Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think they nutted out Essendon's plan but also the frenetic pace that Essendon played at was not sustainable.  When they dropped off a touch and started to hang on to the ball, Cats clicked into gear as that's how Geelong prefer it.  They set up ahead of the ball, create turnovers on slow play and cut you up on the way back.  The majority of Geelong's scores come from turnovers; I think this is in part due to having most of their ruck division down, thus limiting clearance effectiveness, but it works a treat. 

If Geelong played a team that could play the way Essendon played in that second quarter for a full game, they'd lose by some margin.  Fortunately, that is near impossible. 

North did it to Geelong for a half and only poor conversion stopped Geelong clearing out by 5 goals or so, but the Hawks are the best team they've played thus far.  They are consistent throughout a game and don't play in patches like most teams.

Anyway, I'd say the Bombers need more out of Goddard.  He needs to be the distributor off half back a la Bartel for Geelong.  Putting the ball in the hands of the right man once the ball is turned over is critical.  He looks to be playing more of a midfield role to mine eye but I haven't watched them much.

Interestingly, the team that likely stands between us and Hawthorn of the 80s is in fact Hawthorn.  If they somehow rolled us in another GF I think I'd just about pack it in and go to live in a log cabin in the Pilliga.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Agreed pretty much on all counts there. Essendon's start to the second quarter is what they want to be doing all game. They did it for far longer periods vs Collingwood, for example. I suspect that if Essendon had been dead accurate in the third term, it would have been a different story. Geelong's pressure really worked wonders for them, as did their ability to score goals from seemingly innocuous setups.

Going to be a very important next six weeks though. I get the feeling the top four-six will start to take some form, and teams that are slacking off a it (eg Collingwood) might be found wanting.

I reckon teams to keep a watch on will be North Melbourne, Carlton and Fremantle. I think those three have been on the verge of some really solid form, but haven't yet had the results.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Freo are my dark horse.  After what they did to Collingwood, I'd wager they won't lose at home again and will be a pain away besides.  Carlton don't play finals football, haven't for years.  When the pressure is on in finals, their smaller, lighter, faster bodies are found wanting IMO.  They need the Swans' Kennedy to be able to go deep into finals.  Anyway, speculative.  North have a good mix, strong bodies around the ball and some quality tall players.

Dons were very good vs Pies and if they can replicate that often enough, they should finish top 4 and be trouble for most teams.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Oh Melbourne.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I know.  Good thing it wasn't on FTA.  They might fold by the next rights deal.
  • So what was the thing you were up in arms about the other day Skerret?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Oh yeah.  Video review for a goal that may or may not have been touched.  Can't find video so I'll have to describe it, but latorz as I am now in haste.  It was a joke though, embarrassing.  Some brilliant games still, great season thus far.
  • Also, we have a charity screening of The Great Gatsby going on at the Palace Westgarth on Tuesday 4th of June. get in.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Charity?  I don't like sound of that...
  • I know, you get a reasonably priced ticket to see what should be a cracking movie at one of the best cinemas in melbourne and HH makes some money. Sounds terrible.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hmmf, I'll check my schedule.
  • Essendon's season over. Beaten by thugs of brisbane.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • 464576_523339371036062_859995626_o.jpg
  • Goodes is a classy player the way he handled that.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If Bigfooty is representative of a substantial portion of the population, may dog have mercy on us all.
  • Geez her "apology" on the news seemed so genuine....
  • What's this story with the woman about then?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    This should explain it.  The word 'ape' was used apparently.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Roos, wtf

I was watching the game, there was about 10 minutes left and the Roos were up by 30 points, so I went for a shower.  I come back to find Adelaide had kicked five goals including one in the last 20 seconds to pinch it.  WAT
  • heh. It was pretty funny. Gotta be messing with heads, but also a fitness issue.

Also, another dingbat in the croud being a moron at the collingwood game. It's somewhat interesting that it's been all collingwood fans over the course of all these incidents. (Right back to Winmar.)

17Winmar-ipad-620x349.jpg
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    CULCHA

Also I believe we're all winners this weekend.
  • Skerret wrote:
    If Bigfooty is representative of a substantial portion of the population, may dog have mercy on us all.

I've never visited that cesspit and I believe that may be for the better (at least for my sanity). Occasionally I'll visit bomberblitz, until The Lid gets glued back on for another year.
  • Kulcha.jpg
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    yeh not them
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    I've never visited that cesspit and I believe that may be for the better (at least for my sanity). Occasionally I'll visit bomberblitz, until The Lid gets glued back on for another year.
    I'll check the Geelong bit of BF and that's pretty good for the most part.  The Collingwood or Hawk boards are like stepping back in time 30 years.  The Goodes thread on the mainboard was proper car crash, I couldn't look away.  To be fair the mods did delete the more offensive shite but some of it got through in quote form.  Some idiot on SEN now wondering if players aren't as thick skinned as they used to be.  Why am I listening to this shite.  Mindless noise while I do this lecture then.

The notion that 'what if a black man called a caucasian player a white cunt eh what about that' is all too common sadly.  They just don't get it and there's no excuse not to really.
  • Skerret wrote:
    lol, i read a post where some guy theorised that Goodes had orchestrated the whole thing to deflect from his knee slide the other week and to have his own legendary Winmar moment.
    Facewon wrote:
    heh. It was pretty funny. Gotta be messing with heads, but also a fitness issue.

Was a bizarre last five minutes.  not sure if it was a coaching issue of the players just going to water, but they had a couple of great opportunities to play keepings off and take the win, even with ~1 minute left on the clock.  No one running for a cheap unconested mark, no one dropping back into the defensive 50.  As much as I lost it at the end, how the hell did this happen?  I'm not complaining of course!

PS

BLLhOcoCAAAVdLY.jpg:large
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good god.  Fear of a black planet on the front row there.  Fear of a blank planet one row back.
  • Way to lead from the front, Ed.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Dear goodness me, what a cockup.  I can kind of see how his brain made the link and don't doubt the lack of intent behind it, but fucking hell, could such an utterance come from anyone less appropriate given recent circumstances (no)?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!