General Games News
  • Yes!

I was gonna start a thread to get some forum action going but if someone else wants to do it, that’s good too.

Fall Guys Friday! Catchy, no?
  • Let’s do this!

Fall guys is gonna be a banger. Can you get the Aussies in?
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fdKWOHrdE
    New hbomberguy.

just watxhing it in absolute shock. 17 seasons of Red vs Blue isn't even the biggest shock.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Not sure I have the energy for this one. Eight months since his last video and he's been doing it on... this? He gets a $5000 a month patreon payment. I feel like a bunch of the youtube enterprise is entirely suss at this point.
  • Why does a pro tv show look like the B level cutscenes of fire emblem 3 houses?
  • I've never really watched him so I dont know what his deal is, but looking at the Patreon (after which I still really dont know what his deal is) it seems he cant monetise his videos because of YouTubes content ID bollocks, and he pays someone to produce the videos, and also commissions art and music. Which does seem like it would cost.

I'm certainly not going to watch a two and a half hour video about why a TV show I've never seen is disappointing to find out if there is anything to justify the expense, but I wouldnt automatically write it off from the surface level info I've seen.
  • I've been following the guy for years, not automatically writing him off.
  • The terrifying thing about YouTube, for me, is that there’s so much talent on there and they work their ass off for what must be bupkis on a gamble. if this guy is just making £5k a month (not chump change but not really secure either given the way it comes) and you see other talented people on a tenth of the subscribers - the whole thing looks like a false mans pyramid scheme that eats people’s hearts for the promise of a dream.

There’s the Lucky Penny Shop guy with 2m subscribers but I don’t think he makes the money of a toy back on his vids (if he’s being honest).
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think it's quite difficult for Lego YouTubers because it's so expensive. If you don't hit critical mass you don't get free sets or enough money to fund sets.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Cuphead has been announced for PS4 and is out now. New Geoff Keighley summer jam vid just announced it.
  • … the whole thing looks like a false mans pyramid scheme that eats people’s hearts for the promise of a dream.

It’s the new gold dream. YouTube has replaced the music industry for suburban youth with big dreams. Wanna be famous? Wanna make money from your passion and talent alone? Fuck learning instruments and starting a band. Get that sponsorship dollar on YouTube instead. Thing is, the success/failure ratio is as harsh as it ever was in the music industry. For every Youtube millionaire there are hundreds of thousands of people streaming their content to a void of no viewers and no earnings.
  • My old flatmate has given up his job to try and become a full time streamer, mostly on Destiny 2. He's a good fun guy and I wish him well, but... Um.... Yeah.

It's a different world.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Not sure I have the energy for this one. Eight months since his last video and he's been doing it on... this? He gets a $5000 a month patreon payment. I feel like a bunch of the youtube enterprise is entirely suss at this point.

I admire him not putting out “content” for contents sake as a lot of Youtubers do but....yeah. It’s very much a “breadtube” thing, no doubt.
  • It's how you end up with endless shill channels, doing 'reviews' that may or may not be sponsored ads. Unscrupulous marketing folk can bully the smaller channels too -

Fuck money.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Not sure I have the energy for this one. Eight months since his last video and he's been doing it on... this? He gets a $5000 a month patreon payment. I feel like a bunch of the youtube enterprise is entirely suss at this point.

I admire him not putting out “content” for contents sake as a lot of Youtubers do but....yeah. It’s very much a “breadtube” thing, no doubt.

He is breadtube (ie lefty stuff as far as I understand the definition), but this is very much about the writing process etc. So pure Lindsay Ellis territory.

He gets a big pass from me for having produced some unfuckwithable great stuff on important topics. When he wants to get facts right and mount an argument about real world stuff, he's very on point.

I did not know what rooster teeth went on to become, at all. So the whole thing is fascinating to me. I also give him credit because he does stuff well enough that even if you have no interest in subject, he entertains in his own right.

For him, I am happy folks are hitting him with $5k a month.

The cgi stuff in this is actually really impressive and really cleverly used.

I watched about 45 minutes last night in bewilderment, but I wasn't bored.

(I would heartily recommend looking through his older stuff, if you see a topic you like, he will be a brilliant watch.)

But still, 17 seasons of red vs blue.

I just constantly get surprised seeing what's become of stuff that was around when we were at height of h2 on maroon room and seeing what that's turned into.
  • Let’s do this! Fall guys is gonna be a banger. Can you get the Aussies in?

Tim's a bit of a buzzkill at the moment (dang babies) but I'll see what I can do.
  • I watched all the hbomb vid, found it very interesting and watchable (he's rarely not), some of that Monty Oum stuff was great, hadn't heard of him before. It was also interesting to see how something can fail whilst doing a lot right, production sounds like a nightmare on that thing, and I'd suspect Oum had as much a part to play as the writers.
  • I was surprised by RvB still going. Those were the days. "Lift with your back, it's your strongest muscle". Still makes me chuckle.

I do think 8 months is a bit long between videos when it's your job but I also find that I watch his videos for longer than I originally intended when I start them because they usually are quite interesting and well presented. Not sure they need to be 2 and a half hours long though.
  • In other news, anyone going to plump the big cash for an Analogue Pocket? Preorders on the 3rd of August. A handheld that can run essentially all handheld cartridges? Hmmmmmm.

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/
  • I was surprised by RvB still going. Those were the days. "Lift with your back, it's your strongest muscle". Still makes me chuckle.

I do think 8 months is a bit long between videos when it's your job but I also find that I watch his videos for longer than I originally intended when I start them because they usually are quite interesting and well presented. Not sure they need to be 2 and a half hours long though.

I don't think I've seen him do one this long before, certainly not the norm, it's usually like 40min or so. Must be a particular passion piece.
  • Most of his are shorter but he does do regular ones like that over an hour and a half if you look through his vids. His previous one about Pathologic was over 2 hours too.
  • My old flatmate has given up his job to try and become a full time streamer, mostly on Destiny 2. He's a good fun guy and I wish him well, but... Um.... Yeah.

It's a different world.

It creates a measurable output on par with investment banking imo.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Most of his are shorter but he does do regular ones like that over an hour and a half if you look through his vids. His previous one about Pathologic was over 2 hours too.

I started and then lost a save of pathologic 2. Should probably just watch the vid.

Ah fair enough, haven't checked his channel for a while.
  • I found the Pathologic video to be interesting but, same as this one, I can't help but feel it could be presented much more efficiently.
  • In other news, anyone going to plump the big cash for an Analogue Pocket? Preorders on the 3rd of August. A handheld that can run essentially all handheld cartridges? Hmmmmmm.

Im v temped - especially with the neo geo adapter and maybe the gbc one.

• Did anyone play pathologic 2? It had some crackling atmosphere but I found it too open and too rough to play (I guess I like the normal comfortable ness afforded by most games too much). I gave it a shot but I didn’t know what I was doing and coupled with the survival aspects it just became something I didn’t want to try as I felt I was banging my head a fair bit without knowing to what purpose.

Im v temped - especially with the neo geo adapter and maybe the gbc one.

Think Redeye might be biting he has been talking about it in the Retro thread.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!