwise, to simply go "ach well what difference does it make if I fire up AC for a hours" shows that it doesn't really bother you at all.

Sorry for all that spraff.
  • poprock wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    I heard one take that was, if you want to support/enjoy the art without supporting someone problematic, pirate it. That was in reference to R-Kelly at the time, but it seems even better suited to large-team efforts like film/games, you can ensure the hard work of the staff is seen and appreciated, without giving financial support to the problematic entity itself.
    I dunno, in the long run that ensures that the staff end up unemployed. It’s hard to hurt a company without ultimately hurting its employees. I suspect it might be best done through government - policy, regulation, etc. I’m not sure though. It’s a thorny problem and I struggle to have clear opinions.

Aye it's a fair point.

I like Reg's timed-boycott idea.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think the thing that separates Ubisoft is it's systemic specifically to the company. It's not just a few bad eggs, and while the industry has issues they generally don't appear to be quite as severe as this. Something is really wrong when you have a global company with a rapey culture permeating across varied international locations. So it's not like refusing to watch a Woody Allen film or, like, boycotting the dairy industry. It's specifically Ubisoft that deserves to be targeted.

Re: boycotting, it's difficult because I think the key is how effectual the response is once it all comes out. We're still very much in the middle of it. Ubisoft should feel the threat of consumer boycott but the crunch point for consumers is whether they act on it, I think. Rockstar is reportedly turning itself around. Ubisoft could start to do the same or its response could be ineffectual in which case I think that poses real ethical concerns for its consumers. But in the meantime I wouldn't blame anyone that feels uncomfortable supporting Ubisoft products for taking their money elsewhere - people have an absolute right to not support a company with a rapey company culture if they don't want.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • My general system is that I keep myself informed, pay general attention to what is going on.
    Then when stuff like this with Ubisoft or R Kelly or Harvey Weinstein comes up I have to make a decision if I feel comfortable consuming that media anymore.

I don't need to justify that to anyone as I've done my homework.

If I do decide to actively avoid consuming certain media I'm happy to talk about why and then whoever is listening needs to make their decision and educate themselves.

Can't do much more that.
  • Reg and Gav are where I’m at with it. I’m not giving it a pass just because it happens elsewhere. It’s something I can have a minor effect on and so I will. Maybe it won’t make much difference overall but I’ve been made aware of really shitty corporate practices, the subsequent attempts at cover up and then the scramble to lessen the impact on their sales and share price and all show behaviour I don’t really like.
    G certainly makes a valid point about it probably goes on elsewhere/everywhere but that still doesn’t make me feel like ignoring this one.
  • For the record. I was not for one second suggesting that anyone should ignore it. It's a complex and widespread problem that's worthy of discussion as to what people as individuals can effectively do about it to force change.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'd agree with much of Reg's post, except perhaps don't worry about impact. I see it as more a case of 'fuck this shit, I don't want to deal with these people anymore.' So even if it's just you, and no one else does the same, it still feels worthwhile. (And if anything bigger does come of it, then great.)

And I think it's important psychologically to act on individual cases that seem particularly severe. The danger with ethical consumerism is that it can feel like we've got all the responsibility and guilt for all the shitty practices that go on, because it's up to us to inform ourselves about our decisions, which is impossible to do all the time. We should reject that idea.

It's true of course that just about everything is tainted with exploitation of some form. As far as that goes, I think it's best to consume less overall, since the system relies on waste and excess.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    One other thing I don't think we've touched on - I think it gets very difficult to separate the product with the people who worked on it when it comes out at the same time that AC Origins was semi-autobiographical but the same guy also had inappropriate sexual relations with various women at work for years. And we've also found out recently the behaviour at Ubisoft has filtered into a ton of other major creative decisions. So it makes the whole thing very icky.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I'd agree with much of Reg's post, except perhaps don't worry about impact. I see it as more a case of 'fuck this shit, I don't want to deal with these people anymore.' So even if it's just you, and no one else does the same, it still feels worthwhile. (And if anything bigger does come of it, then great.)

And I think it's important psychologically to act on individual cases that seem particularly severe. The danger with ethical consumerism is that it can feel like we've got all the responsibility and guilt for all the shitty practices that go on, because it's up to us to inform ourselves about our decisions, which is impossible to do all the time. We should reject that idea.

It's true of course that just about everything is tainted with exploitation of some form. As far as that goes, I think it's best to consume less overall, since the system relies on waste and excess.

This is it. It's dead easy to go 'well it happens at Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, im sure' potentially to highlight hypocrisy, but again that's an exercise against someone taking a stand rather than actually tackling the perpetrators.

As a weird one, having been a Smiths obsessive, seeing Morrissey somewhere like 8-9 times live, reading Morrissey's autobiography (and, at the time, defending it even though it's poorly written) Flora and i haven't listened to either the Smiths or Morrissey on Spotify in probably 4-5 years now as he is the worst. I don't need to defend a man who is solvent for life.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd also echo Jon's "just consume less" and it's something I have tried to do over the past year.
  • I like Morrissey, but I don't like Morrissey.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!