Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good day at the footy all up. Cracking finish.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Terrified for the Essendon v Fremantle game now. Bombers dont travel well in recent years. Should be a cracker game though.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Some amazing season so far, at least four blinders a week.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Reasonable article in The age this morning from Rohan Connoly suggesting the AFL probably needs to get hands on with Melbourne and treat them almost like GWS and GC.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Saw the second half of Syd v GC. Two things of note: GC look much better. Still fade outs and whatnot, but they'll give quite a few teams a shake this year. Gotta figure they'll be pushing for finals (7th or 8th) next year, if all goes well. Certainly I reckon they'd be disappointed with anything less than the top quarter of the bottom 8.

Sydney have to be thanking the fixture for the start they've had. GWS then GC at home. Short of following up with melbourne, it's a nice soft start to the season. And going on the uneven play, I suspect we needed it. Still, 2 wins is 2 wins.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Reasonable article in The age this morning from Rohan Connoly suggesting the AFL probably needs to get hands on with Melbourne and treat them almost like GWS and GC.

Agreed. They need a project coach like Leigh Matthews too.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yeah, of the coaches out of contract at the moment, you'd think it'd be Roos or Lethal that need to come in. And then some. Really needs to be a top to bottom assessment.

Heck, they might need Phil Jackson.
  • Yes, roos would fit. They need a better spread of experience too, they have no senior players to speak of and most of them are too small and young compared with other afl sides
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Roos blathers on incessantly as a special comments man and almost came to tears at the prospect of Geelong winning v North for some reason.  OOOHH NOOOOOO, AHHHHH

Get Pagan in there, he'll crack some heads.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    or a pagan, any pagan
  • Skerret wrote:
    Roos blathers on incessantly as a special comments man and almost came to tears at the prospect of Geelong winning v North for some reason.  OOOHH NOOOOOO, AHHHHH

Did Billie Smedts remind him more of Goodsey or Joey Kennedy?
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I think they really need an exceptional coach, not just a good one (eg Neil Craig who is currently there as football development coach is not a great one).

Someone of the calibre of Sheedy, Malthouse, Matthews or Pagan would be a good fit, since they have history of developing young squads and of success. Melbourne can't afford to go for a low tier option again, it's hurting them.

I don't think all the blame lies with the coach, but the problem is clearly one of low standards in terms of recruiting, training and that probably all comes back to money. A strong coach or a smart coach (eg Ross Lyon, Paul Roos, John Longmire, Mark Thompson) would be able to do a lot with smarter selections rather than just more money for big names.

Of if they want to save money, Ron Barrassi would do it for free I guess.
  • Pagan probably shouldn't be on that list.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Agreed, his time is long past and he built success on the back on one player, the likes of which Melbourne do not nor have ever had (maybe Barassi).

John Kennedy?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Did Billie Smedts remind him more of Goodsey or Joey Kennedy?
    Goodesy got a mention at one stage from memory.  Football commentary is still waaay behind other elite sports.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Pagan probably shouldn't be on that list.

Eh fair enough. David Parkin perhaps? Just throwing out names of coaches who have known success.

In which case, loathe as I am to admit it lest he leave Essendon, Mark Thompson would be the best bet. I doubt he is reading this post, but you never know.
  • Parkin, now he'd scare some of them.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tony Jewell or Killigrew still about?

EDIT: Killigrew is dead 12 years.  Might still be a better option then Neeld though.
  • T shirt tommy!!
  • What have you done, Hirdy.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Erk, just reading now.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Seriously inflammatory headline amounting to not much more than conjecture really.  The coach took a substance that would be banned for athletes but they weren't taking it.  The anti obesity drug is covered by WADA only in the loose "catch-all" sense.

HIRD INJECTED DRUGS makes it sound like he's on the horse.  If that's the extent then a slap on the wrist is coming.  Hird is not that stupid.
  • I'm going to sit in the innocent til proven guilty camp, but I expect once all this ASADA stuff is sorted, there are going to be a lot of slander/libel charges brought against large swathes of the football commentariat, specifically in the print media.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I doubt it.  Media almost always gets off scott free.  Geelong will come out clean as usual.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    What an amazing game.  A big fuck you to Vlad for being a prick and fuck you to the umpires for having little grasp on the game at that speed.  A big cheers to the Bombers.  What a season this is so far, ripping matches everywhere.
  • This just in: Andrew Demetrio asked to step down until investigations are completed as to whether or not he is Caroline Wilson's Puppet.

One of the most satisfying wins in a long, long time.
  • Also, is this thread truly secret? Can we discuss the Ashes plans to win courtesy of Faulkner and Bird?
  • Vela wrote:
    Also, is this thread truly secret? Can we discuss the Ashes plans to win courtesy of Faulkner and Bird?

woah there sonny jim.

Anderson will swing your lot into pirrouettes.
  • Time for Plan B.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Cricket?  Selective amnesia has set in for the time being so I don't recall cricket.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!